• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Castle Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This photo from the Shoothill site is labelled "Castle Street from Moor Street, Birmingham". Would I be right in thinking this street no longer exists? Does it appear on any maps? And would there once have been a castle on this site? Or was it a reference to the moated manor house (Bull Ring area) or simply a pub/inn/tavern named 'castle' ? Viv.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
There's a second photo on the Shoothill site mentioning Castke Street. This time it shows an image is labelled as " Shops and premises at the corner of Moor Street and Castle Street, Birmingham".Viv

According to Carl Chinn 'Castle Street, running parallel with Carrs Lane, ran from High Street to Moor Street and emerged from the coach yard of the Castle Inn. It disappeared during the post Second World War redevelopment'.

He then goes on to say that a blocked off alley next to Littlewoods indicates where it ran. I don't remember Littlewoods being there though. Any thoughts?

I think it was the CO-OP. At the back of my mind part of the CO-OP address was castle street at one time.

Picked out a book from my bookcase last night completely at random and there was a picture of the Castle Hotel. The book is Maps & Sketches from Georgian & Early Victorian Birmingham by Paul Leslie Line and Adrian Baggett. Really good book.

Attachments

• WP_20180315_14_26_57_Pro (2).jpg
    WP_20180315_14_26_57_Pro (2).jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 74
Looking at the picture and Carl Chinn's write-up on Castle Street, the entrance to the coach yard as shown is where the stub of Castle Street remains today. LH side M & S, RH side Gregg's.
I sometimes wonder what customers of these places (such as the Castle Hotel) would make of things if they were transported here in 2018.

I think that every time I whizz round Spaghetti! Dad would be amazed.

Castle Street along with Scotland passage both ran from High Street to Moor Street and have been mentioned previously on the site. I know I have posted images of both before. This I'm sure must have been one of them (Castle Street).

City Castle Street.JPG City High St Plan.JPG

Lady P, I don't know when the Castle Inn made way for the Metropole Hotel but the Co-op purchased the property on the High Street in 1913 but were unable to open until 1916 because of the WW1. When in 1927 the Metropole Hotel became available they purchased it and used it as it was until eventually they built a new extension.

City High Street Metropole Hotel Co -op extension.jpg

According to Carl Chinn 'Castle Street, running parallel with Carrs Lane, ran from High Street to Moor Street and emerged from the coach yard of the Castle Inn. It disappeared during the post Second World War redevelopment'.

He then goes on to say that a blocked off alley next to Littlewoods indicates where it ran. I don't remember Littlewoods being there though. Any thoughts?

Picked out a book from my bookcase last night completely at random and there was a picture of the Castle Hotel. The book is Maps & Sketches from Georgian & Early Victorian Birmingham by Paul Leslie Line and Adrian Baggett. Really good book.
Hi Lady Penelope (and everyone else!) - I'm a newbie (and not a Brummie although my husband lived in Brum as a teenager). Would you mind if I used your image of the Castle Hotel on a blog post I am writing about exactly where Mary Ashford stood when she went to the High Street market the day before she died? You will probably not need reminding that Mary was murdered near Erdington in 1817, an infamous case that led to a change in the law but was never properly resolved. Separately I can tell you more about my project but don't want to use this forum for marketing.

Hi Naomi,
Welcome to the forum and to being an honorary Brummie! As my post says, I got the image out of a fairly recent book and I'm not sure what the rules are - probably shouldn't have put it on here really.
I'm wondering if it was actually Birmingham market that she went to I'm not too well up on the Mary Ashford case? Could it have been one at Sutton Coldfield? I'll try to find out for you tomorrow when I go to the library. Was this Whitsun weekend?

Hannah Cox's evidence in the trial was that Mary went to the market in Birmingham

Thanks Mike, it dawned on me that Naomi must know what she's talking about! I think I was thinking about how long it would take me to get to the market but then she would have been a lot younger and fitter than me. I've been reading about the young man that found Mary and he walked from Curzon Street to Penns Mill every day.
Perhaps you can answer the query about the image for me please? Are we OK to post images if we credit them?

Thanks for your answers Lady P and MikeJee. I am keen to stay on the right side of copyright law so perhaps I am best off not using your image on my blog. Yes, Lady P, I do agree that it was a long way to walk, especially as she was carrying butter and eggs to sell at the market, but I do think people were made of sterner stuff back then. She got back to Erdington, changed and went to a party, was making her way home in the small hours and unfortunately met her death soon afterwards. I've written the post now if you are interested but am reluctant to post the link in case I break forum rules about advertising.

hi naomi i am going to stick my neck out and say please post the link to your blog...this is a history forum..the mary ashford story is brum history so i dont see why it would be classed as advertising in this instance..

all the best

lyn

Yes I agree Lyn.
LadyPen. I think it is generally accepted that, provided the photos are attributed and we offer to remove if asked, unless the source specifically states that they are not to be used, then it is OK. With commercial media, whether it be online or on paper, is a different matter.

This is the Castle Inn from a drawing in 1833. The blurb with this image says it was at the corner of High Street and Castle Street. Viv

IMG_0226.JPG

Viv
I think the Castle hotel is the building shaded in darker shading, so Castle street seems to go into it, possibly meeting High St through an archway on the hotel site. If so, then Castle street was named as it led to the Castle hotel

Last edited:
Always been fascinated by this thoroughfare....especially the Pubs and Hotels......and also the Aquarium highlighted in mikejee's map from way back....so here's some more pics to add to the collection, and I love Joe Mckenna's take on it's history, and notably again...for it's role in the history of Birmingham's Theatres! And I include two old maps showing the hostelries quite nicely....

He wrote thus: Two doors further on, though several centuries earlier, was the Reindeer, at what was to become 41 High Street. A mid to late seventeenth-century inn, its licensee in 1663 was John Moorland. In 1691 it became a coaching inn. There is an advertisement to this effect in the London Gazette for 7-11 May: There is a stage-coach goes from the Rain-Deer Inn, in Birmingham, every Monday Morning, 6 o'clock, going through Warwick and Banbury, and comes to the Bell Inn, in West-Smithfield, every Wednesday, and so returns every Thursday, to the Rain-Deer Inn, in Birmingham, every Saturday at 18s. each Passenger. Performed by Nich. Rothwell, of Warwick.

Two years later, in 1693, the building was refaced in brick by builder Richard Pinley. In the early eighteenth century the house was renamed the Castle Inn. Dr Samuel Johnson stayed here in the autumn of 1734. In the stable belonging to the inn was held the first theatrical performance in the town under a permanent cover, before a dedicated theatre was erected in Moor Street. Wiki states: A building "something like a stable" in Castle Yard between High Street and Moor Street was used for dramatic performances from 1730. The standard of production in this new venue was reflected in the remarks of William Hutton, writing later in the century: "here the comedian strutted in painted rags, ornamented with tinsel. The audience raised a noisy laugh, half real and half forced, at three-pence a head”. Not all of the performances of this era were of such low quality, however: later playbills suggest that George Hallam had visited Birmingham with a company of actors from London, and that a repertoire of good quality was being presented in the town, by 1730 at the latest.

John Camden was landlord here between 1767 and 1770. On 22 May 1769 the first meeting of the Commissioners of the Birmingham Lamp Act took place at the Castle Inn, where apparently they continued to meet for some time thereafter.

Samuel Lloyd succeeded Camden. A Mr Piper ran this coaching inn after Lloyd. His widow continued until her retirement in 1785. John Ibberson, whose father ran the George & Blue Boar in Holborn, London, bought the house. During his time the Castle acted as the meeting place of the magistrates during the Scarcity Riots of 1800.

Ibberson was succeeded by another Londoner, William Waddell, who later took over the rival coaching inn, the Hen & Chickens in New Street. When put up for sale in 1812, an advertisement in the Birmingham Gazette (12 October) revealed that the Castle had four dining rooms and twenty-three bedrooms.
William Chapman took over the license, he was followed by John and Thomas Law, and finally, William Felton. The Castle was closed in 1854. Edward Gem, an export merchant, purchased one part, Joseph Barrow the other. Barrow took over the Castle's license, put in new windows, and opened a wine and spirits merchants called the Castle Vaults. This closed down in May 1922.

Attachments

• 1838 Map numbered  copy.jpg
    1838 Map numbered copy.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Bull Ring Map 1730s Pubs marked.jpg
    Bull Ring Map 1730s Pubs marked.jpg
    423.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Castle Street Moor St Map 1889.jpg
    Castle Street Moor St Map 1889.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Castle Street.jpg
    Castle Street.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 54
  • City Aquarium Moor St .jpg
    City Aquarium Moor St .jpg
    580.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Knapps House card.jpeg
    Knapps House card.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 51
Castle Street as it was a couple of days ago.

When did it get blocked off? I can certainly remember the entrance to the hairdressers who's sign is still there, but not sure if it was open all the way to Moor Street in my lifetime.

Attachments

• 20211119_113500-1420x1894 Castle Street.jpg
    20211119_113500-1420x1894 Castle Street.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 28
Back