• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

P.C. David Green

I was standing in the 33 Bus queue outside the Odeon New street cinema that evening having just put a girlfriend her bus outside Bogarts. Three lads ran up from high street past boots and went down towards corporation street. There was commotion coming from High street. The lads were " shorty boys". I have since learnt that the killer was amongst that group. The bus came and I got on it. It was the next day when I heard the news I found out about it.

I have only just read this thread, don't know how i missed it.
I see that the Inspector on duty was Inspector Tom Somerville, from the time he was young police officer in the 40s he was a colleague of my Dads. Tom was injured in the late 50s by a patient from Highcroft hospital who broke into a gun shop and shot Tom, if my memory is correct it was by the Horse trough in Aston.Luckily Tom made a brilliant recovery.
I last saw Tom in 1995 at my Dads funeral he told me he had written a book about his time in the force and had mentioned my Dad and their time as Pro-cons together at Victoria road.
I have never been able to find the book.

I have only just read this thread, don't know how i missed it.
I see that the Inspector on duty was Inspector Tom Somerville, from the time he was young police officer in the 40s he was a colleague of my Dads. Tom was injured in the late 50s by a patient from Highcroft hospital who broke into a gun shop and shot Tom, if my memory is correct it was by the Horse trough in Aston.Luckily Tom made a brilliant recovery.
I last saw Tom in 1995 at my Dads funeral he told me he had written a book about his time in the force and had mentioned my Dad and their time as Pro-cons together at Victoria road.
I have never been able to find the book.
I was a Constable at Queens Road from 1979 to 1986. At that time the firearms training unit was based there. I was told the story of the shooting by Sergeant 5345 Frank Brown. He joined 1963. I believe that I met Tom Somerville because Frank told me the tale how it all occurred by the Manor tavern pub Wainwright st at Portland St Lichfield road. I believe it would have been 1984 and Mr Somerville was about to retire from Firearms training.

Last edited:
Alberta,

I've only just read this thread too because it was created whilst I was offline for three weeks. I've failed to find any book by Thomas Somerville relating to the police force, so either he never got around to getting it published, or it was published privately without an ISBN. However the incident referred to in your post #23 was reported in the Birmingham Daily Gazette dated 5 May 1951 and I reproduce it below.

Maurice

Somerville.jpg

Maximillian, you may have come across my Dad at Queens road, not sure of the dates but he did his 30years, I think he started 1948/49, he was on the beat,on the motor bikes and in later years was Gaffers driver and then as a civilian he was Vehicle controller at Queens Road, Tom'Dad' Moore.

Back