• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Advertising in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes we all smoked like chimneys then, not only were they cheap but we were not aware they were bad health wise. Eric

And how regular it was to buy cigarettes as Christmas presents Eric. You could buy them in bulk like the ones you used to get duty free but you could get them in shops around Christmas time with Christmas wrapping.

And then there was all the paraphernalia that went with it. I once got a gift of a marble cigarette case with matching table lighter. I liked it if I got a smart little lighter, they were always so tactile - and the ladies ones were so elegant. Viv.

When I was a school boy smoker I could scrape up enough to buy 5 Park Drive Tipped and a 1D book of matches 5 Park Drive Tipped.jpg

Was in the queue for a paper yesterday, I was amazed to see the chap in front of me paid out £120 odd quid for about 10 packets of cigarettes,? the last fags I bought were about 2 bob a packet, but at the NAAFI in Germany they were about 7/6d, for 200. I have to say at today's prices, I am amazed anyone smokes. Paul

I remember Woodbines and Parkdrive were the cheap brands and Players and Senior Service a few Pence more, I also remember in the 50's being overseas in the RAF and at Christmas we were given 300 cigs each from what the Customs had seized, if that did not encourage you to smoke I don't know what did. Eric

Must be a few on this Forum that remember Twist or Shag chewing vaccine?

The old spittoon?

[Edit....not a clue how "vaccine" came up, it should read baccie. Maybe its the Old Peculier!)

79DFE30E-A7EC-4E2F-BFA8-B20E962501C7.jpeg

Last edited:
hi.my grandad was a miner. smoker and chewd twist. "spit ding" i tryed a bit to chew yuk yaaaaaa it made me sick.
its a year now since i stopped smoking

Attachments

• spit.png
    spit.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1
  • spiting.jpg
    spiting.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 2
Our science teacher at school used to smoke a pipe, sent me to get his tobacco 'Erinmore' from the local shop.

On another note I think the tobacco industry is getting around the advertising ban by paying tv scriptwriters/producers to write in smoking scenes into their stories, especially for female detectives...…….anyone else noticed this? A couple of the series I've watched recently the lead part seeming like chain smokers.

Eric, my science master also smoked a pipe, Condor was his preference. So that a few years later, when in the RAF, I started smoking a pipe it was Condor that I chose. I did try other tobaccos but stuck to Condor. Cigarettes were more of a convenience, especially when out and about. Pipes were for relaxing plus it was not easy in the varying tasks that I had to do to smoke a pipe. Like any good pipe smokers you had a few pipes, ranging fro the 'Sherlock Holmes' style to Churchwardens. Becoming a retained firefighter cramped my pipe smoking style and cigarettes were more the norm. Breathing sets are the norm today but were slowly becoming more available in my early service days. Cigarette smoke was nothing compared to the 'smoke eating' of past time firemen. :eek: I believe smoking did help in stressful jobs - and I have had one or two. I don't disapprove of the crusade against smokers but what I find hard to follow is the timid approach against road vehicle fumes. I rarely go into towns but when I do I find the air quite unpleasant in them.
1545301438415.png

Eric, my science master also smoked a pipe, Condor was his preference. So that a few years later, when in the RAF, I started smoking a pipe it was Condor that I chose. I did try other tobaccos but stuck to Condor. Cigarettes were more of a convenience, especially when out and about. Pipes were for relaxing plus it was not easy in the varying tasks that I had to do to smoke a pipe. Like any good pipe smokers you had a few pipes, ranging fro the 'Sherlock Holmes' style to Churchwardens. Becoming a retained firefighter cramped my pipe smoking style and cigarettes were more the norm. Breathing sets are the norm today but were slowly becoming more available in my early service days. Cigarette smoke was nothing compared to the 'smoke eating' of past time firemen. :eek: I believe smoking did help in stressful jobs - and I have had one or two. I don't disapprove of the crusade against smokers but what I find hard to follow is the timid approach against road vehicle fumes. I rarely go into towns but when I do I find the air quite unpleasant in them.
View attachment 129803
I remember the tv advert for Condor , he took a pull on his pipe looked into the distance and simply said Condor

yer that mr rose1547712220159.pngdropping ash in some ones inside . the only pipe i had blew bubbles lol

Attachments

• pipe bubble.jpg
    pipe bubble.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 8
The wartime Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Labour and National Service produced this advert to be placed on buses during WW2. I'm not sure whether it was ever put on any Birmingham buses but there is a pic in post#276 of a similar advert on a wall looking a bit tattered after a bombing raid.
Wartime Ads.jpg

The wartime Ministry of Transport and Ministry of Labour and National Service produced this advert to be placed on buses during WW2. I'm not sure whether it was ever put on any Birmingham buses but there is a pic in post#276 of a similar advert on a wall looking a bit tattered after a bombing raid.
View attachment 130787

OM I thought that a lot of the housewives during the war were war workers, while all the blokes were away fighting

OM I thought that a lot of the housewives during the war were war workers, while all the blokes were away fighting

What a strange poster to have up when you think about it, as you say, lots of the women did do war work doing mens jobs, they had to keep the country going while the men were away fighting.

Lots of women had young children to look after and there were many types of jobs that needed doing, not everything was work work; shops, buses being just two examples.
Some young women came from Ireland to do war work and were usually lodgers with women who had spare rooms.
Equally not all men were in the armed forces. Some were too old or failed medicals, others had reserved occupations, their work skills were important to most factories. Miners and certain farm workers were also in that category.
The above are only examples, there probably exists a comprehensive list.

Lots of women had young children to look after and there were many types of jobs that needed doing, not everything was work work; shops, buses being just two examples.
Some young women came from Ireland to do war work and were usually lodgers with women who had spare rooms.
Equally not all men were in the armed forces. Some were too old or failed medicals, others had reserved occupations, their work skills were important to most factories. Miners and certain farm workers were also in that category.
The above are only examples, there probably exists a comprehensive list.

So if it was that petty why were newsreels such a big thing about women in the factory I bet half the women that had children had minders for their kids while they were making spitfires and such like , Plus Gracie Fields record "Who Was the Girl that Made the Thing that turned the Thingamajig" . By the way you mention the fact about Irish young women , do you really think that in those days they were welcomed with open arms ? . I remember as though it was yesterday and Irishman blaspheming when the Commission for Racial Equality was brought in in 1976 , he grunted and said it was a pity that bill wasn't out when Dawes Cycles across the road had a notice advertising jobs 1940's , on the bottom NO Irish Need Apply . Then of course there was the accommodation No Irish, No Blacks were we really that accommodating RR, I'll stick by my original post .

Not sure why you think things petty. It was as it was.
You are talking about 1976 and other times of unrest found in our industrial areas.
I know that young Irish women and men were welcomed here during WW2, school friends parents had them as lodgers. We had a war to fight, times were hard for most people and prejudices were less obvious, unlike today when people have a lot of free time to ruminate. Many married and stayed. Gracie Fields and Workers Playtime were morale boosters and National Savings and other posters were an encouragement not to waste precious resources and money. There was a labour shortage and that continued well after the war hence the immigration that occurred. Immigration only occurred after WW2 in industrial areas. No need in rural places.
Anyone who has been in the UK's armed forces will agree that a great many servicemen in the past were from Southern as well as Northern Ireland.

I watched a programme on television last night about Cadbury's chocolate, I think it has been on before but a first for me. There was a section on advertising especially T.V. advertising. I was pleasantly surprised at the memorable ones that have since become classics e.g. "All because the lady loves Milk Tray", the iconic Flake adverts (for many different reasons!), "Everyone's a Fruit and Nut case", "Nuts, whole hazlenuts, Cadbury take them........." and for me the best one ever, The drumming gorilla (Phil Collins' Something in the Air Tonight.
Which one was your best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back