• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Archaeology : Archaeological Digs - Birmingham 2018-19

horsencart

master brummie
Edit. Please note there are other related threads to this thread which may be of interest:

For Park Street https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/park-street-digbeth.49140/

For Park Street burials
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/park-street-burial-ground.48854/

For Freeman Street
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/freeman-street.49246/

For the Fox & Grapes pub (now demolished)
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/fox-and-grapes-digbeth.25896/page-16

For Curzon Street station yard
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/curzon-street-station-yard.49251/
—————————————————————————————
I suspect that the archaeology ? department in Brum will be busy over the next few months, As I past the former car show room in Digbeth today they were digging deep into the earth with what looked like some one from the archaeology department surveying the situation, add to that the tent that is already in Park St and I would think that there will be some one to review the former pub in Park St, also work will soon start on the former Wholesale Market, (they are removing the asbestos at the moment) this will possibly mean that the walls of the great house will re-appear I wonder if they need a nackered labourer I could watch people work all day,

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the former car showroom mentioned the Hartwell Smithfield one which features the book Birmingham Hidden History?

This thread has been created because of several ongoing or future archaeological digs around the city centre reported by Horsencart (Thank you).

Please add any observations and photographs you may have to this thread. Should one particular site become noteworthy we can create a specific thread for that excavation. Thank you.

Findings/observations specifically relating to the recently demolished Fox & Grapes pub should be posted to that thread - here’s the link https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/fox-and-grapes-digbeth.25896/page-15

Viv.

Renault demolition 30th August 2018 (since all been reduced to rubble - no newer photos). Last I saw from the bus the other day, the ramp hasn't come down yet!

Site of the lodge / gate house at Highgate Park. Quick shot from the no 50 bus heading towards Balsall Heath / Moseley / Kings Heath.

So it looks like Haddon & Stokes was near to the Old Crown from Jim’s photo in post #11. Viv

thanks ell...looks like some pretty old remains have been removed...would have gone up for a look but we would not get near...what i am waiting for is when they start digging up the car park between where the fox and grapes was and moor st station hopefully we will be able to watch and get some piccies...as already mentioned there maybe a viewing platform...fingers crossed

lyn

Why are you thanking me?

Isn't much to see if you walk past on New Canal Street or Park Street. Also all hidden by the giant white tent thing.

Last month.

Don't think much to see from the train in and out of New Street, especially going in or out of the tunnels.

thanks mike..what a fantastic project this is going to be...absolutely fascinating...most know how against HS2 i am but every cloud as they say.....we will now be able to learn more about how people lived and died hundreds of years back and i just hope that the remains of these great brummies are given a proper re burial service (where ever that may be) that they surely deserve

lyn

This would be when they made it into a park

This would be when they made it into a park

Mike between 1971-77 I worked in George St , I regularly walked through St Pauls Sq there were at the time a lot of headstones some of which were of the Betts family . Passing through 1978-79 the headstones of only the Betts family were visible any ideas what could have happened to the rest of the stones and remains ? Not exactly an archaeology question I know

Excellent aeriel view of the wider site in the newspaper link Mike. Must have been taken from Curzon St station building. Like others, I’m very keen to read about findings and what can be learnt from them. The hopes for more insight into the rapid expansion of Brum around the Industrial Rev sounds promising.

As has been said so many times on here now, we need our BHF roving photographers/drone users on the case to keep us in the know. Viv.

In relation to the aeriel view in Mike’s post #2. Could someone please list the roads likely to be linked in the excavations? Then on our relevant threads for those roads it might be worth building up our own history or adding to existing information. I shall add links to those roads on here too (on the first post of this thread, and visa versa on the road threads). Thanks. Viv.

PS I’ve ‘borrowed’ the Guardian photo (Edit. Photo by Metrogogo) and attached it below for ref. Can remove it if there are problems.

Attachments

• 6B091188-C620-42BE-A415-FA6BFCDB8243.jpeg
    6B091188-C620-42BE-A415-FA6BFCDB8243.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Given

“HS2’s archaeology programme also allows archaeologists and historians to reveal the story of the development of Birmingham as an international powerhouse as they explore the remains of the Curzon Street station yard and the Midland Railway Carriage and Wagon Company at Saltley and Washwood Heath”

shall set up separate threads for the station yard and Saltley/Washwood Heath sites too.

Shall change the title of this thread to a more general title.

This is very exciting work. Viv.

Phyllis Nicklin recorded the view across the Curzon St/Park St/Freeman St site in 1966. She took this photo from the Rotunda. Been trying to work out the position of Park Street (marked red) and Freeman Street (marked yellow) and the Fox and Grapes pub (marked blue). Hopefully I’ve got it right but someone correct me if I’m wrong thanks.

Viv.

971343C7-8129-408C-80DC-26B7D321C5DA.jpegA5890D9D-6BB7-4F77-9ADD-5A21E3756459.jpeg

Last edited:
Back