• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bromford Racecourse

Another photograph of Bromford Bridge from the 1960's..

Attachments

• Bromford Bridge Racecourse 1960's.jpg
    Bromford Bridge Racecourse 1960's.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 57
Fond memories of Bromford Racecourse in the early 60's, but not for racing. There were rugby and football pitches on the course and our school (Marsh Hill Boys Tech) games afternoons were held there.
Me too. I remember the brick-built changing rooms, and then on to the rugby pitches. I know there were some other playing fields we were taken by bus to when the racecourse closed, but I can't remember where. I do remember doing cross country around Witton Lakes.

I remember a saturday morning school rugby match at Bromford Bridge, i was playing scrum half and the fog was so bad i could barely see the rear ends of the back row in front of me.

Me too. I remember the brick-built changing rooms, and then on to the rugby pitches. I know there were some other playing fields we were taken by bus to when the racecourse closed, but I can't remember where. I do remember doing cross country around Witton Lakes.

Yes me too, I remember the racecourse from school sports, I was at Marsh Hill girls!

have you tried putting in marsh hill school in the search box phil??something may turn up on here..i think there is something on marsh hill girls and boy grammar schools but not sure if thats what you are after

lyn

have you tried putting in marsh hill school in the search box phil??something may turn up on here..i think there is something on marsh hill girls and boy grammar schools but not sure if thats what you are after

lyn
There are a couple of newspaper reports and group pictures, but I just wanted a general external picture of the school, and can't find anything on the internet at all.

i will keep my eyes open for you...can you confirm its the grammar schools you are searching for and i am taking it they are now demolished not my neck o the woods thats why i ask

lyn

Yes. I went to Marsh Hill Boy's School. I'm writing about it for my grandchildren and wanted a picture, but found that it has since been demolished and apparently airbrushed out of history ;)

as with lots of schools etc phil...ok i will see what i can find and im sure other members will

Hi. It brings back memories. Do you know, I can't find a single photograph of either the boy's or the girl's school. Trying to write about my life for the grandchildren.

I can't recollect seeing any photos of school sports days, maybe none were ever taken?

There should be some annual class / school photos which would show part of the school as a background but I'm not sure any photos of just the buildings.

It wasn't like these days when everyone is taking photos of everything all the time!!

Hi,

I have a seen a little discussion and some old photos of the bromford bridge racecourse which are great. I am also interested in any record of the horses that ran there, such as those that won the most on that track? Also, any particularly famous or interesting stories that go with the races, whether the horses or people,
Thanks very much!

A map of the course in 1903. Not sure what the purpose was of this but “Falls regularly round bend” and “Very nice gallop indeed” are marked on the map ! Maybe it was for visitors.

Viv.

1940B5C4-0338-44C8-80DB-8D13331B8882.jpeg

I remember the racecourse and the railway "station" (actually it was more of a "halt", and always looked very temporary), and I plead guilty to having lived on the housing estate that replaced it. I had no choice, as I was still living with my parents in a council flat in Washwood Heath when the "redevelopment" opened and we were offered the chance to move. In many ways, looking back, I'd probably have preferred to stay where we were, but on the upside I was now living 10 minutes walk away from the home of the girl I eventually married, and our golden wedding anniversary is next year.....

My first experience of the racing world was a visit to Bromford Bridge in tbe late 50s.
What a fantastic sight and occasion ! I arrived in the silver ring just in time to see Brian Swift win on Miss Romper to be followed by an afternoon of strange new sights and sounds.The noise,shouts, cheers,happy faces,many glum ones,soon resolutely checking their racecards and newspapers for investments on the next race.The strange signalling of the tic tac men and,of course,the bookies.Ted Lewis,who would have a wad of notes saying "Pay,Pay"after a race and Alf Hall who before a race,would shout "What yer gonna dooo".
I nearly forgot --there were horses as well !!
Tojo.

Back