• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Statue Protection And Preservation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in the North West for the Bank Holiday weekend, then in North Wales for a week. So only saw the Queen Victoria statue today revealed after her deep clean!

Last week I got to see statues such as the Marquess of Anglesey!

Saw the statue of Thomas Attwood by Peter Hollins at the Museum Collections Centre during the Open Day last Sunday. I was the first one to recognise what it was! Was removed from a park in Sparkbrook in 2008.

Here's the plinth seen in 2012 (I did not look at it again, but saw it from a distance last Sunday).

Saw the statue in an open looking crate before I headed into the Warehouse.

No restoration in 10 years!

Arm still missing and still with graffiti!

Was hoping to see the statues that went into storage in the last few years, but I couldn't find them here.

I also found a maquette of the destroyed by arson Forward statue by Raymond Mason in the Smaller Objects Store. Wasn't expecting to see this!

There is also a maquette of Laurence Broderick's The Guardian (Bullring Bull) in the Extension (vintage cars area).

I was hoping to see the statues that recently went into storage (I didn't) but saw this Maquette of Iron Man by Antony Gormley in the Warehouse.

Attwood’s in a sorry state. But at least we know where he is. Thanks for the update Ell. Viv.

No problem Viv! George Dawson is still there where he was last time with the vintage cars. Didn't take new photos of him as already had photos of him from 2012.

Below is a view of Nelson's statue taken from an 1808 Birmingham guide for sale on ebay. Guide looks interesting, but they are asking £125 !!
nelsons statue from 1808 guide.jpg

The Thread mentions statue protection and preservation. In the light of the statue of Edward Colston being removed in Bristol, do any need protection in Birmingham ?

Statues and street names in London with links to slavery "should be taken down", the city's mayor has said.

Please will members keep their comments to recommendations for protection and not use this thread for political commentary. Any comments of that nature will be immediately removed.

Thanks all for your co-operation. Viv.

This thread is now temporarily closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back