• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Coventry road Police station.

My Great Aunt Nellie and My Grandma lived in Elmdon,in one of the houses just past the Cock on the opposite side.The row of houses were compulsory purchased by Birmingham council in the mid 60's and demolished for the runway extension,which wasn't completed for another 45 years ! I wonder if your Mom has any pictures of those houses ?

My Great Aunt Nellie and My Grandma lived in Elmdon,in one of the houses just past the Cock on the opposite side.The row of houses were compulsory purchased by Birmingham council in the mid 60's and demolished for the runway extension,which wasn't completed for another 45 years ! I wonder if your Mom has any pictures of those houses ?
Hi, sorry I don't have any pics of the houses but remember.ber them well, do you remember the last house next to Ann's Pantry? This was where the green grocer lived. He and his wife used to go around Elmdon and I think Bickenhill in a dark blue 3 wheeled lorry and I remember them on a Sunday morning stopping on Coventry Rd and selling veg out of the back. I was only very little and Coventry Rd was still single carriageway ..I remember going to a party at Ann's Pantry in the tea rooms behind the garage. We used to stop at the village shop and post office on our way from school and often spend our penny halfpenny bus fare on sweets then walk home . Happy days

I never knew any of the people living in the other houses,except the family (Mr.& Mrs.Hedge)in the first house at the bottom of the hill,next door to my Great Aunt's...Here's a picture taken in the back garden,with my Grandma on the left,with her sister Nellie...

Attachments

• IMG_20161216_0001.jpg
    IMG_20161216_0001.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 26
A lot of this is familiar, my mom lived opposite Tri-Star 1975-1994 in Greenhill Bungalow off Old Damson Lane. I Remember the Clock Inn & Ann's Pantry and a newsagents but not The Cock Inn, when did that get knocked down? Coming home from Brum by 'bus mom would have to get across the A45 dual carriage way! I see on GoogleMap there is now a pedestrian crossing.

A lot of this is familiar, my mom lived opposite Tri-Star 1975-1994 in Greenhill Bungalow off Old Damson Lane. I Remember the Clock Inn & Ann's Pantry and a newsagents but not The Cock Inn, when did that get knocked down? Coming home from Brum by 'bus mom would have to get across the A45 dual carriage way! I see on GoogleMap there is now a pedestrian crossing.
Hi, I believe the Cock in was demolished in early 1950s, I remember as a very small child my grandad lifting me onto the stone mounting steps outside. We lived in Elmdon Lane, the bit opposite Damson Lane and as kids my cousins and I used to scramble the fence into the overgrown gardens of the Cock inn after it had been knocked down and rubble removed. We even found a gravestone to a dog in there. I have a drinking glass with the Cock in cockerel on which the last landlord gave to my grandad I guess when it closed as a pub . The Cock inn was demolished to make way for the new road which made Coventry Rd a dual carriageway

Hi, I believe the Cock in was demolished in early 1950s, I remember as a very small child my grandad lifting me onto the stone mounting steps outside. We lived in Elmdon Lane, the bit opposite Damson Lane and as kids my cousins and I used to scramble the fence into the overgrown gardens of the Cock inn after it had been knocked down and rubble removed. We even found a gravestone to a dog in there. I have a drinking glass with the Cock in cockerel on which the last landlord gave to my grandad I guess when it closed as a pub . The Cock inn was demolished to make way for the new road which made Coventry Rd a dual carriageway
Here's a pic of the Cock Inn https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/cock-in-coventry-road-elmdon.20019/

Does anyone know of or remember the above station. It was situated on the Coventry rd just past the airport heading out towards Coventry. It's now a hotel i believe it's called The Trident.

Thanks Robert.
In 1971 I lived in Greenway Street in a back to back house & there was another entrance from the Police Station that lead into Greenway Street (few doors up from Coventry Road). I remember well as some tried to chat me up when I went down the street with my 3 kids.

This is a map showing the location of the police station referred to in the original post on this thread. The photo shows what I believe to be the police station itself in the early 60's. It is located in the lower right hand quadrant of the photo close to the edge of the photo.

The third image is of Small Heath police station on the "Cov" by Greenway street as described by Pat in her recent post.

elmdon.JPG

Elmdon Birmingham Airport c1961.jpg
Small Heath Coventry Rd Police Station .jpg

This is a map showing the location of the police station referred to in the original post on this thread. The photo shows what I believe to be the police station itself in the early 60's. It is located in the lower right hand quadrant of the photo close to the edge of the photo.

The third image is of Small Heath police station on the "Cov" by Greenway street as described by Pat in her recent post.

View attachment 126635

View attachment 126636
View attachment 126637

Hi Phil, I was really surprised & chuffed to see the photo of the Police Station, not that I can remember what the building actually looked like, as everything was old in those days. I went over the Greenway Street a few weeks ago & it took me a while to find Greenway Street, which was difficult to find as there's a retail park at where the junction of Greenway St & Coventry Rd used to be, mind I did get some shopping at Morrisons & found the somewhat 'secret' pathway to get to Greenway St after asking for directions.

Pat,

I understand that this is a photo of Greenway Street before it was demolished, I've had a quick look and I cannot see where it has been posted before so I'll assume it hasn't.

Small Heath Greenway St .jpg

And at the bottom of greenway street was a block of masionetts which was for the single moms and tennents
whom was made homeless for none payment and evicted for arrears there was single parents and mature mothers with kids in that block, admittinly this was around the sixtys and the street was half demoed

My husband was one of a fourth generation of his family to live in Greenway St. Him and his family moved out of the maisonetts in 1975 so it could be turned into a mother and baby home. He was actually born at number 75 as was his mum. That would be approximately where the side of Morrison's is. His mum was a Dalley, so were two generation there before her. The first moved there in the 1880's

Thanks for the photo of Greenway Street, I lived two doors up from the man standing by the lampost. I did receive this picture from Pat a few years ago, she also lived in Greenway Street. Where the maisonetts used to be, half way down Greenway Street, was bomb houses when I was a lad, and all the lads in the street cleared all the bricks and rubble after the houses were demolished to make ourselves a football pitch. We used to play against a team from Templefield Street, lead by Freddie Honor.

My Father used to run a tobacconists at 389a in the 1930's, i believe that would be the property at the right hand corner
of your picture.
Sorry its been so long i have more info on william mayfield pc 73 was his no. In 1871 3 hick st aston was the address. He was a policeman for 30 yrs. Died aged 55 please could you help me with any more info
Heather

Back