• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

What Happened To The Lake House In Boldmere

Pedrocut, your post #42 explains why William Randle's widow ended up living at York Lodge, she was with her parents, the Moores. Straying from topic again but York Lodge was one of the large houses on Sutton Road which were demolished in the 1960's to build the Lyndhurst Council Estate.

I believe (although I will have to check) that Mrs Randle's brother died in his thirties so if there were no other children she may have inherited York Lodge which together with the proceeds from Lakehouse would explain why she left such a large amount of money in her will.

I may be wrong but I don't think that the Benjamin Holloway in your post #43 is the Lakehouse Man. Warley is a considerable distance away from Boldmere to exhibit your kidney beans. Although he did have large gardens!

Cardean17, I realise that this is at the wrong end of the investigation but, Like Janice, I'm still wondering where he got his money from to buy such a large property.

I think I'm going to go and see if I can find out from any of the residents how old the three houses are, the ones that are actually built on the Lakehouse site. What we could do with looking at is rate books for the period 1920 to 1945, surely these will give owner's and tenant's details.

Morturn, your post #38 - I think the dairy was nearer to Sycamore Road but I'll have a look next time I go past. There's a sort of yard still there I think.

Pedrocut..Hi I can state for a fact that it was not our Benjamin Holloway and the show because he was serving in the cavalry in India up until 1869.
Lady Penelope: Yes that is a big question but it is now looking like that wasn't all he had as there seems to be reference to other properties in the will.
My better half has nearly finished the will and we now know a bit more...will post when finished

Have you looked at Benjamin’s involvement during his stay in India?

Could Benjamin have been in this homecoming?

“When the order came to send the Queen's Bays (2nd Dragoon Guards) home to England in 1869 nearly one hundred men elected to stay in India. They were split up and posted to seven different British cavalry regiments that were there already. The remainder gave up their horses and embarked on the 'Malabar' on 31 Dec 1869. They landed at Suez, travelled by train from Cairo to Alexandra and arrived at Portsmouth on 31 Jan 1870.”

Hi Pedrocut..Yes I'm sure it was his return home as he had spent 33 years in the army and he retired in 1869 as a Captain on half pay..so it fits....

I was discussing the Lake House over breakfast this morning at St Michael's. Not sure if it's significant but apparently, before the Crimean War, officers had to buy their commissions and they weren't cheap.

Looking forward to the contents of the will!

Just a theory...William Randle died in 1920 and Lake House was getting old. Minnie Randle wanted somewhere close but more modern. She died in 1941 at Sandy Bank, Pilkington Avenue, Wylde Green. On the 1937 Map only half of Pilkington Avenue had been cut, and it does not exist on the 1913 Map.

In 1938 there is an advert for a maid, apply Mrs Randle, 37 Pilkington Avenue, Wylde Green.

Notice I said more modern and not smaller, see 37 today on Google!

B6FE1B2B-4C46-4E84-B591-086C8A8D87B8.jpeg

Hi Penelope..Benjamin joined the 15th Hussars in 1836 and was a private he rose through the ordinary ranks to Troop Sergeant Major (and would have looked like the picture I have posted of Troop SM of the 15th at the time when he was) he then made it to Regimental Sergeant Major. Then he became a quartermaster which were picked from the most senior NCO's and given a commission. He did this for two years and then was moved to the 2nd Dragoon Guards as quartermaster. His service record shows that he was commissioned without purchase, so he did it on merit and time served, and thus remains the question mark of the money for the Lake House. We thought maybe his first wife Sarah Horne may have had the money.

Pedrocut: Thanks for the info. I think the house that you mention in Pilkington avenue is the one I looked at on google satellite and it is still standing. It ironically has a circular drive and very much looks how I imagine the Lake House to have been. Don't know when it was built but perhaps the more modern as you mention may have been building that house in the image of the Lake House (I'm probably getting carried away now). I think you are on the right track though as the Lake House would have been old and the chance to make some money selling the land and the house to develop was probably a good option for Minnie May Randle. So you can see why I am on this crusade as all this means there must have been plans or drawings or something somewhere...thanks again

Attachments

• Troop Seargant Major of 15th Light Dragoons.JPG
    Troop Seargant Major of 15th Light Dragoons.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 3
ps Sorry I just spotted the file Pedrocut uploaded and yes that is the house I looked at on Google if go satellite again on it and go over head you can see the similarities of the drive

It might be I'm prepared to trying anything to get to the bottom of it. Do you know if they have online information as down here in Devon I am limited and appreciate the help that everyone is giving

Yes, Cardean17, I think that Sarah Horne is worth looking at. I've been trying to work out who Rebecca Turner was 'attached' to. Was she niece to Benjamin or Sarah or was it an enumerator's error and she was actually a 'nurse' to Sarah?

I definitely like Benjamin a lot more now that you have detailed his army history!

Another piece to add to the jigsaw - I called at the three houses this morning. Firstly, let me say how helpful the occupants were and at the first one I was told that they were tenants and so didn't know anything of the history but that the other two were owner-occupiers so may be able to help. Next door they were out but at the third house the family asked me in and told me as much as they knew. The father thought that the houses dated from 1937 or thereabouts. I hadn't prompted him with the date - he said he seemed to remember seeing it, maybe on the deeds. Also, there were two houses (first on the right in Lakehouse Road) which were built on the original gardens of these three properties but not until later. So there are three sets of dates to look at - 1. The three properties on Chester Road, 2. The houses in Lakehouse Road and the two later houses.
He seemed to remember that the builder's name was George and that he was maybe Greek.
His daughter (also very interested and helpful) said that she thought that the house had a 'name' so this may be worth looking for too.
We have exchanged email addresses and I have promised to keep them informed of our progress and my progress with this part of Boldmere as a whole.
I will try to get to see the occupants of the middle house as they may know a little more.

Hi Lady Penelope: You are doing amazingly well and I really do appreciate it. All the information you gathered about the three houses seems to back up everything I thought and that the house was there. Looking at the original maps I think the first house on the right in Lakehouse Road would be in the gardens/ land of the Lake House and thus in the gardens of the newer houses you visited.
I suppose it it possible that Sarah could have been a nurse but I would still bet she was the niece as I have checked on all the websites and they show her as niece. I will try and look into this a bit more. Just another fanciful thought, looking at the maps the house appears to have an outbuilding attached with land below, and as he was a cavalry officer I am wondering if it was a stable and he had his own horse/s there?

We haven't quite finished the will, however we now know that Benjamin left the house and land to Elizabeth his daughter in trust. So it would appear that the trustees made the decision to sell the estate once Rebecca Holloway (Turner) remarried. Initially Benjamin stated that the house was to be leased out for the best possible price within six months of him passing, and proceeds were to be passed to Rebecca and Elizabeth provided that Rebecca doesn't remarry or lead an immoral life. So as she marries again in 1886 three years later, and Elizabeth being only 10. we assume the trustees sold the property, hence one year later William Randle appearing in it. There is more to check however and I will keep you posted.

Dean

I don't think it is Lady P but Lady Sherlock!! I must say I like the idea of "nurse" - it bothered me that he married a niece. If Sarah was ill before she died it is likely she had a nurse.

Fascinated by the words 'or lead an immoral life'. Wonder how the trustees were going to judge or police that! Quite an unusual clause would you think?
It's quite possible that Benjamin would have had a horse. All the big houses on the Chester Road had coach houses the entrances to some of which can still be seen. I notice the absence of servants or a housekeeper, but maybe they had daily help. The train came to Boldmere in 1862 so access to both Lichfield and Birmingham would have been easy, plus the stations in between.

Rebecca is also listed as "assistant" on the 1871 census. At least, that is what I think it says. It would be interesting to know if she has an occupation on the marriage cert to Benjamin.

Back