• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Dave,

Many thanks for the info. It would seem that the picture in post #5284 was taken around 1923 and not in the opening week from 25 April 1914. The operating company was formed in 1913 (see below). James Gibbons Parrott originally started acting under the name of Paul Parrott, in which he appeared in 75 silent comedies between 1921 & 1923. He then changed his name to Jimmie Parrott and also appeared with Laurel & Hardy. He later switched to producing under the name of James Parrott, but died in 1939 at the age of 41. Also Hal Roach didn't start making films until 1915.

Likewise the Springfield started to be known as the Springfield Cinema in 1939 and closed at the end of May 1940, reopening again as a cinema for a short period in the 1950s. In recent years it's been used by a furniture supplier.

Maurice

View attachment 130266
James Parrott is credited as director on Laurel + Hardy film Murder case

Anyone walking along Anderton Road could not fail to see that massive tall chimney beyond the Marlborough Pub. It just about shows on the edge of an aerial pic dated 1920 and looks taller than any of the other factory chimney in the district. On a 1914 map it is on a building between Montgomery Street and the canal next to a 'Corporation Wharf' and has a canal basin on the site.
View attachment 128075
I remember a tall chimney near to my school, Montgomery Street primary. It was black with grime in my day (1961-67) and if my memory serves me right had a metal top. It always looked like it was falling over from the playground against the background of clouds loving by. Just to the right of the Marlborough Pub can be seen the original Waverley Grammer School, looking a bit like Big Ben.

Does anybody know anything about F.M Hands corner shop on Chatham Road Northfield when did it close down and what happened F M hands it is now the Clock Cafe, rather have F M hands grocery shop any day

Thank You

I was 17 in 1953 and living at 128 Bankes Road. I dont recognise anybody. Attached (I hope) is 128 in about 1910. The girl is my aunt Beatrice Goldsby.128B 003 - Copy.jpg

Another trip along a street I remember quite well, when I got married in 1957 we lived in rooms in Lloyd Street just off Golden Hillock Road, and I worked at the BSA Armoury Road, went to all the cinemas along the Coventry Road, including the Apollo which our trip hasn't reached yet. I also used to shop along there and remember the Co-op, Hawkins drapers, Devoti's ice cream parlour and a lovely old fashioned grocery shop near the corner of Charles Road but can't remember the name at the moment. Thank you so much Phil.
The grocers shop you refer to was the Home & Colonial.

great photo carol new one to me.. pics of that part of icknield st are few and far between ...as you will know thats icknield st school on the left.

thanks carol

lyn.

The photo in post 5316 is interesting. It apparently shows Icknield Street School and in particular before demolitions and road widening. It would be useful to have a photo of the Icknield Street side, before road widening.

Back