• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Snow Hill (the Road)

1964 and most of Snow Hill had been demolished. I had done my National Service and bought a car and often parked it on the rough car park shown in this pic. A man handed out a ticket at the little white hut on entry and paid when we left.
SnowHillCar_Park.jpg

Snow Hill in 1953, a scene I knew well in the decade of my youth when I was having lots of fun. Three years later National Service for me and a different kind of fun ... :)
View attachment 120698
Interesting to see Perry's the jewellers, in 1959 I bought my wife's engagement ring there and because my Dad knew, presumably, Mr Perry, it was bought after hours, ask me no more, then to the Hippodrome, we always went on Thursdays, a young singer called Cliff something was appearing at least I think that was what all the screaming young ladies were saying or screaming. Funnily enough I had bumped into Cliff earlier, as we rounded a corner with a doorway in it, yes he said sorry, my fault, smiled and walked on. I wonder what ever happened to the lad? The climax of the evening was my fiancee trying on the ring and then not being able to get it off. Happy days and yes she still has and still wears the ring.
Bob

#218 - hard to believe ! Wonder what was removed from the top of Howard's Restaurant ? No surprise that Bliss's stocked Swallow raincoats as they were made just down the road.

If I hadn't been told where this was, I would never have imagined it to be Snow Hill. Viv.

viv i have posted this before so you have probably seen it but another wonderful shot and one of my favourites of snow hill

snowhillfromconstitutionhill_zps1dbdff13.jpg

There were twelve of this type of bus, Bedfords, which were purchased with the Limited Stop services in mind. The 98 (not sure why 998 is shown) was introduced in February 1969 from New Street to Kingstanding. Of the 12 buses five were used for the 98. As there is another similar bus following it might suggest a well used service. By the time the photo was taken the PTE has taken over.

1964 and most of Snow Hill had been demolished. I had done my National Service and bought a car and often parked it on the rough car park shown in this pic. A man handed out a ticket at the little white hut on entry and paid when we left.
View attachment 120701
I used to go to the tea wagon on this site, late on a Saturday night after the clubs had closed in the 1970s.
It was the usual haunt if you had been unsuccessful in meeting a member of the opposite sex. Cheer yourself up with a cuppa and a greasy burger. Lovely on top of a few pints.

I remember those single deckers going through Kingstanding but never used one. Probably due to them being limited stoppers. I used to get the 90/91 near Tresham Road - maybe the 98 didn't stop at that point ? If the nearest stop was the Kingstanding Rd/Hawthorn Rd/Dyas Rd junction, that would explain it. It would've been easier to wait for the 90/91 double-deckers. Viv.

viv i have posted this before so you have probably seen it but another wonderful shot and one of my favourites of snow hill

View attachment 120707

Lovely picture of Snow Hill.

How does the song go…”No Snow on Snow Hill…?”

Would that be the Salutation on the left? And a bit of street furniture.

What was the difference of the 5A to the number 5?

Lovely picture of Snow Hill.

How does the song go…”No Snow on Snow Hill…?”

Would that be the Salutation on the left? And a bit of street furniture.

What was the difference of the 5A to the number 5?
The 5 was the route number when the route started and the destination was indicated as Perry Common. The bus terminated at the Ring (Enderby Road). Once the Witton Lodge council estate was completed, the buses were extended to Court Lane as the 5a, but the 5 was still the more frequent route for a time, until eventually at the beginning of 1939 I think (Radiorails will I think be able to date it exactly) ran regularly as the 5a as the Perry Common Court Lane and the Perry Common 5 was a peak period bus. Eventually (?date Radiorails?), the 5a became the 5. After 1962 I dont know what happened.
Bob

In 1950 the Birmingham Gazette featured a series of sketches of Old Birmingham by John L Baker.

Does anyone remember this on Snow Hill?

9C4E4983-249D-48BB-875E-DA4FE80B6126.jpeg

The 5 was the route number when the route started and the destination was indicated as Perry Common. The bus terminated at the Ring (Enderby Road). Once the Witton Lodge council estate was completed, the buses were extended to Court Lane as the 5a, but the 5 was still the more frequent route for a time, until eventually at the beginning of 1939 I think (Radiorails will I think be able to date it exactly) ran regularly as the 5a as the Perry Common Court Lane and the Perry Common 5 was a peak period bus. Eventually (?date Radiorails?), the 5a became the 5. After 1962 I dont know what happened.
Bob
WOW! This one slipped below the radar! ;)
All Bob writes in correct. The dates he queries is July, 1939 for the 5A Court Lane extension and 29 November, 1964 for the route to become simply 5. There were suffix letters for short working with the PTE. This must have changed again as I read on this Forum that the 5 now goes to Solihull.

im risking that this has not been posted before..another of my favourites... you can just see the roof of the salutation pub on the right...

lyn

Link replaced to DJ Norton photo here

https://www.photobydjnorton.com/SnowHillConstitutionHill1000.jpg

When I worked off Holloway Head late 60's , I used a pub The Gough Arms . Postmen from the newly opened sorting office in Severn St , used to have a bit of a sing song . One of the songs had the words there's no snow in Snow Hill ,there's no sun in Summer lane and the end to one of the verses went everybody throwing bottles at the Salutation . Can anyone name that song ?

here you go john...see the palm trees swaying way down summer lane..introduction by carl chinn...what a song

lyn

Back