• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

DISGUSTING FOOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfair to class these fishy products as disgusting - that depends on personal taste I guess.
Scampi is on of the greatest items which is generally a cheat, unless very expensive, being an amalgam of varying type of fish, with a small piece of langoustine. They were originally known as Dublin Bay prawns which are larger than the usual ones once found in fish markets. Cat fish an dog fish, at one time thrown back overboard, was of landed usually fed to cats and animals. It is often used as a cod or haddock substitute nowadays. Like wise Monk, mostly head, little eatable flesh and thrown away or fed to animals. It became a 'Yuppie' fish and is now expensive. Why are many people less discerning and fall for all manner of sales baloney?

Dogfish was quite popular in the chip shops of the fifties and sixties where it was marketed under the name "Rock Salmon". A meaty fish, I quite enjoyed it but I don't know if you can still get it as I haven't been in a chip shop in years.

jamdone,

Yes, you can still get it - also known as huss - in UK fish & chip shops, though always cooked to order & quite often not in stock. It's my other half's favourite. I don't think it is as popular as it was a few years ago. And skate, her other favourite, has lost some of its popularity too.

Maurice

we throw em back. they have skin like leather very rough. i hooked a gernard, and it made me jump strange sounds it made

Attachments

• 1549566300510.png
    1549566300510.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I remember Huss and Rock Salmon when I lived in SE London, in the late 70s. I'd never heard of it but accepted it because it was what the natives ate. It was OK.
Do chippies in Brum still serve Roe ?

Oooooh love roe, fresh or tinned , cant get it here in Oz but have brought a couple of tins home when we have been back to Brum , Wendy
Surprised that you got them through customs having watched Nothing to Declare.
G'day sport (just to prove I can speak Aussie).
Bob

Surprised that you got them through customs having watched Nothing to Declare.
G'day sport (just to prove I can speak Aussie).
Bob

G'day Bob, Yes things like that which are properly processed and tinned are ok I did declare them and also some malt loaves i brought back haha

jamdone,

Yes, you can still get it - also known as huss - in UK fish & chip shops, though always cooked to order & quite often not in stock. It's my other half's favourite. I don't think it is as popular as it was a few years ago. And skate, her other favourite, has lost some of its popularity too.

Maurice

I remember Huss and Rock Salmon when I lived in SE London, in the late 70s. I'd never heard of it but accepted it because it was what the natives ate. It was OK.
Do chippies in Brum still serve Roe ?

Hi Maypolebaz,

Yes mate they still do, you can have either tinned or fresh whatever you prefer.

Lozellian.

Well, some Greeks still love their taramasolata as does my other half, and she's bought roe here, Pete. Must exist in the UK, unless they put it into cat food - the best place in my opinion! :)

Maurice :cool:

Well, some Greeks still love their taramasolata as does my other half, and she's bought roe here, Pete. Must exist in the UK, unless they put it into cat food - the best place in my opinion! :)

I love fish roe but the taramasolata i had in Greece was vile, yuk.

Looooooove fish roe in any form. We used to get both soft and hard roe from a shop at the junction of Kingstanding and Dyas Road in the 50s and 60s. Soft roes on toast - delicious. If I served that up to my family now they’d all heave! My daughter loves the hard roe though, so we two sometimes have that together. Viv.

Like taramosalata too. Can easily eat a whole tub to myself. This was never (to my knowledge) available when I was young, first came across it in a Greek restaurant in London. Viv.

Looooooove fish roe in any form. We used to get both soft and hard roe from a shop at the junction if Kingstanding and Dyas Road in the 50s and 60s. Soft roes in toast - delicious. If I served that up to my family now they’d all heave! My daughter loves the hard roe though, so we two sometimes have that together. Viv.
loverly..not too keen on tinned viv. but fresh.yum yum

You can get cod roe in the south west from fish mongers, but fresh, not boiled. Cod roes are best fried - according to 'er indoors. I do not like it and I never ate the caviar I was once given. Sea fish usually taste better than river/canal fish which can have a 'muddy' taste. The old favourites of sea fish are, in my view, best. You can keep all the yuppie monk, dog fish (rock salmon) etc. Eating habits change due to fads, scarcity and preferences pushed upon us by retailers/restaurants.
My late father in law used to bring home some fantastic fish from his trawler. A whole halibut, for instance covered the plate - no room or need for any chips. :laughing:
Supermarkets seem to decide what we like or do not like. Look at the wines they heavily promote for instance. I would not classify them as disgusting but not really that palatable.

Last edited:
Ah, Alan, that lovely halibut, but very expensive. My late mother-in-law used to do the the books for a branch of Mac Fisheries and it then came free as one of the perks of the job. Sadly that was many years ago and it is not a fish you find here in the southern Med. But it is a beautiful fish. (Is there an emoji for licking your chops?) :)

Speaking of disgusting food, look no further than that eaten in the field by the army of the 1960s. Those of a certain age will remember Composite Rations, or Compo, as it was called by its victims. Compo had a number of horrors, probably the worst was Mutton Scotch Style, or "Mutton Jock" as it was called in the day.
Rumour was rife in those days of a bloke who had dug into a tin of the aforesaid delicacy and came up with a complete sheeps eye, hanging by its blood vessels, on the end of his fork. Imagine, at night, on a blacked - out gun position, eating out of a cold tin of Mutton Jock and chewing on something that suddenly went "pop" in your mouth. Disgusting.

Ah, Alan, that lovely halibut, but very expensive. My late mother-in-law used to do the the books for a branch of Mac Fisheries and it then came free as one of the perks of the job. Sadly that was many years ago and it is not a fish you find here in the southern Med. But it is a beautiful fish. (Is there an emoji for licking your chops?) :)

there certainly is maurice... :yum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back