• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kings Heath Horse Showground

florence butler

master brummie
I have been given a letter written to my uncle in Canada, (now deceased), from a young lady friend living in Birmingham dated May 1929. Here is an extract: 'On the Kings Heath show ground, they are holding a Torchlight Tattoo. It is a splendid display. The horses and airplanes are thrilling. It would have been a great success had the trams been running...'
This event took place during the General strike...I am curious to know what a Torchlight Tattoo was and if the location would be where Kings Heath park is now. Does anyone know?

Many thanks....Florence:)

Hi Floence, As a boy I lived at Yardley Wood and went to several Horse Show in Kings Heath Park. My Dad was a carter for the GWR and we always went. Touchlight tattoo are military parades held in the evening and night, they
used the AA Searchlights to light up the Paradeground.Very exciting when you are young.I spent five years in the
Guards and took part in several Tattoos on Horse Guards Parade, not Touchlight I might add. The nearest we have
nowadays is the one at Edinbrough Castle which is on TV every year, Aug/Sept time. Bernard

Thanks all...I never gave it a thought to google for the Horse Show, as I usually try other means before asking on the forum. It was nice however to hear that you enjoyed these events so much Bernard. Must try and catch the Edinburgh castle one.

Kind regards, Florence

A couple of press cuttings of the dog track. Sadly it had burnt down in a matter of weeks after the first photo. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Could someone confirm please that the dog track and the horse show ground are the same place (obviously at different times) as per post #4. Thanks. Viv.

Back