• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Canterbury Road Canterbury Cross Schools

There must be something missing in my life. I find myself re reading this Thread at least once a year!!

I went to Canterbury Road from 1943. I lived in Jardine Road Aston, having been bombed out in New Street Aston. The only teacher Ivan remember was Mr Chapman (headmaster?).

Hi Di! I couldn't agree more! What a successful little school it was. Many happy memories of the school and classmates -set in the homely parishes of Holy Trinity and All Souls. Ah memories!

Thanks for reminding us about this thread, Di, and especially your excellent post#1 which started it off.

The information about Thomas Chapman (kindly Headmaster, Great War hero and WW2 Home Guard commander) is still available online.

Chris

Canterbury Road children photographed in the early 1900s. Nice to see all the potted plants in the photo too! A special effort seems to have been made with the children in their 'best' clothes. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.3 KB · Views: 34
Vivienne14, Great picture! How nice to see interest in the school is still being generated. Lets hope it attracts more replies. Regards. willey

One of the biggest culture-shocks of my life was when I passed the Eleven-Plus, in 1957, and started at George Dixon Grammar School, City Road, Edgbaston. For six years previously Canterbury Cross had been my 'home from home'. The teachers were mostly kind, helpful and friendly - but I have to say I never suffered from Miss Pinches! At George Dixon, the teachers were, or seemed to be, older, nearly all ex-military, and unapproachable. They wore academic gowns and seemed to glide through the corridors like Count Dracula.....

Big Gee

Hi, I was searching the internet with regards to Canterbury Cross School and came across this thread. I currently work at Canterbury Cross Primary School on Canterbury Road, We have found lots of hand written diaries kept by the original head teacher in 1906, they are beautifully hand written and describes the war, small pox and lots of names of children and staff. If you wish to have a look at any feel free to contact the school and arrange a visit.

One thing I remember about Mr Chapman is when I boy slipped in the playground and cut his knee badly. He was patched up by the school secretary, a lady whose name I can't remember, and then as he lived not far away Mr Chapman walked him home. These days there would probably have to be an inquiry.

Earlier threads asked if any teachers had cars. One did, as I remember. He was Mr Marshall, and I think IIRC he was a student teacher and at Canterbury Road for only a year. He took our class at All Souls Annexe and would arrive in his old black Wolseley...amazingly I can still remember its registration number as CCW 664, as we used to chant it when we saw it coming down Wenlock Road. Kids in those days didn't need much to entertain themselves.

G

The diaries sound interesting but I'm scared of the ghost of Miss Pinches who haunts every child's dreams .

Nice photos. IIRC, the Canterbury Road entrance in the first photo was for senior girls only. Juniors used the gate on Thornbury Road. I may be incorrect here - long, long time ago.

I just remembered the name of the school secretary - Mrs Moore.

G

Hi Di. Thank you for posting the photos of the school. I too attended the Centenary Celebration and what memories came flooding back. Air raid drill in the cloakroom cum air raid shelter, the terror of Miss Pinches and Miss Gerund (if you are old enough to remember her!) There were other teachers however of whom only happy memories are retained. Miss Holman (with her nature table), Mrs Wheatley, Mr Limbrick, Miss Aubrey, Mrs Whatley et al. An excellent school through which passed many children who went on to lead successful lives. Not bad for a little parish like All Souls. Cheers to all former pupils. Regards. willey
I was at the school in the 70s the Head Teacher was Mr Sainsbury and I have only fond memories of the school. I was looking to see if there was anything on here in relation to Mr Masters and Mr Hunt.

Glad that the memories of the school are good ones. I was there in the infants and juniors too from '43, the brick shelter we used is now the teachers staff room with the addition of windows. Miss Pinches made the hardiest of us scared but I do remember the lads flicking ink bombs made of blotting paper on to the ceiling without her eagle eye catching them at it. Her aim with a bunch of keys or the blackboard rubber was acheived with plenty of practice. My headmistress in the senior school was Miss Baggs, she was wonderful, we girls all greatly respected her.

The school still have the school registers and at the Centenary celebrations I saw my entry to the infants in February '43.
Wow such good memories and wish I had attended the centenary celebrations and met you! I attended in the 70s.

Hi, I was searching the internet with regards to Canterbury Cross School and came across this thread. I currently work at Canterbury Cross Primary School on Canterbury Road, We have found lots of hand written diaries kept by the original head teacher in 1906, they are beautifully hand written and describes the war, small pox and lots of names of children and staff. If you wish to have a look at any feel free to contact the school and arrange a visit.
I would love to visit the school again after all this time

Wow..Went to Canterbury cross from about 1962-67/68
I deffo remember Mr Mullins..I remember him being chased around the School by a mother who’s son got the cane off him for not eating his salad, it was hilarious.
I also remember going to the Annex on Westminster road, (I seem to remember the headmaster at the time was Mr Broadist?) and there was another annex one on Bayswater road.
Was in the athletics team we won medals and a shield for the school in 65

Oh yeh..
I also remember a Mrs Lang at the school too
(she had a bubbly cough!)

Only just found this thread by accident. Glad I did. I also remember Mr Ernest Mullins as headmaster, Mr Sainsbury, Mr Broadist. Sometimes we would be sent to read to Mr Mullins in his office. He had a big bag of apples and you got one as a reward and/or a toffee.
I was in one of the playground huts when I started there around 62/63. There was a toilet block at the back of the playground near the huts. When I started there was a large roof structure covering part of the playground in front of the toilets and facing the huts. I remember sheltering from rain with dinner ladies. It disappeared a few months later.
We lived on Wenlock road and I remember walking up the Broadway to the main school which was on Thornbury road. There was a police station and a cinema nearby. It was 2 shillings in to see the Thunderbirds film there in about 1966 or so!

I was taught by Mrs Burley, Mrs Reddy, Miss Bartlett, Miss Maltby, Mr Sadler, Mr Nash. I also remember Ms Cross, Mr Jones who was Welsh and jolly, telling jokes. Also Mr Pavoni.
A big memory is the new red lights being fitted in the hall. We had lessons at Bayswater annexe and Westminster annexe. After the 11plus exams we were moved to the brand new Birchfield school for the summer term. Miss Tozer was headmistress there. I also remember seeing Mr Sainsbury there. It was summer 1969 and I left to go to King Edward Girls school at Rosehill road.

I'm wondering if Mr Mullins previously taught at Kingsthorne Junior. If so he must have gone to Canterbury Road School on promotion. And he was very inclined to use the ruler for the most minor incident! Viv.

Only just found this thread by accident. Glad I did. I also remember Mr Ernest Mullins as headmaster, Mr Sainsbury, Mr Broadist. Sometimes we would be sent to read to Mr Mullins in his office. He had a big bag of apples and you got one as a reward and/or a toffee.
I was in one of the playground huts when I started there around 62/63. There was a toilet block at the back of the playground near the huts. When I started there was a large roof structure covering part of the playground in front of the toilets and facing the huts. I remember sheltering from rain with dinner ladies. It disappeared a few months later.
We lived on Wenlock road and I remember walking up the Broadway to the main school which was on Thornbury road. There was a police station and a cinema nearby. It was 2 shillings in to see the Thunderbirds film there in about 1966 or so!

I was taught by Mrs Burley, Mrs Reddy, Miss Bartlett, Miss Maltby, Mr Sadler, Mr Nash. I also remember Ms Cross, Mr Jones who was Welsh and jolly, telling jokes. Also Mr Pavoni.
A big memory is the new red lights being fitted in the hall. We had lessons at Bayswater annexe and Westminster annexe. After the 11plus exams we were moved to the brand new Birchfield school for the summer term. Miss Tozer was headmistress there. I also remember seeing Mr Sainsbury there. It was summer 1969 and I left to go to King Edward Girls school at Rosehill road.
These are the only two photos of the school in question that I have, I'm afraid neither are before 1948.

View attachment 132781View attachment 132782
lovely photos i remember in one of them arches was Mr Sainsburys office not that I was familiar with lol
I remember a dinner lady called Betty Stamps know to us as Auntie Betty another one was Mrs Casswell my mom used to give our tucker money to Auntie Betty and she walked us too school as she lived in Kenilworth road all six of us + it was like a military exercise loved that lady

Back