• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rivers : River Rea

During the programme they mentioned the Banana unloading area, if possible can someone pinpoint the area as I would like to visit there Thanks Dave
Has a Child I lived in Howe st which ran off Duneston st (I think) it was along time ago. At the bottom of Howe st was a huge wall (known locally has the dead wall) on the other side of the wall, was a railway unloading yard were bananas was unloaded. I don't think Howe st is there anymore.

Aston Boy

Howe Street ran from AB Row to Curzon Street The area you talk about would have most likely have been the then Curzon Street goods depot. Would this have been the wall you mention?

Bordesley Curzon St.JPG

I was born in Inkerman St in 39.After 1945-6 when we started to grow up we used to go round the side of the Raiway club through the iron railings and down the rope onto the River Rea.In the Summer we used to block the centre arch with anything we could find and swim in there.Every thing was fine till one day some bombs floateddown (they were yellow with a 4 fin end) Some one called the police and they wouldn't let us down for weeks

Someone else that has heard of the Railway Club. I spent a lot of my youth there, having fun & working. Great times.

Am I dreaming it but did I once see an old advert for Birds Custard that said something like "manufactured beside a river in leafy Warwickshire"? Strictly speaking this was correct but the implication that the manufactory was in a rural, bosky situation was hardly correct.

In my early life the river Rea played a big part we lived in a cul de sack and at the bottom was the entrance to Colmers Farm sports field in Rubery and in the very back corner the Callow brook joined the river Rea, half the homes backed on to the field so it became our play site we use to dam the Rea and stop the flow flood the local area get soaked playing then go home and tell my mother I got splashed by a frog HA HA

I don't think anybody has mentioned the confluence (is that the right word) of The Rea and the Bournbrook which used to be inside Cannon Hill Park just adjacent to the paddling pool. Where we kids used to spend more time paddling than in the actual paddling pool it was certainly cleaner. As I remember it back then the bridge in the photo wasn't there then and must have been built with Birmingham Zoo which later became a Nature Reserve.

Edgbaston Cannon Hill River Rea & the Bournbrook..jpg

Us Saltley kids use to swim in the river rea on hot summers days in late 70s early 80s
we would get in on by landor street and montague street
Theres a tunnel we called the DARK HALF HOUR as it took half hour in the dark get too one end too other
plus theres a waterfall we used a lot, we saved a fair few dogs over the years aswell who were trapped down there.
Great times with great people during hard times with my mother bringing 5 of us up on her own.
hope u like the photos below ive took
The photos were taken between Montague Street and High street Deritend

Last edited:
Never ventured that far up the Rea.Were the railway club was there were no trees just nice clean walls.See my posts earlier.Post 143 I was 6 IN 1945

Last edited:
Back