• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Thanks Mary, your memory is good. I was pleased with myself for recognising Gill and John! Like you I moved around a fair bit so didn’t stay in touch with any of the class. I bumped into Alan Glover when I was about 20, we did a day trip to London together and met up a couple of other times but lost touch again.
Jenny
Oow now which one is Alan Glover? I remember the name, but not the face. Alan Osborne, behind Tony Hill, emigrated to Australia I believe.

I can’t see anyone who may resemble Alan Glover, he had fair hair with a red tinge. Perhaps he wasn’t at school when the photo was taken or my eyes are failing. So many people went off to Australia in the 60’s.
Jenny

If anyone on here was at Dorrington Road Infants circa 1956...before being consigned to Doodleboys Hall (sorry, Perry Beeches), I've just uploaded a picture on a thread I created for Dorrington Road Infants and Juniors. I couldn't find one for the school, so sorry if I've doubled up somewhere along the line.

Mary
Hello Mary. Would have been at the Juniors in 56 but moved to Beeches bug house in 58. I can remember the big white enamel jugs of cocoa we had in the infants as it always tasted of powder.

Sorry about the quality, I got it from someone on another site. Mr G Newell's class 1A - Must have been Spring? Summer 1963 I should think. Wasn't sure if I'd posted this before, but for those who haven't seen it - can you spot yourselves or your friends?

Mary (3rd from right back row).View attachment 134232
I think I just spotted myself. I didn't start at the beginning of the year. I was nervous about fitting in and my mum permed my hair. It was a disaster. I felt reall self conscious.

Where are you on the photo Wendy? I’ve had a few more views of it but can’t really see anyone’s face too clearly. I thought it was only me who had their hair permed and my sister, who was a couple of years in front of me! I was so happy to get to about 13 years of age, mom stopped insisting on perming it then..

MaryI can't find the photo I was looking for but this is Cliff and Mavis's wedding 1973 at St Johns church Perry Barr you may even know May
Left to right My Mom and Dad, Roy Lambert bestman Cliff May Edwina (Mays sister) me Mays Mom and Dad Ted and Lil Pitt and my cousin Lynn Gregory
Jan
20190611_074033.jpg
This is part of a full school photo from April 1965. Me top left Cliff top right. I will post the rest later.

these photos were taken in Majorca at a Perry Beeches holiday abroad in 19742019-06-13_160628.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-06-13_161841.jpg
    2019-06-13_161841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 2019-06-13_160931.jpg
    2019-06-13_160931.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 2019-06-13_161058.jpg
    2019-06-13_161058.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • 2019-06-13_161221.jpg
    2019-06-13_161221.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2019-06-13_161424.jpg
    2019-06-13_161424.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2019-06-13_161552.jpg
    2019-06-13_161552.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 11
  • 2019-06-13_162004.jpg
    2019-06-13_162004.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 2019-06-13_160401.jpg
    2019-06-13_160401.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 9
these photos were taken in Majorca at a Perry Beeches holiday abroad in 1974View attachment 135016
In the pics there is Molly Crawford, Mrs Ford (John Fords wife) Janet Jones and Deborah Sharpe, Jan Deb and Edwina Pitt, Jeanette with the parrot, Edwina Malcom and Sharon, Me, Fenton and the Hotel Jumbo Park sorry about the photo quality very old Kodak 110 Instamatic

I went to the county study centre at Bellbroughton in about 1970, it was the best holiday I had ever had

I have had a great time looking through these 1965 school photos, still studying them. I am in the forth photo down, top row, 5th along from the right (looking moody:)), Lesley Randall is 3rd along from me to the right and Alan Glover is sitting in the 2nd row, 5th along from the right. I have seen a couple of other faces I remember and most of the teachers I remember. It’s as though I only saw them yesterday and yet it has been about 53 years.

Hi Simmo, I remember the hot cocoa, but I thought that was Junior school. Maybe not then. Don't remember Mr Francis, I can't have been taught by him,but strangely I do remember the saying you mention. Teachers who taught me were: Miss Doogood, Mr Linnell, Mr Everleigh, Miss Crawford,Mr Newell, Mr Cauldicott, Miss Lloyd, Mr Jones, Mr Evans, Mr Varty, and the fantastic Mr P J McShane. Can't remember the D.S. or P.E names. Oh yes, and there was a horrible needlework teacher called Baker I think.

Best wishes
Mary
Have a look at the photos I've posted!!

Hi Harry,
Still looking through the photographs you posted. I am spotting more and more faces of people that I can now remember, it’s amazing. So long ago but so vivid. I can only name a few of the faces that I recognise, the photos are giving me a lot of pleasure.

I went to Perry Beeches I left in 1969. I remember Mr Caldicott, Miss Lloyd (she used to sing in the Welsh Istedford), Mr McShane (love his English lessons), lots of lovely teachers who entertained us well. Mr Edge was to be feared, mostly by the boys, but it as with good intentions mostly. Gone are days of discipline.

I went to Perry Beeches I left in 1969. I remember Mr Caldicott, Miss Lloyd (she used to sing in the Welsh Istedford), Mr McShane (love his English lessons), lots of lovely teachers who entertained us well. Mr Edge was to be feared, mostly by the boys, but it as with good intentions mostly. Gone are days of discipline.
Have to disagree regarding Edge as he was definitely a bully. One example was when the head girl was brought up on stage during assembly and edge declared to all that she had let him and the school down by becoming pregnant, nowadays he would have ended up in court for his unprofessional attitude. He was also more than happy to utilise the mechanical skills of one of my friends in class when he used him to service his car not only during class time but also on school premises.

Back