• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fever hospitals in Birmingham 1930's

hi carolina and anvil man
yes you are quite correct both of you it became the east birmingham hospital years later and even today thous building within the grpound are still operational
for special decead cases of the most kind you could ever imagine of todays case of
decead you name you will be sent there it over the back ground of the hospital
away from the main wards best wishes Astonian;;

I remember one of the neighbour's son going to a sanitorium because he had TB and was away for some time up in The Lickeys as I can recall visiting him. I presume it was Blackwell.

Blackwell sanitorium early 1900s.jpg

My Aunt had diptheria as a smaall child in the late thirties, early forties and spent months in Little Bromwich Hospital. I know she had no visitors at all. How times change. Anne
My brother had Diptheria at the age of five in 1933 and was admitted to Little Bromwich Hospital but unfortunately he died , I was about three at the time and just about remember him. It was quite a while before I was told what had happened to him.Sad days for my parents.

Regards Reg

In 1938, the City of Birmingham Infectious Diseases Hospital at Yardley Green Road, Little Bromwich, had 592 beds and was being enlarged to accommodate 748 patients. These included cases of scarlet fever and diphtheria, together with selected cases of measles, whooping cough and other diseases. A hospital at Witton, capable of holding 60 beds, was reserved for the treatment of smallpox cases, should any occur. For the disinfection of clothing and bedding which might carry infection there was a disinfecting station at Bacchus Road, Winson Green, where articles were disinfected by exposure to super-heated steam. A plant was also provided there for the disinfection by hydrocyanic gas of household furniture and belongings. Exterior and interior views of the new (1938) cubicle block at Little Bromwich Isolation Hospital are shown. Dave.
P1020505 (2).jpgP1020504 (2).JPG

fever hospital lodge road winson green...this little bit of the area was not what you would call a happy place as we had winson green prison.the lunatic asylum and the fever hospital all next to each other as you will see on the map below..if you move the blue dot (bottom left of the page) back and forth the map will fade to show you what is there now.you can travel all over birmingham useing this useful map site..click on link below

lyn

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.4933&lon=-1.9355&layers=6&b=3

They were still admitting patients with infectious diseases at Little Bromwich, now Heartlands, in the early 1980's. My son was in there - he had to go into Good Hope and caught measles while in there. Very poorly. The staff were really good though.

Back