• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Peter's Church Harborne

[I have added St Peter's to the thread title for clarity]

The following may or may not be connected with the family mentioned in the above plaque. It is a note added to the end of the burial register that runs to 1912. Hope it is useful to someone:
February 12 1906

At the end of the Stoke hole, under the south door, some coffins were found tobe in sight, and the churchwardens ordered a brick wal to be mad so as to separate them entirely from that part of the building. A copy was made of the inscriptions on the coffin plates as follows:
Hannah Maria Green d Jan 24 1860 age 3 months
James Smart d June 6 1854 19 months 11 days
Edwin Taylerson Feb 9 1855 2 years
Hannah Blott Gorke ??? Mar 4 1861 8 months ++++
Sarah Green Feb 6 1855 64 years
Hubert Green Sep 28 1863 53 years

**** I think that it's possible that this was transcribed incorrectly at the time. I can find no corresponding Edwin Taylerson (birth or death), but I can find the death of Elizabeth Ann Taylerson in Kings N reg district in the correct quarter

++++ I have searched in vain to try to work out what this name is....

It is not unusual for unusual names to be miss-transcribed and therefore not show up on a census search. However the 1862 census gives 14 entries for a first name Blott. Of these, four are named Blott Yorke (or York), and three of these are from Aston. A bit of a coincidence.
1. 54 Vaughton St
Elizabeth Yorke (65) born Bromsgrove (trsanscribed in ancestry as York)
Blott Yorke (27) son painter.paperhanger, born Birmingham

2 & 3. 189 Darwin st
Mary Ann Yorke (50) widow, housekeeper born West Bromwich
Blott Yorke (27) son married, wire drawer born Birmingham
Elizabeth Yorke (27) daughter in law (wife of blott) wire drawer born newport staffs
Elvia Yorke (31) daughter dressmaker born Birmingham
Mary Ann Yorke (6) grandchild born Aston
Blott Yorke (4) grandson, born Aston
George Shanks (54) lodger chair maker born London

I would guess that Blott is a family name and that the name is Blott Yorke . Possibly Hannah was from the second family, daughter of Elizabeth

Yes of course Mike - it could easily be Yorke! It could even be me mis-reading it- you know what micro-films can be like!

Found St Peter's Church Harborne on a walk round Old Church Road (after I went to Grove Park again).

This view after I went all the way around the road.

Not too visible from the roadside as I went around!

Back