• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

When Women Ran The Railways

Radiorails

master brummie
This looks like a great piece of historical anecdotes. I wonder of Birmingham and the area around it is mentioned? I thought it fitted inn well with the BBC factory programme mentioned in another thread as some of the ladies mention how the preferred the railways to factory work.
It will, I am sure be available from the National Railway Museum but I daresay all the other outlets will have or get it.
https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/16696371.books-when-women-ran-the-railways/

The link goes to a report by a Stephen Lewis on the book "Female Railway Workers in World War II” by Susan Major. It is not clear whether the remark below is his own interpretation or that of the author...

"And just as the relationship between the classes was changed for good, so in a way was the relationship of the sexes."

In the BBC programme “Back in Time for the Factory,” set around 1968 and some 20 years later, it shows that women were still treated as “second class citizens” and that in light of the strike of female workers at the Ford Dagenham Plant the notion of equal pay was pushed.

Of course another 50 years on and we still don’t have equal pay!

One of those 135,000 was a neighbour, Mrs Guest, I think, who in 1945ish was a train guard. Based at Tyseley and was to be seen on N. Warwickshire line.

Not sure where to put this, but it is concerning women and WWII and from the Evening Despatch of October 1942...

63DCF49C-2819-4AEB-B99F-871B0187EFDC.jpeg

Back