• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rackhams Store

Noting the forthcoming closure of Rackhams it seems that this thread could awaken and some historical facts be posted. There is mention of Rackhams in other threads, mainly streets such as Cannon Street, Cherry Street and Corporation Street but as the store is about to become part of the city's history I am sure it needs its own, more developed, thread.

In their advertising before the new Rackhams was built they made it perfectly clear of their location: "Bull Street, Temple Row, and Arcades" No wonder they needed a new store by the 1960s.

The 'coupon concession' must have brought in welcome WW2 trade (if you could afford to shop there). Viv.

image.jpeg

I understand it's one of the House of Fraser stores that is being closed down - I wonder what will happen to the site?

Maybe it will be split up into smaller retail units?

Just come across this thread. Mum used to work at Rackhams at Christmas during the 60s.
As far as the phrase about the "back of Rackhams" my understanding was that as the night service buses terminated there it was considered a lucrative spot for the "ladies of the night" to ply their trade.
Hence the need to go to the "back of Rackhams" when money was a bit tight.

Mr Ashley said his plan was to turn the 59-store chain in to the "Harrods of the High Street".
Whether that will be so remains to be seen. If it works out that way it will be good news for Birmingham as I believe the city store was on the 'hit list'

I have noted that a London (Oxford Street) store will stay open as will the one in Plymouth. Have not yet seen how the Birmingham one will fare.

Legal & General who own the House of Fraser building in Corporation street have announced plans to turn the building into offices and a hotel. The building is currently on a short term let to Sports Direct who are currently operating the House of Fraser stores. The building was bought by Legal & General in 2014 for £71.4m.

The plans also include shops, restaurants, cafes, leisure facilities, bars, communal space etc.

My days at the back of Rackhams revolved around the young ladies, two to be honest that I was courting in the 60's. In those days a few buses stopped around there , there was a large door maybe more than one where you could do your kissing and canoodling before the buses arrived, after coming out of the West End. I always felt I'd been cheated out of precious canoodling time with the walk from the West End

From the Birmingham Mail archives images.

I remember the lovely window displays
6516FB85-DD6B-4045-A7F8-7A0E6ED38A48.jpeg014E10B3-9F80-4358-B87E-0213F4F857D0.jpeg

And the make-up counters - of course

5117F0FF-EC2C-48A8-8216-87812FFED440.jpeg

Never queued for the January sales but plenty of people did
D2691173-277C-4366-A334-8A789C580251.jpeg

And if you were well heeled it must have been THE place to buy your wedding dress

E2BC7973-167F-432D-91CC-72D2396CE514.jpeg

Viv

Back