• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Your first pint/cherryB/gin & it/etc (delete as applicable)

My first drink which I don't remember when I was a toddler, our next door neighbour Harry Blakeman gave me a little glass of his beer and some of his cheese.

hi my first drink was a gin and orange which made me feel sick.on my 16th birthday the elder members of our gang .went to the off license near balsall heath road and bought cherry b.s....i got drunk on them and fell over in the yard and cut my knees and my friend chucked water over me and flattened my beehive hairdo .a sorry sight i looked when they dragged me home and knocked our front door and left me on the step. my dad dragged me in and gave me a good hiding ....i can tell you to this day the mention of a cherry b turns my stomach...

Sandra i'm suprised at you.them hairdos were a work of art weren't they and nobody used hairspray then it was laquer, in the little plastic bottles.wrecked the mirrors and
the varnish on the dressing table, we looked so cool,:)

I think my first drink would've been a Pink Lady in the Broadway pub on Bordesley Green......we'd gone there from school (Saltley Grammar) as the staff went to the Pelham. We'd be about 17 I suppose) Otherwise it was vodka & lime at the Rio near Yardley where we layabouts went on a Sunday evening.:)

Errrm, I think it was like a fizzy sort of babycham type drink. You got a cherry in it so I wasnt going to complain!!lol

oh right a bit like pink champagne only different:beam:

hi,mine was in the college arms back in 1976,its a macdonalds's now, more's the pity.the king charles is the other from my memory,thats gone too!!

I worked in Henry's as a Saturday part timer while still at School. I worked in the China, Glass department as the buyer Les Hodgson (think I spelt his surname right) was a good famil friend. I had to go to men's wear when it was busy on a till.
There was a full time girl who worked there called Lesley/Leslie who I had a big thing about and I used to walk her to the Bus stop....I'm sure her father was a manager at a Wrenson's or a similar type of small supermarket/shop. We went into the King George V for our first drink together, cos it was by her bus stop...I wonder where the bus..and Lesley/Leslie went???

Mine was brandy on my dummy to make me sleep then as a young teenager it was scrumpy cider we got from the 'outdoor' in a Gallon stone jar

Now I only drink for medicinal purposes!!

Although not really my first drink, I remember going to a "grown up party" (no, not that sort!) with my parents to a friends in Lichfield. I took along my best mate who wore his Dad's best raincoat. I think we would have been 15 or 16 at the time. While we had enjoyed the odd pint or two of beer (The Old Crown) and cider (The Greyhound) we weren't used to other drinks. The hostess told Ed and me to help ourselves to anything we wanted from the bar. We soon had finished off the Martini Dry and went on to gin and/or whisky. On the way back to Tamworth my mate was violently sick all over his Dad's mac. My parents were very supportive and didn't complain about the state of the back seat and Mom spent ages sponging the mac down so it could be returned to its owner clean. Still not sure to this day if Ed got a walloping!

Hi All,

Going into a pub and buying a drink for the first time is truly an historical occasiion, However, although I have wracked my brains, I cannot remember my first time It is probably because it was such a long time ago but I do find it annoying. The trouble is that I will not remember my last time either.

Old Boy

Mine was in the NAAFI at RAF Cardington June 1948 during my 12 weeks basic training (I was sick later !!) . It was to celebrate my 18th birthday. Eric

My first halfpint of Mild was in the Barrel pub in Watery Lane Bordesley on my 18th birthday. I was told by some of my family that if you had a whole pint you were seen to be greedy,Although they drank about 10 halfpints anyway. Now i only drink to be sociable, i was so sociable last night i couldnt walk straight. Cheers Formula t.

Babycham in the Miners Welfare club in Tamworth, "supervised" by our local St John adults!!
First on my own drinking in Northampton the Lumbertubs pub - cherry B and cider- that and Pernod and lemonade wre my regular drinks then - I'd be under the table with one of them now lol lol but that was with agroup of trainee nurses, became more sophisticated when I hit Brum for my general training, with Blue Lagoons!!!
Sue

I remember my female cousin ordering a Babycham and me like a p**t ordering the same, I was about 16 then.

The Horseshoes on Stratford Rd, Hall Green in 1971 (aged 15!) - a pint of Ansell's Bitter IIRC. It went something like this:

Me: (nervously approaches bar with £ note clutched in sweaty hand) "Ahem."

Barman: "OK what do yer want, then?"

Me: (in a high pitched voice, no doubt): "A pint of beer, please."

Barman: "Which one?" (with barely concealed "you BF")

Me: "Err - that one - bitter, please."

Barman: "There you go."

Me: "Thanks." (walks off - I'd got away with it!!)

Barman: "OI YOU!!!"

Me: (FX - sixpence/half-a-crown :stressed: !)

Barman: "You've forgot yer change!!!" :D

11p a pint, as I recall.

Then I went and sat in the corner with my mates as we all tried to convince each other that we REALLY, REALLY liked the taste of beer!

Soon got it for real, though! :taste

.....Northampton the Lumbertubs pub - cherry B and cider-

I remember Cherry B and Cider and I think it was nicknamed "The Leg Over"...and no I'm not implying anything at all, it's just what my girlfriend at the time and friends called it :D

my first pint was Ansells mild bought when 15yrs old in the "stonehouse pub" weoley castle, did't I feel grown up, fell quite ill through the night though.
paul

MY Dad always took me to the Lucas legion when i was a lad where i would drink my half of mild shandy,but it was when i was 16 i had my first"Pint" in a pub it was the Shaftmoor in Shaftmoor lane my mate Eric & his brother Jack Davis went into the smoke room we had 3 pints of mild ,i do not remember the next36 hrs as i spent most of that time unconsious or throwing up,happy days

Hi everyone,

My first cherryb ?.. I can still taste it (yuk)

I was 15 years old and I worked for GPO , the telephone exchange I initially worked at was HillStreet but it closed and I was transferred to Sheldon Telephone Exchange (all high tech stuff!)

Christmas Eve arrived and I was working 10am to 6pm .. in lunch hour I was invited (by older telephonists) to go to Wheatsheaf pub. I drank 3 cherry b's , walked back up the Coventry road .. (or should say staggered) to work, I sat back on the switchboards and threw up all over them, I ran to toilets and I was convinced I was vomiting blood... how I ever got away with it is still a mystery , possibly because the GPO in those days felt they had a duty to their under 18's to look after them.

They sent me home in a Taxi (which they paid for!) , Dad couldn't hide his amusement at the fact i was drunk but Mom went crazy "you've lost a job you could have had for life"".. I was on duty the next day (xmas day) and I honestly did not think taxi would arrive for me .. but it did and I worked my 8am to 4pm with the first and worst hangover I ever experienced. The GPO never ever mentioned my drunken state ever again !

From that day on I heave at the very sight of Cherryb !

Hi Diane,
I worked at telephone house newhall st from 1968-1971 then transferred to the Sheldon exchange when it opened. I did know a Diane wondering if you were there in that time frame? Loved my telephonist job , best job I ever had, I left there in december 1975 to have my first child.
Friends I remember, Pat Parrish(Presley), Hetty, Sally Bishop, Dot Robinson,Chris Gardiner, Lyn Kirby. Great memories

My first drink was half a larger and black (yuk) at The Dog on the Hagley Road when I was 16 with a group of my school friends.

We thought we were so sophisticated with our halves and 10 B&H, thing was one of our teachers was in there at the same time, he came over and quietly said, drink up girls and I won't say anything! You have never seen a group of girls finish our drinks and leave the pub. We decided after that it would probably be better to use the Cock & Maggies!!

Probably my first drink in licenced premises was the outdoor in Holte rd witton run by my grandmother. Saturday lunchtimes when I was around 14 I would go for lunch, always beans on toast and pint of Ansells mild. One day she offered me cigarettes, best thing she did for me, I hated them, never tried again.

My first drink was a Babycham in the Mount on Kingstanding Road. My Dad bought it for me, it was in the summer as we'd walked up there and he died when I was 16 so I must have been an underage drinker. Never thought about it before. I didn't drink again for some time as I really preferred the Maraschino cherry to the drink. However, I've just looked up how to spell it and found out how they were made and I'm not going to eat another one, ever!

Hi everyone,

My first cherryb ?.. I can still taste it (yuk)

I was 15 years old and I worked for GPO , the telephone exchange I initially worked at was HillStreet but it closed and I was transferred to Sheldon Telephone Exchange (all high tech stuff!)

Christmas Eve arrived and I was working 10am to 6pm .. in lunch hour I was invited (by older telephonists) to go to Wheatsheaf pub. I drank 3 cherry b's , walked back up the Coventry road .. (or should say staggered) to work, I sat back on the switchboards and threw up all over them, I ran to toilets and I was convinced I was vomiting blood... how I ever got away with it is still a mystery , possibly because the GPO in those days felt they had a duty to their under 18's to look after them.

They sent me home in a Taxi (which they paid for!) , Dad couldn't hide his amusement at the fact i was drunk but Mom went crazy "you've lost a job you could have had for life"".. I was on duty the next day (xmas day) and I honestly did not think taxi would arrive for me .. but it did and I worked my 8am to 4pm with the first and worst hangover I ever experienced. The GPO never ever mentioned my drunken state ever again !

From that day on I heave at the very sight of Cherryb !

Hi Dianne, i worked at the Sheldon Telephone exchange when it first opened early 1970's was that the era you worked there. I think i remember you ? I left in 1975 to have my first child. My maiden name was Hellon. Do you remember Dot Robinson, Hetty, Pat Parrish, Chris Taylor (gardener), Lyn Kirby and Sally that worked on the front desk ??? Happy Days.
Wendy

Back