• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Police Service Records, Especially Police Specials: 2018 Update.

Brummie On Exmoor

master brummie
My maternal Grandfather William John MOUGHTON (11 2 1883-6 5 1948), who ran an Educational Publishers on Ludgate Hill, Birmingham, as 'his day job', served in Birmingham Special Constabulary in WW1. My cousin has his Birmingham Corporation Water Works Guard Duty Medal, and also his Long Service Medal. Some years ago, I suspect on the eve of his retirement, I did speak to Dave Cross (mentioned in previous discussions about Police Service Records), but found out nothing. I had little information about my Grandfather's service then and did not know about the medals.

Given that he received a Long Service Medal, it does appear that my Grandfather served in the Specials for a reasonable period, and I would like to try and pursue the subject again. I have looked at discussions on this Forum about the new Policing Museum in Birmingham. Does anyone know whether someone has now got a grip of any historical records that may exist, or whether they have been transferred to the Library, or elsewhere?

Similarly, I discovered, to my complete and total surprise, that my maternal Uncle, William Edward MOUGHTON (14 5 1913-23 8 2006), was a Special in the Warwickshire Police, in September 1939. He later went into the Royal Air Force, so presumably this was only a brief service, but it is noted on his entry on the 1939 Register. Warwickshire Police seem even less helpful than West Midlands Police on the subject. Does anyone have any ideas about where or how I might pursue this?

Regards,

Jane J

Jane
I am part of the project that is looking to move the museum from Sparkhill Police station to a new home. There are many new volunteers and have been for some time now and have to say that we have been able to deal promptly with the enquiries when we have the records. I think the issue here is that we hold the vast majority of records for regular officers but have extremely little for the Special Constabulary. From what you have said I would suggest that Dave Cross would not have been able to give you any additional information as we simply do not have the service record although I am happy to double check this. Like wise whilst we have the majority of Birmingham City police records we have very little for Dudley, Wolverhampton, Walsall or Coventry as it would appear their records haven't survived or are held elsewhere currently unknown to us.
Steve R

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, I do understand that the records of regular officers have survived far better than those of Specials. And Dave Cross did helpfully refer me to an article he had written on the Specials. I would be most grateful if you could take another look for me, for any trace of my Grandfather. Also, even if there is nothing specific, please are you able to comment on the length of service that would have been
required to be awarded a Long Service Medal? I attach images of the medal.

Regards,

Jane

Bhm Specials Long Service Medal..png

Bhm Specials Long Service Medal: reverse..png

Thanks Alan, that is really useful. The information provided about the service required before a medal was awarded does tend to support my suspicion, that my Grandfather must have put in several years of service in Birmingham City Police.

Regards,

Jane

Last edited:
Jane
leave it with me and I will have another look. We are adding to the files all of the time.
Steve R

I'm helping out as a part time researcher for our local history society. Their chairman has been asked if he can find anything out about Arthur William Hill who was "the smallest / shortest man in the Birmingham police specials" by his relatives. they have an old article from the Birmingham Mail with a photograph but they are looking for more. Can you either post more here, or put up a contact address, or send me a message with contact details. I will pass anything you provide on through the chairman.

Back