• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Remember Cashmores

Heartland

master brummie
Cashmores yard near Great Bridge on the South Staffordshire Railway had a siding link and at the end of steam locomotives went there for scrap on a regular basis. Such was the volume that locomotives would be stored in the sidings at Wednesbury (GW) before making that last trip to the yard and the cutting torch. Here is a winter view;155.jpg

how sad,once a big fiery machine now looks a load of old iron. lets hope that is one that was saved,and the only torch used on it. is the one that lights the boiler again

I am not aware of any locomotives surviving Cashmores also.

Most locomotives that went for scrap were disposed of often quickly. Barry scrapyard was different as the owners chose to wait for improving metal prices and then the preservationist had a chance for a rescue.

Cashmores had the Black Country yard for a number of years where they dealt in all forms of ironwork.

Before them Freakley had the siding for working slag from old slag mounds and tips.

Eight of the former Stanier Coronation Pacifics ended their careers at Cashmores,
being cut-up between Nov 1964 and Mar 1965.

For those interested they were; 46239/40/41/45/48/51/54/56, quite a high number from a class of 38.

Dai Woodham made more money by selling the locomotives to preservationists than he would have from scrapping.

In the event i believe almost everything in his yard was sold on, very few were actually cut up.

Another group of locomotives seen in transit to the scrapyards were three standard 4-6-0's, including 75002 at the sidings beside Nechells Gasworks, although the destination was probably other than Cashmores. The waggons in this view were being delivered to Nechells West Gasworks.

11.jpg

how sad to see, all that service it gave only to end up there.:sob::sob: i am lucky i had family working on gwr.i rode on the foot plates.of the great kings. when i was a child.

Eight of the former Stanier Coronation Pacifics ended their careers at Cashmores,
being cut-up between Nov 1964 and Mar 1965.

For those interested they were; 46239/40/41/45/48/51/54/56, quite a high number from a class of 38.
Hi as a fireman in the sixties, I took many engine's to Cashmores Great bridge I remember taking a line of engine's around December 1964 two engine's were 46241& 46245 coupled next to silver jubilee 45552 .

Back