• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harvo Malt Bread

Bob,

Yes, we can get Soreen over here in Crete, but as you describe it, it is fairly doughy and always strikes me as being a bit over-baked. Bunloaf, on the other hand, was fairly light and I haven't encountered it since I left Brum in 1961. Shame.

Maurice
Not seen it locally for a few years, is it still available in the UK? In Devon we get Saffron Cake.
Bob

Hi Bill, It was lovely to see your thread on Harvo Ltd. It was situated at the bottom of Lawley street, I worked there from when I was 15. Your uncle David Thomas Herbert Lloyd was Company secretary and
my Boss, I know his wife always called him Bert. I know rank Hovis McDougal which I think were United Bakeries bought the Recipe when the company finally closed. Your uncle was very hot on punctuation,
so when he dictated letter to us we made him put in the puntuation as he wanted it. happy days.
Hi my dad worked there (as an engineer I think) in the 70s. His name was Kevin O'Reilly. He was Irish. Do you remember him?

Hi Bill, I remember Harvo very well. I worked there for just one summer, the blistering hot summer of 1976. I was a student at nearby Aston Uni. It was a fun place to be and very different to another Bakery I’d worked in every summer since 1971 - Bowketts in Broadstairs in Kent. But after a few weeks it got a bit tricky. There was a wildcat strike and when it came to the vote in the canteen everyone was in favour and all hands went up, except mine that is. When it came to those against, I put my hand up. I was instantly ‘sent to Coventry’ was squared up to in the changing on several occasions and lighted matches were thrown over the wall if I went to the loo. But I survived and didn’t regret my decision, but I’m surprised I didn’t get a serious smacking. One elderly guy remained kind and pleasant at all times, which helped. But I enjoyed my summer there all the same, character-building stuff! John Bates
Hi...my dad worked there in the 70s. His name was Kevin O'Reilly. Do you remember him?

Just going slightly off topic, but only slightly, does anyone remember my other favourite, Bun Loaf? Many cake & bread shops used to sell it, including Wimbush's.

Maurice
Bun loaf seems to be a variation of (Tea) Brack, although commercial breads never taste the same as home-baked and we tend to like whichever our mums served up! Brack is easy to make at home, you just need to have the time to let the fruit to soak.

I didn't know that Harvo had been a local product. It just seemed to disappear from the shops and then re-appeared as Soreen, which we thought was just a re-brand, like Jif/Cif. Perhaps then I am right in remembering that a slice of Harvo maintained its shape, unlike Soreen, which turns into a dough ball under a less than super-sharp knife. (I bought a pack of Warburton's wholemeal rolls once, intending to fill them with salad, but that never happened as they too became dough balls. I complained and received a voucher for replacements but I didn't bother redeeming it).

Last edited:
Dianeor1,what year was your dad at Bowketts.I was Security Officer on nights 85-86 overseeing the loading of the vans for delivery

Used to love Harvo as kids, always remember seeing the vans going round brum delivering it fresh to the shops, used to have it as a treat about once a week, sticky, moist, spread with lots of butter or maybe margarine and it tasted divine.
If i remember correctly it was in a white wrapper with Harvo printed in green letters, think they used to make it somewhere in town not sure where but probably long gone now, not seen it for years, things that stick in your mind as a child.
And if i had a few pennies to spend (not very often) i would buy Black Jacks or Fruit Salad used to get about 8 for a penny, or there was some chewing gum called Bazooka Joe, i also remember another sweet that looked like hand rolling tobacco similar packet etc that was called Spanish Gold i think, and then of course the good old standby Licorice, used to love my rock, moved to Aldridge in 1963 and they had never heard of rock they called it suck, strange lot !!

The internet gives the following information:
"Harvo" was a brand of malt loaf which was made at the company's bakery at 257 Lawley Street, Birmingham until the company went bankrupt in 1973. In some areas, the name Harvo or Harvo Loaf is still often used to describe malt loaf, regardless of the brand.

I never had Harvo, but I do remember my Mum buying Hovis Bread, which is made by RHM. They also make a few other items I remember, and still use myself: Atora suet, Bisto gravy browning, Robertson's marmelade, and Sharwood's curry powder and chutney. Can't seem to get Hovis anymore, am trying to find a recipe for it.
The Two Ronnies had a spoof of the original Hovis TV advert:

My late husband worked at Harvo,s His name was Allan Williams he would bring one home most days. It was sad when it closed due to the new roads

9_1456509474_5833_300_300.jpg

:yum

For those of you that enjoy a fruit loaf, if north of the wall, try a Selkirk Bannock.

They are good.

Steve.

I never had Harvo, but I do remember my Mum buying Hovis Bread, which is made by RHM. They also make a few other items I remember, and still use myself: Atora suet, Bisto gravy browning, Robertson's marmelade, and Sharwood's curry powder and chutney. Can't seem to get Hovis anymore, am trying to find a recipe for it.
The Two Ronnies had a spoof of the original Hovis TV advert:
I found this from Birmingham Museums Trust: Hovis' managing director giving a pep talk to staff, 1935.
800px-Thinktank_Birmingham_-_Hovis.jpg

Attachments

• hovis.jpg
    hovis.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2
Back