• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Davenports

Yes, when I was a kid we used to live opposite Davenports, when the trams were scrapped and they were tearing up the tracks our mom used to send us kids up onto Bath row to get a cart full of tar blocks for our fire. We used to come home with our hands plastered in tar.

There was one in Coleshill, cannot quite recall the name, it was on Birmingham Road

Yep, it was the Bell Inn

The saddest aspect of the Davenports history was the take over and closure by Greenalls, who asset stripped and destroyed what had been built up. Does anybody remember Drum Bitter ?1545003.jpg

There was one in Coleshill, cannot quite recall the name, it was on Birmingham Road

Yep, it was the Bell Inn

Hi
In the 1970s it was a free house brewing its own beer, I remember a chap
called Rupert Tegg who was involved with tending the brew.
However, he used to drink in the Toby Jug in Castle Bromwich which is where
I met him when I was bar/cellarman there in the early 70s.
I think Davenports took it over later, and as far as I know, it is still open
but I dont know who runs it.
Kind regards
Dave

HI CROM , AND EVERYBODY WHO,S CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD
ON DAVENPORTS .
I WOULD JUST LIKE TO COMMENT ,THAT PIC,S ARE GOOD OFF CROMIE
AND THE THREADS ARE GOOD READING ,FROM EVERYBODY ELSE
AND THAT DOLL,S COMMENT , BROUGHT A BIG SMILE TO MY FACE
WHEN XMAS TIME IT WENT MISSING DOWN NEWTOWN ROW ,
I PRESUME SHE MEANS DOWN AND AROUND THE OLD
ALMA ST, GERRARD ST LENNOX ST AND OF COURES SUMMER LANE ,
THE CROOKS PARADISE ,WE HAD SOME GOOD OLD CHARACTERS IN AND AROUND THAT QUARTER
I COULD NAME AFEW , EVEN THOU THEY HAVE PASSED ON , BUT I WILL NOT
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OLD BIRMINGHAM BOTTLE EXCHANGE ,
THAT WAS DOWN THE FACTORY RD HOCKLEY , THEY HAD A DEPOT IN WOLVERHAPTON , AS WELL AS BRUM
THEY WOULD GO TO ALL THE BREWERIES AND MILK DEPOT ,
MIDLAND COUNTIES , THE COO/OP WAGADON , DAIRES ANSELL, M,B, AKINSINSON,S
YOU NAME THEM THEY WOULD GO ALL OVER THE BRUM
COLLECT GRATES ,AND GRATES OF THEM
AND THEY WOULD WASH AND SORT THEM OUT FOR THE INDIVUAL PARTIES ,
BY THE LORRY LOADS DAILY
WITH OUT THERE HELP THERE NUMBER OF BOTTLES WOULD HAVE TWINDLED
BECAUSE THEY ALL ACCUMELATED FORIGN BOTTLES ,

I THOUGHT I WOULD MENTION THEM , I DON,T WANT TO CHANGE OF THE SUBJECT OF DAVENPORTS
BECAUSE I,M INTRESTED IN THE SUBJECT
CARRY ON FRIENDS , I,M WATCHING ,

BEST WISHES TO YOU ALL FOR 2007 ,
ASTONIAN ,;;;;

Astonian just a quick aside any chance of getting the The Birmingham Bottle Bank back now we're supposed to be trying to find an alternative to plastic

Davenport's Beer at Home My Mom & Dad had a delivery every week with 6 bottles of POP couldn't wait

I used to have six bottles of light ale delivered every Thursday whilst living in Selston Rd Aston in the late 70's , truth is I could never work the pricing out , I'm sure there was a reduction with return of bottles delivered the week before but each week it was a different price . When I lived in William St off Granville St , I used to stand and look through the windows on Bath Row mesmerised at all those bottles going around and around empty at first then full up and off

I remember my grandad having a Davenports delivery every week! 6 bottles of beer and 6 bottles of pop!!!! And i remember the slogan.... beer at home means davenports!!!! :D

Does anyone have any photos of the Colmore Arms that used to stand on Latimer Street South? Almost on the junction of Great Colmore Street and opposite St Asaphs church? My grans cut through was between Colmore Arms and Toogoods the plumbers. Colmore Arms was an Ansells pub. Latimer Street and most of Lee Bank was pulled down in the sixties and replaced with flats and maisionettes which is in turn being pulled down now to make way for Park Central. My grandad would be spinning in his grave at the thought of all those yuppies!!!!

My only recollection s of this pub was dropping in there for a game of darts with a work colleague on a Saturday morning between 1969-71 . The manager and his wife had a theatrical background I think looking at them. He was always immaculately turned out along with his wife they had theatre pics scattered around the wall , when I went to the bar I always found myself staring at a sign on the wall above the spirits shelf which read Tour Du Monde . I often thought was this what the both of them were waiting for , he once corrected me for tapping my finger on the counter , he was serving me I wasn't trying to get his attention as there was nobody else in the bar he looked at me eye to eye and said "Your nerves playing you up" . I've used that expression myself quite a lot when someones tapping around me . I will ad I think it was just called The Colmore in those days I went there

WHAT HAPPENED TO DAVENPORTS AND THE FEW DAVENPORTS PUBS? IT WAS A THRIVING CONCERN IN THE 1970s.
ALSO THAT 700' WELL HOLE? WHAT IS THE SOURCE OF THE WATER?
It was taken over by Greenall Witley Brewery in the 80’s. I worked there in the laboratory and as a packaging supervisor until 1979 when I transferred to M & B in Smethwick. Just in the nick of time. The pubs eventually came under Greene King.

Thank you Wendy. i am suprised that i have not made contact with anyone who is researching the surname Davenport in the Birmingham area, whether or not they have connection to the brewing family.A few years ago now i made contact with the last surviving Brewing family member Mr Eustace Davenport, after a family fued over as far as i can remember over the sale of controlling shares , Eustance' wife destroyed all family archives and photographs. My 3rd x Grt grandfather may be the brother Robrt Davenport.
I would always be interested in contacting anyone doing this family history.
Thanks Clive Davenport
Hi
I am related to Baron Davenport and am sorting through some family bits and pieces (lockdown).. I am related to the 7th daughter and my mother had shares which helped when I was a child. I would need to dig a bit to get names etc but would be interested in knowing more about the davenports. I have a copy of Barons funeral service and somewhere an article that said he left a very large sum to charity when he does which fits in with his character. Dale Gooding

Just looking at the Charity point, it gives a glowing description of Baron Davenport....interesting!

Baron Davenport's Charity
"...He was described in a newspaper article dated March 1930 as being ‘public spirited and kind hearted’ and ‘an ideal employer’. Baron provided excellent working conditions for staff at the Brewery..."

Hi
I am related to Baron Davenport and am sorting through some family bits and pieces (lockdown).. I am related to the 7th daughter and my mother had shares which helped when I was a child. I would need to dig a bit to get names etc but would be interested in knowing more about the davenports. I have a copy of Barons funeral service and somewhere an article that said he left a very large sum to charity when he does which fits in with his character. Dale Gooding

Hello Dale, Ada was the 7th Daughter b. 1878 of Joseph Davenport b.1832 d.1910.
She married William Robert Walker Murray , Solicitor.
Her Brother Baron John is my 2nd Cousin 3x removed. Sounds distant but we share the same 4 x Great Grandfather Robert Davenport b.1765.
so you and I are related albeit distant.

I have done a large amount of family research and would love to hear from you.Thank you. Clive D.

Last edited:
Back