• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

W T Avery scales

W & T Avery Birmingham scales seen at the Melin Llynnon windmill on the Isle of Anglesey in Wales.

Ever since I took it 10 days ago I wasn't able to read the top line! It's so faint.

No problem Lyn.

So much history on Anglesey.

Even found out that Penmon stone was used to build the Birmingham Town Hall!

ell i think i read some time ago that the town hall was built from welsh stone...did not know it was from penmon stone though..must have taken some shifting from wales to brum back then

lyn

Just adding to the Avery Scales thread.
I have this 1906 Avery catalogue which says the company was established in 1730.
The scales made in 1906 ranged from a laboratory fine balance which could measure from 1/50th grain up to 2 ounces, and railway locomotive tables which could weigh up to 200 tons.
Boomy

Attachments

• avery.jpg
    avery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
I still need to sort out my books after a house move two years ago but at least I now have them on shelves instead of boxes in a spare bedroom. I know that somewhere I have a book which was owned by one of my great grandfathers who worked at Avery's. It must have been written for the 200th anniversary of the company in 1930. Must try to find it.

I still need to sort out my books after a house move two years ago but at least I now have them on shelves instead of boxes in a spare bedroom. I know that somewhere I have a book which was owned by one of my great grandfathers who worked at Avery's. It must have been written for the 200th anniversary of the company in 1930. Must try to find it.

yes david you must as it could be a very good read...well done for getting your books out of boxes at last:D

lyn

Just adding to the Avery Scales thread.
I have this 1906 Avery catalogue which says the company was established in 1730.
The scales made in 1906 ranged from a laboratory fine balance which could measure from 1/50th grain up to 2 ounces, and railway locomotive tables which could weigh up to 200 tons.
Boomy

Hi there, I was just wondering if the catalogue you reference above would have any details of the 1900's type Avery grain scales- refer to attached pictures. I'm working with a local authority in Waterford, Ireland and we are currently demolishing an old grain store building which housed the attached. We have removed the scales and the intention is to refurbish it and put it on display in a public building. Ideally if you could guide me to where I might be able to get a copy of the catalogue that would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    208.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi there, I was just wondering if the catalogue you reference above would have any details of the 1900's type Avery grain scales- refer to attached pictures. I'm working with a local authority in Waterford, Ireland and we are currently demolishing an old grain store building which housed the attached. We have removed the scales and the intention is to refurbish it and put it on display in a public building. Ideally if you could guide me to where I might be able to get a copy of the catalogue that would be great.
Unfortunately, my Avery Scales catalogue only covers engineering scales and there is no mention of grain scales.
Should imagine these catalogues are quite rare and can only suggest that you try eBay or abebooks, the latter lists old books currently available all over the world.
Boomy

Hi Paul my uncle bill smart and myself worked in the Avery scales foundry lane for years we both worked in the elecrtro plating department and also i used to paint some of them scales and the jockey scales it was a great company to work for it was my uncle bill got me the job there way back in the seventys

Spotted this set of Avery grocery scales in my local deli. They’re lovely. Apparently they’re late 19th century, butchers' / grocers' shop counter scales with a ceramic slab, a cast brass plate for the weights on a marble topped oak main body. The oak body has transfer decoration detailing "W & T Avery Ltd" and "The Imperium Scale". Base is 20.5" by 10.5". They can sell for around £350.

Can’t say I ever remember seeing a set of these in our grocery shops in the past. They’d be the sort of equipment you’d just have to put on view. No doubt they were a pricey item when originally made. Viv

19C7D1A8-689D-4A64-9196-2225B73A0EFF.jpeg1C76C63D-47B9-40CA-BB4E-BF6F3BA6A760.jpeg

My pop worked there in his youth (89 years old now). so me mum owned a grocery store and my pop repaired the scales when they went wrong we had the calibration weights. back in 85 we were on the Queen Mary in Long Beach and they had a set of stand on scales that did not work and my pop offered to repair them the guy thought my pop was joking

Last edited:
Avery's

A couple of years ago a friend and I were lucky enough to be shown around Avery's Musem by the then Curator. We wrongly thought we would see some scales and be out in Half an hour. Thankfully we were wrong, we spent a fasinating morning learning the history of weights and scales told to us by a gentleman whose enthusiasm was great to see, Knowing my interest in the R.A.M.C he showed me a scale on which the wounded soldiers were weighed in a military hospital during the First World War. It was a teriffic morning. It is a pity there are not more museums like that, keeping the past for future generations.
Maggie
Is the museum still open?

Started at Averys 1975 (apprenticeship) worked there until 1985. Great apprenticeship may be you were in the plating shop then Astonian ? we did a week in there. I always remember the bloke in there working really hard. My grandad, dad, mum and brother worked there too. Great days :)

Welcome back Stephen. Sadly Astonian passed away a little while ago.

You make an interesting point about how several members of the same family might work at the same company. Unlike today, families often lived closer together, so were more likely to work for the same local large employer.

Viv.

Back