• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mystery Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 4th pic in post#5 shows what appear to be two tall metal chimneys, one to the left of the bungalow type building and the other to the right, but not much use as visual clues.
The lorry in the pic is bright yellow, so all we have to do is find some builder's company using yellow lorries in the 1980s ...:grinning:
The lorry behind also looks yellow when the pic saturation is increased.
BT had yellow vehicles in the 1980s but did they have lorries looking like the one in the pic?
I notice two pillars on the front wall have elaborate looking cap stones.

I think that's the sort of grand building that the Victorians built as workhouses many of which were later turned into hospitals...…………………………...anyone for a workhouse search?:)

I've also had a good look at sanatoriums, hospitals, almshouses, workhouses, and religious colleges in all the surrounding counties, but did not see anything.

Hi Guys
Ihave been spending time on this thread today it sure his a hard nut to crack for christmas i have been trying to zoom in on the walls of what appears to be a religious figure thats a possiblitity i say to myself
Its clearly where the lorries are i presume its an entrance to the building looking at the first couple of shots i do not see any entrance and i think a lot of convents used to have a statue or figure on there very first entrance way in i may be wrong bot i have set my self a changlence to crack this one there again i may not but also if i am not wrong to me on the front windows there appears to me letters that what i think i am seeing but cannot make out the letters Alan

I've spent a couple of hours on this today, it's hard to believe that a grand building like this with so many ornate features cannot be found on google. There were some similar features on the workhouse in Sunderland but in many respects the unknown building is a lot more ornate. I've checked asylums, workhouses, convalescent homes, schools, hospitals and prisons, all to no avail. As suggested there is a typical 70s multi-storey car park in the distance (probably demolished by now).
I will be super impressed if or when this is solved. John

is it most likely my eyes or a trick of the camera but in photo 2 post 1 it looks like there is a pram parked up which led me to think maybe a home for unmarried mothers but then the date of 1984 and the building being so large i doubt it..just me thinking outside the box:rolleyes:

lyn

Last edited:
In the Victorian and first thirty years roughly many hospitals were built of red brick I know of four, at least in South Devon and I am sure that those of you searching the web have probably seen many all over the UK.
The bus stop is marked on the roadway and I think the shelter looks like it has been removed as was the actual bus stop pole and plate. Had the bus stop sign been there it could have given a positive clue if the building was/is in Brum.

I knew I had seen the building somewhere, the angle of the photo's were a bit off putting, they must have been taken from a road on a higher level than the road passing the hospital.

When I was about 10 to 12 years old we often parked by the high wall on the main road eating fish & chips from a chippy opposite the hospital whilst on the way to holidays in North Wales.

The hospital was on the main road out of Kidderminster heading towards Bridgenorth, I think the chimney in the background belonged to a carpet manufacturer of a well know brand of carpets however the name of the company escapes me.

We can say this mystery was solved all from eating a bag of chips.

And thankfully it still exists, just checked on google maps. They don't make buildings like that any more, so much character.

John

And thankfully it still exists, just checked on google maps. They don't make buildings like that any more, so much character.

John
they sure dont john and we are lucky to have anything like that left standing nowadays

lyn

The place was completed in 1870 I gather. It has been converted into flats but retains much of its original exterior. The curios thing is the place from where the photo was taken. It appears it was taken in the road named Proud Cross Ringwaywhich was either being constructed or the original road widened when the photo was taken - which was a while ago as there are some fine trees there now which were not inthe original photo. The bus stop is still there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back