• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hospital Street

thanks for the photo currerbell..i think ive got one somewhere it may already on this thread will check

lyn

I imagine there already is! I got the photo pretty easily from Google...

Impressive building...must have been amazing to see, though not to be a patient!

Im not sure where to introduce myself on here, I live in Leeds but was born in Wolverhampton, my mother is from Solihull and her parents from Birmingham, their ancestors are all from the Birmingham area hence my interest in this forum and the city's history. Ive been researching my ancestry for a long time and love to learn about what life was like for them...

Im not sure where to introduce myself on here, I live in Leeds but was born in Wolverhampton, my mother is from Solihull and her parents from Birmingham, their ancestors are all from the Birmingham area hence my interest in this forum and the city's history. Ive been researching my ancestry for a long time and love to learn about what life was like for them...

well this forum is a great place to find out about birmingham currerbell...been researching my family history for 10 years now and find it fascinating...enjoy the forum

lyn

should keep you busy for ages ...this forum holds a wealth of information on birmingham...any problems just ask for help:)

lyn

Lyn
The map below of c 1810 shows the beginnings of hospital st, when it was just a very short side street almost opposite the ba hospital. I think that shows that the hospital must be the Old General hospital . The c1828 Pigoot Smith map shows Hospital St up to Toer St, with just a very narrow, unnamed , path where the northern part was, When this was widened and developed they must have first named at as upper hospital /St
map c 1810 showing the beginnings of hospital st.jpg

Going to copy your map to the St Chads thread Mike, if that's ok, as it shows 'Roman Chapel' - must be the former place of worship to Pugin's 1841 Cathedral. Viv.

good spot there viv and yes of course you are right the roman chapel must have been there before pugins cathederal

lyn

I think it may have been 2/ 68 Hospital Street now...not 286. Looking closer at the 1911 census there is an ink stroke between 2 and 6.

good spot there viv and yes of course you are right the roman chapel must have been there before pugins cathederal

lyn
St. Chads Cathedral was built between 1839 and 1841 replacing an earlier chapel built in 1808. The chapel was described as Georgian Classical and built by William Hollins. Hollins apparently born in Shropshire but grew up in Birmingham. Quite a few places and objects are attributed to him. Curiously the link does not mention this chapel but maybe because it was one of his early works.
https://www.speel.me.uk/sculpt/hollinswm.htm

I will be visiting Birmingham next month for pleasure and to research where my ancestors lived. Other than the library and St. Phillip's, is there any place I should go when researching my family? Surnames were: Owen, Elliman, and Warren. My 5th great-grandfather was a blacksmith and frying pan maker back in 1820-1840's. Most were involved with St. Phillips and St. Mary's. In 1841 George Owen and his sons lived in the Duddeston and Nechells area. I would be grateful for any advice!

Thank you,
Jessica

Do you have any addresses for Duddeston & Nechells as there are parts of it left although not much of it.

Do you have any addresses for Duddeston & Nechells as there are parts of it left although not much of it.
1807 George and Eleanor (Warren) both were of St. Mary's Handworth parish
1816 they lived in Brown's Court on Park Street
1841 George Owen lived on Dartmouth Street.
1841 James Owen (4th GGG) lived on Upper Hospital Street in the St. George Parish area

we have a very long thread for hospital st with quite a few photos...the street still exists athough not the original housing

lyn

Upper hospital Street was later combined with Hospital Street to make one street. It was that part of the street north of Tower Street, though I don't think at that time there were any buildings on it north of New John St West.

Back