• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Janice,

I only remember it as the Cross Guns during the time I lived in Albert Road, Kings Heath from 1950-1961. Why must they keep changing the names of pubs I wonder, especially to silly names like The Slug & Lettuce ?

Maurice

I refuse to go into any pub called the Slug and Lettuce on principle. I don't want extra protein in my salad thank you. There have been other pubs whose names I object to. Personally, I think 'landmark' pubs should never change their names. On the X10 bus the recorded announcement has to say 'Holly Bush Shops' as the pub is no longer the Holly Bush and I don't even know what its name is now.

Can't make out any of the words on this one. It's on Icknield Square and currently occupied by Biddle & Webb, Auctioneers. Viv.

View attachment 81877

I ought to know this as I lived In Springfield St , then we moved and we still managed to roam around here
Hi Nikki. Harry Smith sign's a very good example. Do you know if the shop has now closed down? Viv.

Viv just noticed this yes it is still open , the shop trades as Washing Machine Distribution Co (WMD) strangely enough I was only chatting to them the other week . Sadly they have stopped doing the domestic appliances , seems to be only bottled gas now . They dropped the appliances due to the fact people would go in there find out all the info on the machine they were looking at ,then go home and order it online, whats more I learned that as of about 3 weeks ago the owners have to pay a £10.00 per day congestion charge to get into work , what a smack in the mouth to earn a crust

I was in Kings Heath and looking up at The Goose (formerly the Goose and Granite and before that the Cross Guns) on the High Street as someone had told me it is going to be refurbished and have another name change to The Courts. (or Court). I suddenly realised that the upper windows were etched - Billiard Room. (marked in red on Street View).
I did ask why "The Court" and was told because the upper room used to be Kings Heath Court Room - apparently the floor is now rotten and all that might be left is the Judge's Chair but I have no evidence to support this at the moment.

Was searching for a more appropriate thread, but this one came up.

Photos of The Old Court pub on the Kings Heath High Street from the no 50 bus.

No Billiards signs in these windows. Quickly took it from the bus, rotated / edited later.

I think it has been mentioned before on site but there is a site called "28DaysLater" which is the site of an urban (& elsewhere!) exploration group. It contains some brilliant explores of old/disused Birmingham buildings. You need to sign up to the site to use the search function. Well worth the trouble. Here a snippet from a post today:

"Pickering and Mayell Ltd was founded in 1913, not as a jeweller but rather to make the packaging in which other firms' jewellery was supplied. Twenty years ago, it merged with the Pickering Group and it still supplies its products to clients ranging from Argos to luxury brands. Their original premises began life in the early nineteenth century as a pair of homes. The style of the building, and features such as the doorframe, are continuing evidence of those beginnings. To its rear are purpose-built workshops. The building is Grade II listed"
1541870238504.png

Update! Sadly my view re the ghost sign being Chas Savage not correct! I’m now happy it is Hall and Co who were electroplated goods manufacturers situated at 3 Great Hampton Street but only for a short time around 1913 which dates the ghost sign very accurately. It looks like the company may have been elsewhere earlier but it appears their earlier premises were demolished possibly to be replaced by the mighty Cannings empire. Hall and Co were also earlier recorded as Drapers on Bull Street but I can’t find any link between the two as yet, but as one followed the other it may be possible there is some connection but early days yet!
If anyone has any information to add it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Tracey of ghost streets/signs has now updated her blog on her website to include various pics of the Hall and Co building including some internal ones where it appears an illegal bar and entertainment may have been provided! Tracey seems to think Hall and Co went on for longer than I did, so I’ll have to check the directories next time I’m in the library.

New one in Stirchley, off the Pershore Road on Twyning Road. For many years was a billboard on here so you couldn't see it.
The shop is now Camerons Antiques, but used to be a newsagents there.

Carthews Ladies & Gents Tailors

The actual address is 1258 Pershore Road and Charles Luscombe Carthew is listed in Kelly's at that address during the 1930s as a tailor.

Lost track of the many signs we’ve uncovered. I don’t think this has been on before. And I just can’t make it out. It’s on a wall on the Warwick Road close to the junction with Lincoln Road near Acocks Green. Viv.

Attachments

• BF513098-D114-47B2-ACED-8E20F2B2BB9F.jpeg
    BF513098-D114-47B2-ACED-8E20F2B2BB9F.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 31
I thought it said "Gold Leaf" - that's tobacco isn't it? However, I think John is right as it definitely say "cigarettes".

Not sure if this is a ghost sign, but it is unveiled above a former shop, now home. Corner of Institute Road and Goldsmith Road in Kings Heath. Used to be painted or plastered over. But looking on Google Maps Street view, some of that came off by 2017.

I don't know how long it continued but it was a shop in the 1940 Kelly's - #1 Goldsmith's Road is listed as a shop although it doesn't say what type of shop.

A lot of those corner shops in Kings Heath have been converted into homes after being vacant for years! Although the one opposite that one is an off licence now.

Just trying to find out.
1959 phone book
1549832841280.png
It was no longer listed in 1969. Will see if there are enough directories on line to see when it moved.

Last edited:
nice find ell....jans kellys say next is wellington passage...is that still there as i have never really noticed

Back