• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

"midland Journey" Film 1947

I was a schoolboy when the film was made and often watch it when I'm feeling nolstalgic. I particularly like the traffic scenes ... the two young women standing on the edge of the bus platform as it goes past Snow Hill passenger entrance ... views of Corporation St ... gas holders, a common sight in cities and towns in those days .... I could go on ... :D

I know that the film is a little old now, but it was new in 1947. So what if back the somebody in another town viewing the film in the local cinema thought Aston Park looks nice, I'm in Birmingham next week I'll pop over and take a walk through it. Only though nice as Aston Park is, it wouldn't be as expected. History aside these films were made to promote tourism, surely for that reason alone accuracy was also important.

Agree Phil, though we should perhaps remember that things to do with tourism are usually actually run be PR people , or their earlier equivalent, who are notoriously ignorant and often complete liars, Remember the photograph for the promotion of Birmingham (UK), that was actually Birmingham (alabama)

A couple of scenes interested me ...
A frame from the film shows Baskerville House and a very large poster advertising what could be a 'Victory at Sea' exhibition. In some other parts of the film the Council House is bedecked with military flags, so perhaps there was an 'Armed Forces week' when the film was shot.
Baskerville_House_1947.jpg
Another shot shows Boot's the Chemist on the corner of Colmore Row and Bull Street with boarded up windows and just small windows to show goods on display. Good showing of 1947 clothes and hair styles in the pic.
ColmoreRow1947iOS.jpg

Back