• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old street pics..

My ancestors lived in a couple of properties on the Lichfield road, which was just up from the station. They lived in other streets as well.

My ancestors lived at around 201, Lichfield rd, however, it was great to see what the place as a whole looked like - because that was around the time they lived there.

Hi, Astonian,

Was there a mention of Jukes and Son in that book about the Ladypool Road shops? It was a hardware and decorating shop that I worked at part-time in the 60s. I've loved seeing the old photos of Kyrwicks Lane posted here recently, especially Phil's one of the Long St/Kyrwicks Lane corner. I lived just a few houses down in Long St from there and it brought back so many memories. I was surprised to see The Cottage of Content pub too, as I'd forgotten it. I only heard it mentioned as the "The Cottage" anyway and I thought the Railway Arms was on that spot.

Regards, Ray T.

Hello Ray, I'm new to this forum and on a learning curve.
I lived at the corner of Long Steet and Kyrwicks Lane
1950,s to 60,s and went to Christ Church School.
Head master Mr Crags , and on to Golden Hillock, Moseley Modern then Bordesley Tech. I was familiar with the area up to its demolition.
How can I find the pictures of Kyrwicks Lane, posted by Phil, to which you refer?
Many thanks John.

I think the grey sky in the Google pic makes it look worse. It was obviously a very sunny afternoon in the old pic.

Hello Ray, I'm new to this forum and on a learning curve.
I lived at the corner of Long Steet and Kyrwicks Lane
1950,s to 60,s and went to Christ Church School.
Head master Mr Crags , and on to Golden Hillock, Moseley Modern then Bordesley Tech. I was familiar with the area up to its demolition.
How can I find the pictures of Kyrwicks Lane, posted by Phil, to which you refer?
Many thanks John.

Hello, John, good to hear from you. I lived down Long Street from you in Winterdyne Place which had Mrs Spencer's little shop at its entrance. I too went to Christchurch School in the 50s, where Mr Craggs was headmaster, and then to Golden Hillock Secondary Modern in the 60s. I expect you remember Mr Travers the English teacher and Mr Matthews who taught music, both a bit too handy with the cane! You could try entering Kyrwicks Lane in Search to see if those pictures show up.

Regards, Ray T. (Thompson)

From the appearance of the well worn stone bottom steps there were a great many lodgers. The other two steps, presumably wooden, of both entrances, seem to have been replaced,

Hello, John, good to hear from you. I lived down Long Street from you in Winterdyne Place which had Mrs Spencer's little shop at its entrance. I too went to Christchurch School in the 50s, where Mr Craggs was headmaster, and then to Golden Hillock Secondary Modern in the 60s. I expect you remember Mr Travers the English teacher and Mr Matthews who taught music, both a bit too handy with the cane! You could try entering Kyrwicks Lane in Search to see if those pictures show up.

Regards, Ray T. (Thompson)

Hello Ray,
I remember Mrs. Spencer's shop well, the fly paper hanging from the gas light ! My childhood friend was Alan Nash, he and his family-mom Lilly sister and dad, lived up the "entry." There was a Brew house, and us kids were banned on monday, wash day. Alan and I both went to Christ Church school, but Alan was a year ahead. We used to race around the block, King st. Main st. And the lane, on our three wheelers.I used to fetch a chip supper from Hickys ?
For granddad when he visited on Fridays. He would give me loose change from his pocket. If there was enouph I would buy the Eagle commic from Gascoigne's the news agent in Montpellier St.
It was not all good but the happy memories dominate.
I hated Golden Hillock school, we had tech drawing in the annex,
The sadistic teacher cained the whole class for dirty hands, some introduction ! My oldest friend Kul became head boy he had praise for the school.
Best regards John

Hi John good to know someone else hated Golden Hillock Rd School. Fortunately I passed the exam that led me to Handsworth Tech. from 1952 to 1954.
Whilst that school also had corporal punishment ,as did most in that period, it didn't seem so ingrained and from memory was only practiced by a few sadist degenerates ( may they rot in hell).
Cheers Tim

Much of interest in post 5203. Not only have the buildings gone so has some of the street furniture that was to be seen - and used - if those far off days. The pillar fire alarm and the Ford Popular or Prefect car ( I had a friend who rolled his when hitting a deep, large puddle at only 35 mph.) the always looked top heavy. The Oxford Laundry van looks rather like the Morris Commercial ones supplied to the GPO and Royal Mail.
Incidentally I don't see an Oxford Laundry tread, the only reference to the laundry is by the well remembered Member of BHF, Len Copsey. I wonder what else is known by others?

Apr 12, 2009
My brother did laundry deliveries by hand cart for Mr. Cartwright, Coventry Rd near The Swan island who was an agent for the Oxford Laundry at the Yew Tree, The Malt Shovel pub was one of his customers and my brother would take me with him on a single deck Midland Red bus and we put on board a large parcel of washing and took it off at the Malt Shovel and they would usually give us a drink of pop and 6d, we enjoyed the trip!. Len.

Hello all,
The building nearest on the left, was the last to go,at its
end it looked about to fall down !
Also it's not Ladypool road, it's down the lane.
Peacocks, Woolworths, the wanderfull ice cream shop -- the cinema, the Olimpia ?
They had the kids minors 6d. on Saturday afternoon,
The Alambra - Flash Gordon - in the mornings, clutching "stale" cakes and buns from Hawleys bakery , we never had it so good !

Hello all,
The building nearest on the left, was the last to go,at its
end it looked about to fall down !

Also it's not Ladypool road, it's down the lane.
Hi John, as far as I can see it is the Ladypool Road/Highgate Road junction. Here is the same place today ... traffic lights and lots of trees.
oldmohawk ...:)
Image1.jpg
edited ... changed the pic .... I put the wrong one on ...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
At first I felt a bit sad to see the pictures of the Highgate /Ladypool Road intersection as it was such a big part of my childhood and teenage growth area. Mom had our greengrocer delivered every week by John Mills. The newsagents next door supplied free ice cream for our street party in Tillingham St only to be fined under The Impure Food Act as it was frozen flavored dried potato , but we thought it lovely, and it was the first ice cream we had tasted. A couple of doors beyond was the shop which I think sold radios and bikes but which was a branch of The London School of Motoring and thanks to them and family friends I got my Driving License first shot ( much to my surprise !).
My best mate Jimmy Godsell and his wonderful family lived a couple of doors further along and so it goes on.
Strangely I feel that what has been done is actually an improvement, maybe seen through the wobbly eyes
of an 80 year old, whoops nearly forgot Miss Thompson my optician from the age of three who's practice was 4 or 5 doors up The Lane past the fish and chip shop.
Good night to all, Cheers Tim.

Great memories Tim, I notice with the modern pic in #5208 no one walking, everyone in their cars as I suppose most of us are these days. I presume those boxes on the left will have flowers planted in them and I notice some street furniture on the left to stop lorries cutting the corner.
oldmohawk ...:)

phil i bet the people who owned the shops in the 1910 photo could never have imagined what would be sold in their shops today and barely any change either just one upper bay window removed...my sister would know those shops as she lives cotteridge way

lyn

Love the light fittings outside W. Jennings and the Post Office. Makes me wonder if Stephens and the Post Office were connected. Or at least the two premises may have once been connected. No other shops have them.

And wonder who the child belongs to - the one playing with something (builders material ?) on the ground near the family butchers ?

Maybe that’s Mr Stephens and Mr Dare to the left. Viv.

Back