• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Steam Locos

Railways have always taken second pace in my transport interests. However, the old GWR, subsequently BR(W), was paramount to the other line that could be encountered in the Midlands.
As I have recorded elsewhere on BHF my main railway viewpoints (apart from the bottom of my garden) were on other parts of the North Warwickshire line, particularly at the quite halts south of Shirley. Wood End was a favourite.
A ride out to Hatton Bank was always worthwhile. especially with the extra trains of summertime. A holiday in the Weymouth area gave me the opportunity to see the Channel Island train winding along the quayside - more GWR territory - the main fascination was, of course the guards with flags that accompanied the train, on foot, plus the fracas with motor vehicles obstructing the railway line.
New Street was the venue for a train to Blackpool - which I detested. The only redeeming factor for the place were the tramcars. :grinning: One area I often visited was the Potteries. Lots of dirty LMS (BR- M) locomotives but my interest was in the colliery and steel works that they serviced. I was not totally committed to number crunching but in the mechanics of railways in general.

Alan,

That was a nice memory - the Weymouth Boat Train to the Channels Islands. Travelled on that several times when we took the kids on holidays to Guernsey. Best holidays ever and over the course of a fortnight we walked the whole perimeter of the island from Perelle, where we rented a cottage, exploring bunkers, the underground hospital, and other ruins from WW2. What started out as a brand new pushchair a few days before we left Bournemouth, ended up as nigh on a wreck by the time we got it back home! But good exercise and most enjoyable holidays. In later years I really used to miss that train creeping slowly along Weymouth Quay.

Maurice :)

Alan,

That was a nice memory - the Weymouth Boat Train to the Channels Islands. Travelled on that several times when we took the kids on holidays to Guernsey. Best holidays ever and over the course of a fortnight we walked the whole perimeter of the island from Perelle, where we rented a cottage, exploring bunkers, the underground hospital, and other ruins from WW2. What started out as a brand new pushchair a few days before we left Bournemouth, ended up as nigh on a wreck by the time we got it back home! But good exercise and most enjoyable holidays. In later years I really used to miss that train creeping slowly along Weymouth Quay.

Maurice :)
wot? no steam?

Just looking back on the posts on this threads here was talk about the streamlined Coronation Class.It was brilliant to go to Tamworth in the field alongside the platform and at about12 o clock someone wouldshout Clangers or Main and up from London would come a SEMI in Maroon or Blue on the Royal Scot bound for Glasgow.What a Marvellous sight at about 80 MPH thundering down the track.Took some good photos on my Brownie 127 of them.But long gone

Most of the ones I found, and i was in a hurry to go out, were the ones I remember from more recent years when vehicles parked on the track were either bumped & manhandled out of the way or towed away - but alas, not steam.

Maurice

adap2it.this is the one.Sorry it's a bit blurred but it was 1958.Got loads more see if I can get them on
Don't forget it was a Brownie 127 couldn't focus with it

Last edited:
We have seen a lot of dirty looking Midland Region/LMS locomotives, here is a beautiful ex GWR one, in fine condition.
This locomotive is presently undergoing is overhaul; it belongs to the Dart Valley Railway PLC. and be hired out to the East Somerset Railway in 2020.

Alan,just remember these photos are of the time that these engines worked for a living.Got some photos of GWR at Tysley in the same state.GWR only respected the Kings,Castles Manors and Halls forgot about the rest.Got some nice LMS& EASTERN being looked after have you not seen TORNADO

Been looking in my Private Cupboards today.Found my IAN ALLEN members badge.2 Combined Books 4 Region numbers books a Shed Directory ( how to get to them) and about 8-9 books with all the numbers spotted .Even theScottish ones.What Memories sitting looking at them and the miles we cycled and the train rides we went on.Great times.Been showing my Gr/Son.

Two photos taken recently on the North Norfolk Railway. This is a private line that runs from Holt to Sheringham.
76084 at Holt and LNER 8572 near Weybourne Station. Diesel 12131 is also in this picture. Dave.
P1000415.JPGP1000408 (2).JPG

Farmerdave,last time I went to Sheringham was in 1980,think they had the Royal Scot there at the time

I am very fortunate in that two heritage/tourist type lines are fairly close to me. The Dartmouth line (Paington to Kingswear) and a little further away the Totnes- Buckfastleigh one. Given certain wind direction I often hear the whistles of the locomotives on the Dartmouth line when they leave intermediate stations and also when entering a tunnel. There is an American locomotive running again there this year and is noticeable by its chime rather than GWR style whistle.

Last edited:
Eric,!what a great little workshop that seems to be.Living here in Kent we don't hear of places like that

Maryland also has the Western Maryland Scenic Railway:
Quite a few You Tube videos, in which a good friend of mine can be seen. Sadly he died a couple of years ago.
In the neighbouring state of West Virginia this place, with those wonderful strange looking locos can be seen and ridden upon.

Back