• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Latin Urbs Mille Artificiorum

But none of this thread is concerned with Birmingham sayings and language, which is the section it is in, any more than a Chinese phrase which happens to be set above a Chinese restaurant in Birmingham

Ad Acta...

“Urbs Mille Artificiorum” no doubt represents “The City of a Thousand Trades” even if it is or isn’t correct Latin. But when was this term first coined?

In July 1924 the Birmingham Chamber of Commerce issued its Year Book, and the Index was translated into French and Spanish (but not LATIN).

7829F845-D17B-4F99-9072-FB7F91AA217A.jpeg

Has a humble 'Google Translate' user, when I entered the latin words in capital letters it gave me the translation in #24.
This morning I enters the words capitalised as they are in #32 and it gave a different answer.
Image1.jpg

Birmingham was often referred to as the "Workshop of the World". So when was this phrase (I have no Latin equivalent) first applied to Birmingham?

I believe it was originally used to describe Britain as a whole, and a quick look reveals that a Lord Napier of Magdala mentioned Birmingham as the Workshop in a speech in the city in 1869.

Has anyone read the Book," Birmingham: Workshop of the World" Edited by Carl Chinn and Malcolm Dick? It was published in 2016.

There is a podcast describing the book on the link below with some interesting views on how the inquiry into history is made...
https://historywm.com/podcasts/birmingham-workshop-of-the-world

Last edited:
Back