• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure which way these trams are going but who would have the right of way if they were all converging? We used the 78 when I was little but I know nothing about them and there don't seem to be any traffic lights.
The No 6 is going towards Perry Barr and the No 5 towards Lozells Rd and perhaps the rule for trams was 'give way to a tram on the right' ... but I doubt it. I cycled over the crossing keeping my front wheel out of the tracks, then later rode a motor bike over it and later still a car. We just seemed to slow down and somehow get over the crossing ... there were no rules as far as I can remember ... :)

The No 6 is going towards Perry Barr and the No 5 towards Lozells Rd and perhaps the rule for trams was 'give way to a tram on the right' ... but I doubt it. I cycled over the crossing keeping my front wheel out of the tracks, then later rode a motor bike over it and later still a car. We just seemed to slow down and somehow get over the crossing ... the re were no rules as far as I can remember ... :)
I think the rule for trams was to have the driver at the front...;)
Dave A

In my experience the existence of traffic lights causes more accidents because people try to jump them. When there aren't any at a multi-junction, people seems to approach the junction with much more caution. We have a six way junction built on top of a flyover and without lights. It can get very busy at peak times, but drivers are generally very courteous to each other and I'm not aware of any serious accidents there so far.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,
In the late 1950s as traffic density increased I remember they often had a policeman standing in the middle controlling the traffic as can be seen in many forum pics of other junctions. Perhaps a policeman was given the job of traffic control at Six Ways if he was out of favour with the station sergeant !
Phil

In California at crossroads all vehicles from all directions must stop, they do tend to be mostly courteous but even that can be a problem at times, you get the "You go", "No you go." situation then they both go and …..bump. :)

Phil,

I remember the one at the bottom Hill Street/John Bright Street/Station Approach junction. Whether you got the job because you'd been a bad boy or whether it was a job given to all sprogs, I don't know.

Eric,

True, there is such a thing as being too courteous. We get the same problem at roundabouts because many Greeks don't accept the UK approach that if you're already on a roundabout you have the right of way. Tourists, foreigners, and some Greeks do think the same way as us, but many just charge onto a roundabout and think you should stop to let them on. It's no good trying to follow what police vehicles do, because they don't seem to know either!

Maurice :)

When I took my driving test back in the late 1960s the examiner instructed me to turn left at one point. I knew what was coming as my instructor had warned me about it. We would be crossing an unmarked crossroads. This was in a residential area and both the side roads were cul-de-sacs. That junction is still there unmarked today but no body stops on the through road. Nevertheless the rule still applies. On your driving test, failing to slow there would have been a fail.

Last year I installed a Dashcam in my car and soon realised it was recording my driving as well as others. It showed that I was a bit of an ‘amber gambler’ so I’ve corrected that. It was also recording my loud comments about other drivers so now I whisper them ... :D

Phil,

It depends who's in the car with me as to whether I whisper my comments or not. Dashcam would be a waste of time here as it takes at least four years to get a case into court. Life's too short! :)

Maurice

I'm in the 75% of drivers who are in the group of being above average.
To my surprise I was recently fined $317.00 and incurred 3 demerit points for driving at 53 kph in a 40 kph zone.
As it was during an off peak time and I feel there was either no other traffic or I was going with the general traffic flow I feel that I was unlucky.
My grandson felt that I should have challenged this but as this is my only infringement in 10 years or so I think it may have been a friendly warning from a dearly departed.
Cheers Old Leadfoot.

Surely the no 6 tram is heading towards newtown row and eventually into steelehouse lane, while tram 5 is heading away from lozells road and towards Victoria road. Where was the orient cinema,I used to pass this way every day and I don't recall seeing the Orient

Just looked again at the photo, I think I've got it wrong.Was there a bank opposite the one shown?That would be the one that confused me,so that would be Victoria road straight ahead..?...……………...

Just looked again at the photo, I think I've got it wrong.Was there a bank opposite the one shown?That would be the one that confused me,so that would be Victoria road straight ahead..?...……………...
Yes, that is Victoria Rd straight ahead...and as I pointed out in post#2539, you can see the roof of the Orient Cinema on the upper right, it was located between six ways and Whitehead St / Park Lane....
Dave A

If the lady, busy in the doorway of the National Provincial Bank, had looked across the road she would have seen the doorway of another bank on the corner of Lozells Road and Birchfield Road. I crossed Six Ways several times a week in my younger days (often looking at the clock) and can't remember the name of the other bank !
SixWaysClock.jpg
pic from https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/clocks.45336/#post-552083

Six Ways in 1966, and the National Provincial Bank was still there and looks open for business. All the buildings opposite have gone and some folks in the pic are using the smart pedestrian walk-way.
SixWays1966.jpg

A computer generated aerial view of today's Six Ways. The bank and adjacent buildings have been demolished and replaced by greenery.
Now_SixWays.JPG

OKay, so where do I catch my 5a now? Can any one overlay the now and yesterday maps, because I am lost, presumably that is going down to Newtown, not Summer Lane. It actually looks more LA than Brum
Bob
A view with Alma St marked with a yellow overlay because most of it seems to have been built over. I have not been that way for years so could be wrong. Summer Lane goes off top right towards the compass icon. Witton Road leads in from bottom left and presumably you would have caught a 5A bus there.
I think the lady in the bank doorway in #2537 might have been polishing the brass plate seen behind her ...:)
alma_st_iOS.jpg

A view with Alma St marked with a yellow overlay because most of it seems to have been built over. I have not been that way for years so could be wrong. Summer Lane goes off top right towards the compass icon. Witton Road leads in from bottom left and presumably you would have caught a 5A bus there.
I think the lady in the bank doorway in #2537 might have been polishing the brass plate seen behind her ...:)
View attachment 126431
Thank you
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back