• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1940 or 50s

Maris

master brummie
1940 or 50s Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes photo

Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes photo 1940s or 50s.
My Grandparents Cissie and Ernest Harris at the back in the far corner.
Maybe someone knows more about the Buffaloes ?
Higher res copy here

Last edited:
Hi

Any idea where the photo was taken and I may be able to identify the Lodge?

Barry

Hello Bro Barry nice to see you back.

I'd say 1960s MARIS

Oh Maris, my heart skipped a beat when I saw your post. My father was in the R A O B in Birmingham. I know that in 1944 he was in Lodge 4043, Bournbrook. I don't know if that lodge still exists. I have peered at your photo, with racing pulse, but don't think he is in it - that would have been too much to hope for I know.

I do hope you are able to find the information you are looking for - the best of luck.

Hello. I am new to this site & looking up Aston Buffaloes have come across this link. I have old black & white photos of my Grandad born 1866, who was a member of the Buffaloes, Aston (looks like it was taken around the early 1900's) I think as that where his family lived. He & the other members are wearing their decorated sashes (don't know what to call them). Wish you photo was on here.

HI PAT
The Buffoloes you mentioned are not part of the druids they are a complete order altogether
the druids was free masons society and they finished before 1940 the buffs was still going thou
I have it first hand information from a well known member of the family whom is in oxford and whom told me years ago
that our great grand fathers before us and our grand father and infact my father was a member of the society
and was grand masters of the society of the aston branch
and my relative whom i will not mention is a govement officier up in oxford and a high flyer told me this information
over the phone when i spoke to him at the time that he wanted to join but by the time he was of age the society had closed down
but he as full filled every think else our fore fathers have done and became some one
he was educated at the birmingham grammer school born in aston just like al of us my grand parents and my mother and my emediate famiy
of brothers and sisters all from aston born and bred from generations
my youngest sister holds all the medals and papers from this society of the driuds my father had he died in 1958 ;
and the only way he got elected and eccepted was he maried into the family other wise i do not think he would have been elected
best wishes Astonian;;

Thank you for your reply Astonian. I only learned about the Buffs from memory as a child as I love looking at old photos & my mom always told me it was her dad in these photos & because I am researching my family history, which leads to an interest in Birmingham History & history at the time of my ancestors as I have been able to go back to 1750's. I have looked online & am new to here, to find out the location of where the photos were taken. Best wishes to you too - Brummie Pat - I am told I have a strong Brummie accent still.

Hello. I am new to this site & looking up Aston Buffaloes have come across this link. I have old black & white photos of my Grandad born 1866, who was a member of the Buffaloes, Aston (looks like it was taken around the early 1900's) I think as that where his family lived. He & the other members are wearing their decorated sashes (don't know what to call them). Wish you photo was on here.
Hi, it's been some time since this post, but I am also looking for info on Aston members os RAOB

Hi, it's been some time since this post, but I am also looking for info on Aston members os RAOB
My late Uncle was a member of the RAOB being inducted into the order on the 15/12/1957 and the inducted to the degree of Primo on the 26/07/1959. His Lodge was "Peacock" No 4158. No idea where that would have been but possibly somewhere around Tyseley as he worked at Tyseley railway sheds.

Attachments

• DSC00772.JPG
    DSC00772.JPG
    608.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00774.JPG
    DSC00774.JPG
    975 KB · Views: 14
Reddi

Do you know where he lived, because it's a long time ago now but I'm almost sure that the Peacock Lodge shared the same lodge room as our Lodge but theirs was a Sunday Morning Lodge where ours was a Thursday night one. This was in the late 60's and early 70's at the Talbot on the junction of Highgate Road and Larches Street. If it wasn't the Talbot then it was somewhere close by because the name of the Lodge jumps to memory. If you need confirmation I would try the Provincial Grand Lodge, I'm sure it would be a simple matter to find it's present location.

Phil, thanks for the information I will do as you suggest and try the PGL. My Uncle lived in Bolton Road which is not to far away from Highgate Road so there is the possibility that he did attend that particular location. If I find anything out I will let you know.

My late Uncle was a member of the RAOB being inducted into the order on the 15/12/1957 and the inducted to the degree of Primo on the 26/07/1959. His Lodge was "Peacock" No 4158. No idea where that would have been but possibly somewhere around Tyseley as he worked at Tyseley railway sheds.
My Grandad lived in Pugh Road Aston, my dad often said he was in the BUFFS,

Back