• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Convention Centre & Broad Street - historic photos

This is View 14 Picture 3. This is dated July 1990.

The ICC development on the right is still ongoing, with the wall and steps on the right taking shape.

A few cranes in the distance so I assume they are working on the NIA.

I have a few assorted pictures on the building of the NIA that I will post soon.

View 14 Picture 3) View towards ICC and NIA
View14Picture3.jpg

This is View 14 Picture 4.

It was taken in November 2010 (20 years after the previous photo) long after most of the work in this area was finished.

The ICC (Convention Centre) can clearly be seen towering above the red wall on the right, and the National Indoor Arena (now Arena Birmingham) can just be seen in the distance on the left.

View 14 Picture 4) View towards ICC and NIA
View14Picture4.jpg

Last edited:
Now View 15, and four pictures in this set. This is View 15 Picture 1

I have no more pictures of the ICC site or Gas Street, or Broad Street, so now we move on to other developments.

This is part of the site for the National Indoor Arena, dated August 1989.

I am standing one side of the canal, looking over to what will become the left hand end of the NIA building (the car park end).

Behind me is the site of Brindley place and Broad Street, and I am facing roughly West (facing out of the city centre).

Here is a small map showing where I am standing, and what direction I am pointing for the photo. Click on it to see it larger.
View15Map1.JPG

View 15 Picture 1) View towards NIA site
View15Picture1.jpg

Posting two photos in this update as, to be honest, they are not the most exciting photos in this set.

First this is View 15 Picture 2, and dated December 1989, so only 4 months after picture 1 above.

Some work has taken place, and a couple of cranes have appeared, but you cant expect much in only 4 months.

View 15 Picture 2) View towards NIA site
View15Picture2.jpg

Now View 15 Picture 3, and dated July 1990.

I am sorry about the quality of this picture, it seems to have had something spilt on it. I have tried to clean it but only made it worse.

Building of NIA well on its way now.

View 15 Picture 3) View towards NIA site
View15Picture3.jpg

These photos are just amazing, I love the dedication of members on this site it's a credit to you all

This is View 15 Picture 4.

It was taken in November 2010 (20 years after the previous photo) long after most of the work in this area was finished.

Part of the National Indoor Arena (now Arena Birmingham) can be seen.

View 15 Picture 3) View towards NIA site
View attachment 134278

In view 15 picture 4 from 2010 it shows two trees that seem to have been planted after 1990.

Now View 16, and three pictures in this set.

I am posting all three views at the same time as, to be honest, it is not the most exciting viewpoint.

I am standing one side of the canal, looking over to what will become the centre of the NIA building.

Here is a small map showing where I am standing, and what direction I am pointing for the photo. Click on it to see it larger.
View 16 MAP 1.JPG

Behind me is the site of Brindley place and Broad Street, and I am facing roughly North.

The first photo shows part of the site for the National Indoor Arena, dated August 1989.

View 16 Picture 1) View towards NIA site - August 1989
View16Picture1.jpg

Now we move on to July 1990

View 16 Picture 2) View towards NIA site - July 1990
View16Picture2.jpg

Now we jump 20 years, to a photo from December 2010 when the NIA had been long finished.

View 16 Picture 3) View towards NIA site - December 2010
View 16 Picture 3.JPG

The two views I posted above are View 15 and 16 which were of the site of the NIA.

As the two photos are from the same spot I have merged them together in to one wide photo.

Both these pictures were taken on August 1989.

Here is a small map showing where I am standing, and what direction I am pointing for the photo below. Click on it to see it larger.
View 16 MAP 1.JPG

The merging is not that good as they were not meant to be a panorama, but I thought the two pictures combined would look more interesting that the individual pictures.

View 15 Picture 1 and View 16 Picture 1 (MERGED) View towards NIA site
View15and16_Pic1.jpg

This is View 15 Picture 3 and View 16 Picture 2 merged (individual pictures already posted above).

It shows the NIA site.

Both pictures were taken on July 1990 from the same spot. The merging is not that great to be honest as they were not meant to be a panorama, but I thought the two pictures combined would look more interesting that the individual pictures.

View 15 Picture 3 and View 16 Picture 2 (MERGED) View towards NIA site
View15and16Pic2.jpg

This is how the NIA site looked in December 2010

It is basically View 15 and View 16 merged.

It is actually a merging of three photos showing the whole of the NIA building.

View 15 and View 16 (MERGED) View towards NIA site - photo from 2010
View 15and16_Pic 3.jpg

In fact it looks very different today, with a new indoor area added to the front of the building.

This area contains bars and restaurants.

Here is the view from Google Maps - view 2019
View 15 and 16 Pic 4.JPG

More pictures of the NIA being built

Now View 17, and three pictures in this set. This is View 17 Picture 1

This shows the site for the National Indoor Arena, picture dated August 1989.

I am standing in Sheepcote Street, where the canal goes under the road, looking towards what will become the Western end of the NIA building (the car park end). I am facing roughly East.

View 17 Map 1.JPG

I you look closely at that image above, at the bottom of the image, you can see The Roundhouse, a historic circular canal side building. This is currently being restored by the Canal and River Trust and the National Trust.

Roundhouse web site here

Also if you look at View 15 Picture 1 you can see the orange crane and the portacabins in that picture (this picture below was taken at the same time as View 15 Picture 1 and View 16 Picture 1).

View 17 Picture 1) View towards NIA site
View17Picture1.jpg

Now for View 17, photos 2 and 3, the last two photos of View 17.

First view 17 Picture 2, and dated July 1990 and the NIA well on its way now.

View 17 Picture 2) View towards NIA site - July 1990
View17Picture2.jpg

And below a photo taken in November 2010 after the NIA had been long finished.

View 17 Picture 3) View towards NIA site - November 2010
View17Picture3.jpg

More pictures of the NIA being built

This is View 18 and I am posting all three photos in this set as again they are not that exciting.

First is View 18 Picture 1

This shows the site for the National Indoor Arena, picture dated August 1989.

I am standing in St Vincent St, where the railway line goes under the NIA building, looking towards what will
become the "back" of the NIA building. I am facing roughly North East.

View18Map1.JPG

View 18 Picture 1) View towards NIA site - August 1989
View18Picture1.jpg

Now a view from December 1989, the bridge has been built over the railway line.

View 18 Picture 2) View towards NIA site - December 1989
View18Picture2.jpg

Finally a view from November 2010 wen the NIA had been long finished.

Sadly not a particularly attractive view of the NIA.

View 18 Picture 3) View towards NIA site - November 2010
View18Picture3.JPG

Last edited:
More historic pictures of the NIA being built.

Now View 19, and only two pictures in this set.

First is View 19 Picture 1

This shows the building of the National Indoor Arena, picture dated July 1990.

I am standing on the canal, the Convention Centre would be behind me on the right, and Brindley place and the Sea
Life Centre on the left. The Malt House pub would be on the right, where all those portacabins are.

View19Map1.JPG

View 19 Picture 1) View towards NIA site- July 1990
View19Picture1.jpg

Below, here is the same view in December 2010, long after all the work in the area was finished.

You can just see a little bit of the Sea Life Centre on the left, and The Malt House pub on the right.

View 19 Picture 2) View towards NIA site - December 2010
View19Picture2.jpg

Last edited:
More historic pictures of the Broad Street area being redeveloped in the late 1980s and 1990s

This is view 20 and three pictures in the set. This is View 20 picture 1.

This picture was taken in July 1988.

It was taken in Sheepcote Street (the very Western end of the whole site) looking East.

View 20Map1.JPG

The area on the left of the canal will become the NIA, the area on the right of the canal will become flats.

In the distance you can see the site of the Convention Centre and Symphony Hall (already under development) and the Hyatt Hotel.

The two large buildings on the right are on Broad Street.

View 20 Picture 1) View from Sheepcote Street towards ICC and NIA
View20Picture1.jpg

This is View 20 picture 2. This picture was taken in August 1989.

Work has already started on the NIA site on the left, and the Convention Centre is beginning to take shape.

In the distance you can see the Hyatt hotel is well under way with half its external cladding on.

View 20 Picture 2) View from Sheepcote Street towards ICC and NIA
View20Picture2.jpg

guilbert53

I said it before and I'll say it again - brilliant, and you now must be eligible to enter the academy of historians as these pictures record the rebuilding history of a major development in an important part of the City. This has got to be what BHF is all about especially for those of us who left the city and were not really aware of the changes taking place. Thank you for sharing.

Bob

This is View 20 picture 3.

It is the view as it was in January 2010.

On the left of the flats you can see the Sea Life Centre, and also sticking out above the flats is part of the building on Brindley Place.

You can also see the Millenium Wheel which is just outside the "front" of the Convention Centre.

Somewhat of an improvement on the site over the first picture !

View 20 Picture 3) View from Sheepcote Street towards ICC and NIA
View20Picture3.jpg

This is view 21 and only two pictures in this set. This is View 21 picture 1.

It was taken at the Northern end of Sheepcote Street, looking at the Western side of the road, the picture facing South towards Broad Street.

View 21 Map 1.JPG

I am standing in almost exactly the same place as in View 20 above, on top of the canal (it goes under the road) and the area on the left (out of picture) will become the NIA, ICC, Brindley place etc

The tall building in the distance is on Broad Street.

View 21 Picture 1) View up Sheepcote Street towards Broad Street
View21Pic1.jpg

This is View 21 picture 2, and this picture was taken in January 2010.

Not a huge amount of change.

You can just see the modern flats on the left (these can be seen clearly in View 20 Picture 3)

You can also see a new modern addition half way down on the right (all white and glass).

View 21 Picture 2) View up Sheepcote Street towards Broad Street
View21Pic2.jpg

You can get an idea of the new developments in the area by the view taken from Google Maps.

The red arrow shows where I was standing and the direction I was facing when I took this photo.
View 21 Map 1.JPG

This is view 22 and only two pictures in this set. This is View 22 picture 1. This picture was taken in July 1988.

It was taken at the Northern end of Sheepcote Street, looking at the Eastern side of the road, the picture facing South towards Broad Street.

View22 Map 1.JPG

I am standing on the other side of the road from View 21 above, and the area in front of me will become flats, plus the area behind the flats will become Brindley Place, the ICC etc

The tall buildings in the distance are on Broad Street.

View 22 Picture 1) View up Sheepcote Street towards Broad Street
View22Picture1.jpg

This is View 22 picture 2, and this picture was taken in January 2010.

Quite a lot of change.

You can see the modern flats on the left (the canal runs alongside them, see View 20 Picture 3), and the square terracotta Hilton Garden Inn hotel building (as it is called now) in the distance.

View 22 Picture 2) View up Sheepcote Street towards Broad Street
View22Picture2.jpg

This is view 23 and only two pictures in this set. This is View 23 picture 1.

This continues my walk up Sheepcote Street (see views 17, 20, 21, 22 for more views from Sheepcote Street).

This picture was taken roughly half way up Sheepcote Street (fairly near the new Crescent theatre), looking North East along the canal.

View 23 Map 1.JPG

The area on the left will become flats, the area on the right will become Brindley Place.

View 23 Picture 1) View from half way up Sheepcote Street facing North East
View23Picture1.jpg

This is View 23 picture 2, this picture was taken in April 2010.

A huge amount of change.

You can see the modern flats on the left, and the back of the Brindley Place complex is on the right. The large brick wall on the right of the picture is the back of the Crescent theatre.

At the end of the canal you can just see the small tower (with the sloping roof) of the Malt House pub.

View 23 Picture 2) View from half way up Sheepcote Street facing North East
View23Picture2.jpg

This is view 24 and only two pictures in this set. This is View 24 picture 1 and was taken in July 1988.

Another view from Sheepcote Street. This picture was taken in the same place as View 23 above, but looking slightly more to the right. It is now looking East, towards what will become Brindley Place.

View 24 Map 1.JPG

Work on the ICC (Convention Centre) in the distance is well under way.

If you look clearly in the far distance (on the right) you can see the NatWest symbol on the tower of the building in central Birmingham. This building has since been demolished.

View 24 Picture 1) View from Sheepcote Street towards Brindley Place
View24Picture1.jpg

View 24 Picture 1. Same view as above, but now August 1989, just over a year later.

The Convention Centre and Symphony Hall now taking shape, and is that the Hyatt Hotel on the very right?

I do have a photograph from 2010 of this view (or as best as I can get), but will post it AFTER posting View 25 (as Brindley Place is covered in buildings it is impossible to get exactly the same photograph, see View 23 Picture 2 for an example of why not)

View 24 Picture 2) View from Sheepcote Street towards Brindley Place
View24Picture2.jpg

Last edited:
Back