• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Country Museum

Thanks Pedrocut, for confirming my thoughts. So cannot see how the pub can be reconstructed at the BCLM. Streetview shows the site from 2016 below. A few weeks ago, when I was passing, there seems to be a featureless warehouse going up now, confirming the article's conclusions

View attachment 115202
It states that the Elephant & Castle will be "recreated" not reconstructed.
Dave A

hi mike might it be that the pub has been put into storage ready for construction at the BCM fingers crossed..:).

lyn

I missed that, but did see "when entire old buildings are transported brick-by-brick to find new life in a museum.", which is what the museum has done before. Will be interested to know how many will be treated in each of these two ways.
Lyn
I don't think there would have been a chance, as the article says. I remember going past on the saturday, and it was just a closed pub, and then went up again to Wolves (on I think it was the Wednesday after) a few days later and it was just an enormous pile of bricks.

well i didnt realise that the bcm had their own archives on site...once again well done to them for saving and preserving their historical buildings something they continue to do..cant wait for the next lot of buildings to be on show..once again i am going to one of their christmas evening events:)...all dates are now sold out but they still have tickets left for the christmas on the home front evening which is a new event..

https://www.bclm.co.uk/news/curators-blog-we-get-by-with-a-little-help-from-our-volunteers/824.htm

Last edited:
Thanks Lyn. The Museum seems to be going from strength to strength. How lovely to be going to their Christmas event again. Viv

i cant think of a better place to go to get the true feeling and spirit of christmas viv i shall be going on the 16th dec which is great as its so close to christmas day...think they put on 5 nights last year each taking in at least 15000 visitors..it was rammed to the rafters...if they had 10 chippies it would not have been enough to cope with demand but there was plenty of other eating places including the womens institute..:) will try and get some photos this time

lyn

Last edited:
And also the new Dudley Archives are next door (to the left of the museum looking at the main entrance). This, I understand, now also has a museum on the first floor

Just back from seeing the film Stan & Ollie. Some of the scenes were shot in the Black Country Museum. The Bottle & Glass Inn appears with an enormous CGI bridge to the side - supposed to represent Newcastle. Not sure if they used the interior to film too. They also used the fish & chip shop, Canal Street and a trolley bus.

Also they used the Old Vic.

Good to see. Must have made some money for the venues. Viv.

Feeling my age today Mike ! Have edited it.

Pity they didn’t use the Barton Arms too. Viv.

yes missing our using the bartons was missed chance ..how strange not to use it

lyn

Just back from seeing the film Stan & Ollie. Some of the scenes were shot in the Black Country Museum. The Bottle & Glass Inn appears with an enormous CGI bridge to the side - supposed to represent Newcastle. Not sure if they used the interior to film too. They also used the fish & chip shop, Canal Street and a trolley bus.

Also they used the Old Vic.

Good to see. Must have made some money for the venues. Viv.
I think it was THE OLD REP in Birmingham !!!! not Old Vic

Thanks Bill - of course it is. Definitely having a Senior Old Viv moment tonight ! Vic (!)

well done to the black country museum..over 40 years ago they had a vision to save some of their historic buildings and they are not finished yet..cant wait to visit when this next stage is completed

Last edited:
Back