• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Old Church Edgbaston (st Bartholomew)

Nicholas,

I failed to find anything incorporating the keywords "Thomas Jackson" and "Edgbaston" in a newspaper search of the 1840s. If you include "William Thomas Jackson" in the deaths registered at Birmingham in the 1840s there are a total of ten. The problem is that most of those are probably infant deaths and age at death was not recorded in the index until the 1860s. So unless you fancy shelling out a few quid for certifcates or PDFs, we can't be sure. And, of course, the term "the 1840s" is a bit vague.

Maurice :)

Thank you very much for your help and advice with this matter Radiorails and Maurice!! Much appreciated, I assure you!!

Since I posted my note, I've written to the Birmingham Diocese to ask if St Bartholomews had ever been 'reconsecrated' at any point, as I've been informed - by a vicar from another church - that this would have certainly occurred if someone had committed suicide there!? Fingers crossed they will get back to me on the matter, at some point, but I certainly won't be holding my breath!! Chuckle!!

In my own (albeit limited) access to the newspaper archives Maurice, I did discover that a number of suicides from the Edgbaston area were actually committed with straight razors..... a reasonably higher figure, it seems, than any other place (locally, at least) that I've looked at in the same vein!? Not that this could possibly have any bearing on the matter in question, of course, but I did find it rather peculiar that the (most probably fictional) Jackson ended his life in this manner!?

Again Gents. - thank you for your attention in this matter!!

Back