• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

39-41 high street, deritend

Hi Jackie. I have been researching my family history for years and have quite a bit of information on this branch if you’re interested

Hi. I am new to this site and found this thread by searching for information on the Duke of Edinburgh at 64 Birchall Street. This is because Edward Hill who was running the pub at one point is my great grandfather. I can’t find any records of this pub being still in existence and my theory is that it may have been knocked down maybe after being damaged during WW2 but I can’t find any records of this. I have looked on google earth at the the street and can only find two existing pubs with different names. Any other information you may have would help with the search of my family history.

Paul.

Hi Paul my great grandfather x2 ran this pub in the 1850s and ran a fire iron making business from there as well. He was also described in the trades directories as a brewer and beer seller, so this leads me to believe he made his own. I think the pub was long gone before WW2 as I have not been able to find any reference to it in trades directories.

PB & Debbie

The first reference I can find is in the 1915 Edition of Kelly's Trade Directory. The then landlord was John Hall Junior, the previous landlord to that was Edward Hall in 1910. I think the pub was demolished around the 1920's and replaced by a brassfounders, well it was somewhere around that time. I don't think the premises were ever a fully licenced and it was just a beer retailers only licenced to sell beers, ales, wines and cider. Have you any idea of the date when your relation was the landlord?

The 1912 electoral roll lists Edward Hill at no 64 Birchall St. Obviously a missprint. The building seems to be missing from the 1920 electoral rolls and after. and is not mentioned in the 1921 or after in Kellys. It is included in the 1915 Kellys, but this would refer to the year 1914 as 1915 is the year of publication, not when the details were collected. It can be seen from the cuttings below that the pub was considered "redundant" in 1914, and so it is likely to have ceased trading in that year.

birm gazette.3.4.1914 pub redundancies.jpgbirm gazette.19.6.1914. pub redundancy.jpgEv dispatch.12.2.1914.pub redundancies.jpg

The 1912 electoral roll lists Edward Hill at no 64 Birchall St. Obviously a missprint. The building seems to be missing from the 1920 electoral rolls and after. and is not mentioned in the 1921 or after in Kellys. It is included in the 1915 Kellys, but this would refer to the year 1914 as 1915 is the year of publication, not when the details were collected. It can be seen from the cuttings below that the pub was considered "redundant" in 1914, and so it is likely to have ceased trading in that year.

View attachment 128694View attachment 128695View attachment 128696
Once again you have come up trumps with excellent information.

View attachment 128694View attachment 128695View attachment 128696
This is good info - thanks for sharing.

Hi. I am new to this site and found this thread by searching for information on the Duke of Edinburgh at 64 Birchall Street. This is because Edward Hill who was running the pub at one point is my great grandfather. I can’t find any records of this pub being still in existence and my theory is that it may have been knocked down maybe after being damaged during WW2 but I can’t find any records of this. I have looked on google earth at the the street and can only find two existing pubs with different names. Any other information you may have would help with the search of my family history.

Paul.
Hello Paul - just saw this after I posted on another comment - Edward & Lizie Hill were my GGF & GGA too!
Chris

Back