• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

dont forget folks that when we were going to clubs anyone over 30 was classed as a granny..nowadays the moms are outshining their daughters and good luck to them i say..:D:D and not so long ago i myself was almost whizzing around the floor of the tower ballroom rollar skating over 40 after springhill rollar rink closed..happy days

Anyone remember crossing the Road from the Rum Rummer for breakfast in the Tow Rope Cafe...Opened all Hours !!,,Fabulous Breakfasts especially at 2.00am...

Attachments

• The Tow Rope Cafe..jpg
    The Tow Rope Cafe..jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 39
I used to go to the Locarno, Tower and West End dance halls, and later clubs as mentioned above, Cedar Club, a great night out, the Rum Runner - remember the large barrels that wer part of the seating? Another favourite was the Opposite Lock - off Broad Street, is that the one you were thinking of Mazbeth? Johnny Prescott, the boxer who hailed from Aston also opened a nightclub, I can't recall the name but I went there once it was an upstairs venue at the top of New Street overlooking Victoria Square, almost opposite the Council House - was this Gallaghers Corner? Went to Barbarellas once but I was getting a bit old for clubbing then. There was also Edwards No.7 didn't go there. That was owned by the Fewtrells and I think the Cedar Club was too. The Fewtrells used to lived in Whitehouse Street, Aston, their parents had a little newsagents shop. One of my friends knew Johnny Fewtrell well and we knocked around with him when we were about 14 years old.
Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)
Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)
Hi am replying to Has anyone any memories of Birmingham nightlife!!Well here goes back in early 70s i lived in Croydon and was invited by the manager of a club in Croydon where I worked to go to Birmingham but use my car a ford zephyr mk4 we went to the opposite Lock Nightclub so named due to owner Martin Hones racing car obsession I believe. We were wined and dined very well and saw that night johnny Nash... I can see clearly now and a legend Ella Fitzgerald never will I forget that . We later went upstairs to the VIP area I remember it being all white marble and very swish and playing piano in the bar was the as yet undiscovered Gilbert o Sullivan ... Yes it was an experience and never to be forgotten I know its gone now but only last year I went to Gas Street in my Narrowboat and boy has it changed not that I remember that well it was awhile ago but yes fond memories and im happy to share them thanks from dave M

Hi am replying to Has anyone any memories of Birmingham nightlife!!Well here goes back in early 70s i lived in Croydon and was invited by the manager of a club in Croydon where I worked to go to Birmingham but use my car a ford zephyr mk4 we went to the opposite Lock Nightclub so named due to owner Martin Hones racing car obsession I believe. We were wined and dined very well and saw that night johnny Nash... I can see clearly now and a legend Ella Fitzgerald never will I forget that . We later went upstairs to the VIP area I remember it being all white marble and very swish and playing piano in the bar was the as yet undiscovered Gilbert o Sullivan ... Yes it was an experience and never to be forgotten I know its gone now but only last year I went to Gas Street in my Narrowboat and boy has it changed not that I remember that well it was awhile ago but yes fond memories and im happy to share them thanks from dave M[/QUOTE
Did your frequent each one Skittlelady if so which was your favourite
The Rum Runner was a definite favorite of mine...

Attachments

• Rum Runner.jpg
    Rum Runner.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
I used to go to boogies nightclub every week and every other Wednesday I'm still trying to work out how I used to afford it

Early to mid 80's I was there most Saturday nights - loved it!!
Yes indeed boogies was definitely my favorite especially with the three floors and different music on every level, snobs was good to with the two rooms, first place I ever saw a cocktail bar

I remember the Dolce Vita on the corner of Hurst Street and Smallbrook Queensway. It was a bit of a supper club that catered for a slightly older crowd but some good acts performed there. I remember seeing Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon there in 1971.

Last edited:
I went to the Gary Owen once only. My friend surprised me when she got up and sang, (she was a club regular) and yes,her parents were Irish. The club had a reputation by then as being a bit rough. That was about 1970/1?
Coming from a Birmingham Irish background I often went to the Garryowen from around 1969 to 1973. Brendan Joyce and his doormen knew my uncle and would happily let me and my mates in at any time even though we were teenagers. It was a great place then with no trouble that I ever saw. I moved out of Brum in the mid seventies and on a visit back in 1983 I thought that I would call in at the Garryowen for old times sake but was aggressively turned away by the doorman. Told it was members only, which I knew was not right but didn't risk arguing. I have heard that they often turned away second generation Irish people like myself, regarding them as Brummies. Eventually they ran out of first generation Irish as they died off and the place went down hill and eventually out of business. I never did go back after my experience in 1983.

Last edited:
Never went to the Mackadown, but it might bring back memories for some. Viv.

View attachment 123238
Apparently the Mackadown had the longest bar in England. I went to school round the corner at Archbishop Williams and went to disco's at the Mackadown for a while in 1970. Great for Soul, Tamla and Reggae. Once saw Roy Wood sitting in the passenger seat of a MK 1 Cortina in the car park. I believe he came from somewhere around there.

I remember the Dolce Vita on the corner of Hurst Street and Smallbrook Queensway. It was a bit of a supper club that catered for a slightly older crowd but some good acts performed there. I remember seeing Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon there in 1971.

Yes I do too , my wife and her sister arranged a night out for four the wife her sister and hubby and me .Unfortunately it was the wrong night for me Marmalade was the main act I had to sit through that infernal song Ob La Di , I couldn't get out of the door quick enough

I have really enjoyed reading others recollections of Birmingham club life back in the day. I can relate to nearly every establishment mentioned. I started my clubbing days in 1968.

Good Afternoon My clubbing days or should I say nights, were in the 80s. Ones that I remember going in but vaguely remember coming out, were Power House, Edwards No 8, Millionaires, Boogies, Elbow Room in Aston.

Hattie.

I have really enjoyed reading others recollections of Birmingham club life back in the day. I can relate to nearly every establishment mentioned. I started my clubbing days in 1968.
About the same time I started. Though not Birmingham the Belfry on a Saturday was one of my favourites. Used the Cedar club quite often also the Tower Ballroom.

Hi am replying to Has anyone any memories of Birmingham nightlife!!Well here goes back in early 70s i lived in Croydon and was invited by the manager of a club in Croydon where I worked to go to Birmingham but use my car a ford zephyr mk4 we went to the opposite Lock Nightclub so named due to owner Martin Hones racing car obsession I believe. We were wined and dined very well and saw that night johnny Nash... I can see clearly now and a legend Ella Fitzgerald never will I forget that . We later went upstairs to the VIP area I remember it being all white marble and very swish and playing piano in the bar was the as yet undiscovered Gilbert o Sullivan ... Yes it was an experience and never to be forgotten I know its gone now but only last year I went to Gas Street in my Narrowboat and boy has it changed not that I remember that well it was awhile ago but yes fond memories and im happy to share them thanks from dave M

When you mentioned Johnny Nash, were you referring to one of the Nash brothers from North London?

Myself and my mate Colin (RIP) would have a drink in town , then make our way over to the Grapes pub where we would meet up with 2 cracking girls Jackie and Jane , then it was over to Rebeccas to drink and dance the night away, never did get to know their surnames both of them from Shirley Solihull that was 1972/3 good times. Raz

Back