• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Barr canal tip

janeld

master brummie
My great grandfather we belive owned Perry barr canal tip and had a canal dredging company ,His name was Arthur Pagett, in later years he owned Perry Garage on the same site.
I would love to hear anything about him and his business if any canal peeps can remember him being there,

My great grandfather we belive owned Perry barr canal tip and had a canal dredging company ,His name was Arthur Pagett, in later years he owned Perry Garage on the same site.
I would love to hear anything about him and his business if any canal peeps can remember him being there,
This post is such a long time ago, but I have only just come across it.
Yes, I remember Mr Padgett, as a child. His garage was opposite where my nan and grandad lived in a cottage on the canal side, lock 10. Paggetts garage faced the College road, with the canal to the side. I think he used to have a drink with my grandad at the Boars Head Pub. There is a picture on a history site of the entrance to the garage. My grandparents cottage was knocked down in the 1960s. A sad day, they had lived there for 40 years. So all I can confirm is he did have a garage. I have a photo of my grandad on a dredger boat at lock 10 with another person but I do not know who it is. My grandad was the lock keeper. It’s a pity my mom no longer here as she knew Mr Padgett well, she had lived there from 1928 until she married and moved in 1947. If you happen to see this post, I can upload the two pictures. Cheers

An aerial view dated 1947 shows the College Rd running from left by the Boars Head (partially visible) onwards to the junction with Kingstanding Rd. The Tame Valley canal runs from top left towards bottom right. The canal bridge is near the centre of the view and the garage is immediately left of the canal. The large ash tip in the foreground.
CollegeRdCanalBridge1947.jpg click to enlarge and scroll
image from 'britainfromabove' website

The same area today. The Boars Head on the left but the canal bridge is hidden by trees. The Kingstanding Rd on the right was changed to dual carriageway in the 1960s and the small bungalows on the College Rd, which backed on to the ash tip in 1947, now back on to an industrial area with the M6 motorway nearby.
College_Rd_Today_iOS.jpg
image from Apple.

I am puzzled about the newer photo. When was it taken? Not one car on the M6 - almost unheard of, unless of course it is before it opened. :D

Most Apple and Google 3D aerial views are mainly computer generated from building positions on the map so do not show traffic. Zoom in on the actual program and it shows. Also most trees are standard 'trees' positioned in the place were trees are on the map. I usually find Apple's trees look better than Google's …. :)

To me the 3D images don't look real - Well I suppose they aren't. I notice the cars show in the car parks

To allow computers to generate 3D views, objects have to be photographed from two of more positions and by the time the camera gets to the second positon the moving objects have gone. I notice that Google's view of the same area shows faint ghostly shapes of vehicles on the northbound side of the motorway because of very slow moving traffic.

With regard to the ash tip, there were several in the area being somewhat dangerous play-areas for us local kids ... we often heard 'don't play on the tip' as we went out to play.
Before the 1950s/1960s, 'dustbins' were usually full of ash from open fires and it was taken away and dumped on tips.

Perhaps we need a thread about how Birmingham 'managed' it's waste over the years ... :)

I remember in the early 1970s spending many happy hours searching for bottles in the tip at Tividale

Most Apple and Google 3D aerial views are mainly computer generated from building positions on the map so do not show traffic. Zoom in on the actual program and it shows. Also most trees are standard 'trees' positioned in the place were trees are on the map. I usually find Apple's trees look better than Google's …. :)

I’ve been looking for years for my grandads cottage on a map, and I can see it on this map! Wow, and the large bill board in the Garden. It’s just up from the Boards Head, the Garden ran to the end bungalow. How lovely to see it. Here is the only picture I have of it. Pagetts garage was to the left of the cottage, up the canal ramp and opposite.

Attachments

• A645DF73-E37F-4451-84AC-5F466AA6CC30.png
    A645DF73-E37F-4451-84AC-5F466AA6CC30.png
    357 KB · Views: 52
I’ve been looking for years for my grandads cottage on a map, and I can see it on this map! Wow, and the large bill board in the Garden. It’s just up from the Boards Head, the Garden ran to the end bungalow. How lovely to see it. Here is the only picture I have of it. Pagetts garage was to the left of the cottage, up the canal ramp and opposite.
Thanks, hope the other person finds this post.

Here are a couple of photos taken from the forecourt of the garage being discussed, they were taken in 1931 and I can only assume that the garage forecourt was being utilised as the run up to a temporary bridge whilst the old one over the canal was being replaced and these are a sort of before and after record.

Perry Barr College Road 1931.JPG

Perry Barr College Rd 1931 .jpg

Red is my grandads cottage, yellow Pagetts garage.
Here is a different aerial view dated 1950. The petrol pumps at the garage can just about be seen. I remember buying petrol from the garage.
Garage1950.JPG
image from 'britainfromabove'

Hi Jel. I expect my dad and gran knew your grandad as they lived in one of the bungalows opposite the Boars Head in the 1920s. My grandad was a keen motor bike rider (and later my dad) so doubtless he knew your grandad. Viv.

Hi Jel. I expect my dad and gran knew your grandad as they lived in one of the bungalows opposite the Boars Head in the 1920s. My grandad was a keen motor bike rider (and later my dad) so doubtless he knew your grandad. Viv.

Yes, I’m sure they did, especially if they went in the Boars Head. They used to go there every night for the last half hour and for one drink. They did know quite a few people in the bungalows but I cannot remember any names now. The only people I can remember are the ‘parkers’ or ‘parks’ who lived just up from the Boars Head on the Aldridge Road side. They had seven children. All very good looking! Mom used to say she helped take them down into the Anderson shelter that my grandad built just by the canal side. Happy days.

Hi Jel. I know for certain my gran went in the Boars Head. Also the Church Tavern was a favourite. It would have been a sad time for the family while they were at the bungalow (number 23) as my grandad died in 1929 - only aged 31. A month later their second daughter was born (another daughter born a few years before had died aged only 2). So a very difficult time for my gran.

Just before Perry Hall was demolished my gran and grandad bought items from the Hall and sold them on to Christies, auctioneers. They were quite enterprising !

My dad would have been very familiar with the fields and canal near the bungalows. Sadly he was only 11 when his dad died. I have a photo of him outside the bungalow somewhere. Shall dig it out. It has ornate rustic wooden fences and arches in the front garden. All very typical of the 1920s/30s.

Viv.

Hi Jel. I know for certain my gran went in the Boars Head. Also the Church Tavern was a favourite. It would have been a sad time for the family while they were at the bungalow (number 23) as my grandad died in 1929 - only aged 31. A month later their second daughter was born (another daughter born a few years before had died aged only 2). So a very difficult time for my gran.

Just before Perry Hall was demolished my gran and grandad bought items from the Hall and sold them on to Christies, auctioneers. They were quite enterprising !

My dad would have been very familiar with the fields and canal near the bungalows. Sadly he was only 11 when his dad died. I have a photo of him outside the bungalow somewhere. Shall dig it out. It has ornate rustic wooden fences and arches in the front garden. All very typical of the 1920s/30s.

Viv.
Hi Viv, yes a picture would be nice. My mom said there were so few homes when she moved to the canal cottage in 1928, that they knew everyone around, from the meeting place The Boars Head of course.

Hi Viv, yes a picture would be nice. My mom said there were so few homes when she moved to the canal cottage in 1928, that they knew everyone around, from the meeting place The Boars Head of course.
Viv, what was their names?

Hi Jel. Ridgway - Hilda and Harold. Harold was from Brazil. Think Hilda was there until the mid-1930s then she moved to a house in Blakeland Road. Viv.

The sad incident Oldmohawk refers to in post #7 was reported in the papers in September 1944 see below. Such a terribly tragic accident.

I hadn't realised that the container base was later on the site of the old ash tip. I remember how well lit up the container base was at night with lots of orange lights. You could see the containers stacked when travelling on the top deck of the bus along Aldridge Road. Another press report attached below. Viv

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 20
The sad incident Oldmohawk refers to in post #7 was reported in the papers in September 1944 see below. Such a terribly tragic accident.

I hadn't realised that the container base was later on the site of the old ash tip. I remember how well lit up the container base was at night with lots of orange lights. You could see the containers stacked when travelling on the top deck of the bus along Aldridge Road. Another press report attached below. Viv
Wow interesting post

Lovely Viv, my mom would have been 15 at this time, 1934. So he was probably a bit young to catch my moms eye at this time. Lol. Love the pic.
Viv, my grandads cottage was 83, College Road, lock house, so they must have been on the same side of the road I should think, but I’ve never been able to trace it in any census records. I think before the British waterways purchased it, it may have been an old farm building. It was actually two joined cottages, and the neighbours, were Mr Norris and his wife. He also worked for British waterways. Your bungalow must be still standing ?

Yes Jel it seems to still be there as far as I can tell from Streetview. I think it's near the motorway bridge end of College Road. The rustic decor has gone though ! Viv.

Hi the picture at the top, top left of picture waste ground and sheds is blakeland farm if you could zoom in to the trees you would see the farm house, the second house down from their across bridge down towards boars head lived parks then stone then roberts we lived at blakeland farm after that picture was taken. I delivered newspapers all round their,their also was two canal cottages on side of canal just before you come up on to collage road.Mom also worked at boars head.martin

Hi just noticed picture of house that is how i remember it the first shop down towards boars head was ken viney.If you are still on this site you should find information on electrol roll it come under litchfield. that area was in handsworth under staffordshire.martin

Back