• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Scholefield Street

K

KeithH

Anyone remember anything about the top end of Schofield St., Nechells, at the junction with Great Lister St., ?
The cafe on the corner, the corn shop on the other corner, the lady that used to sell the toffee apples or old residents of the back to backs. Only six when I left 187.

Keith

Do you remember Georgie Clarke? and the little bit of a slope going down to the road which every winter we used as a slide?
Robert Gould used to live up by there, in the Maisonettes by Rocky Lane, the Pretty Ladies pub was not far from you.
Raymond Loveland wasn't far either, nor was Paul Bennet and what happened to the Caretakers son..Paul Meyries was it?
Maggie Mitchell lives near me now, so does David White, ...Steve Hayes lived in Medway I think, Edward Sang in Cromwell and Moosa Khan ditto.
Thanks for passing me this site Keith,
I hope being a Grandad is as great for you, as it is for me.
Les

Hi Would it be possible to look up in 1901 Kellys The name of the pub at 49 Scholefield Street and would it tell you the owners.

Thanks

Sandra

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi sandra
The nearest I've got is the 1903 Kellys and it doesn't mention anything at Number 49
There are 2 public houses mentioned
The Eagle Vaults at No. 60 - William Kitson
and the Freeholders at No 97 - george loxton

There are also four "beer retailer"s listed

No 29 - george clarke
No 138/139 - william callant
158 - ernest davis
175 - Thomas Smallwood

That's everything mentioned in 1903, hope it's of some help
jerry

there is no pub at 49 the nearest is the Eagle from 1900 Kelly's
49 would have been a private address

Was there a shop at the corner shop at Schofield Rd and Taylor St or nearby, I recall a lady who served in the shop who called us boys Co*k, such as 'Thank you Co*k' etc which as a lad of 6 or 7 found very embarrassing

Below superimposed on Google Earth is where Little King St was

Brilliant technology Mike, can you do it for Scholefield Street I wonder? I know it was subsumed by the Big new road that links Castle Vale to Town that runs alongside the M6.

Dennis
I think this is what you want for Schofield St.

Mike

schofield_st_superimposed_on_google.jpg

Hi Dennis Scholefield St had no connection with The B,ham Spine Rd it ran parallel with Bloomsbury St from Rocky Lane to Gt lister St it disappeared in the late 60s early 70s when Buck and Hickman built the 3 large blocks of flats in that area. I think the spine Rd was open in the 90s. Dek

That's why I wanted that map from Mike dek. You know what a complete ditz I am!! My immediate lot lived there and I just wondered you know...

Are there any pictures of Schofield St or St Catherine's Church. I've had a bit of a search but can't find any.

In one of those little quirks, my 3 x g grandfather on my mom's side was living at 162 in 1871 and 30 or so years later my grandfather (dad's dad) was living at back of 28, which appear to have been almost opposite each other.

Just a query ... when I read information on the forum about 'Schofield Street' and comments about streets ajoining it, I keep seeing 'Scholefield Street' on maps and image tags. The street does not now exist but did it run parallel to Cromwell Street ?

It seems that a lot of Scholefield Street was destroyed by bombing in WW2 as shown in the first two pics below and the third pic shows the inside of St Catherines Church.
Scholefield1.jpg
Scholefield2.jpg
StCatherines.jpg
images from Shoothill site.

There is also an existing forum pic of The Eagle pub which was somewhere on Scholefield Street.
The_Eagle_28scholefield_st29.jpg

Thanks oldmohawk. According to the map The Eagle was on the corner of Schofield St and Weston St.

The map I'm looking at is marked 1951 and has ruins marked on it, St Catherine's is missing, and there still seem to be some houses left.

Last edited:
And finally there is this small pic on the forum of an Outdoor but no information about where it was on Scholefield St. I have to admit I know nothing about the street but I like to look at old pics !
oldmohawk ... :)
_%28KGrHqIOKjQE4nEyLNROBOLbWum3qg~~_12.JPG

I love looking at the pictures too and am grateful to everyone who posts them. I'd like to contribute more but most discussions are about things somewhat before I was born.

Thanks ... there is this pic already on the forum which has a tag indicating that it is Scholefield Street date 1960. Looking at maps and the angle of the street on the right it could be the junction with Great Lister Street.
This is Scholefield Street, with the "Corn Shop" left hand picture, and My house next door. Opposite is Davidsons Café.
Scholefield2BSt2B1960.jpg

I realise I'm a bit late adding to this thread but the attached picture was posted in 2009 by BHF member Keith in response to my thread for the Keight family that lived at 187 Scholefield Street (the house with the black car in front of it). The original image was dated 1960 and labelled Great Lister St./Scholefield St., I think it was originally supplied by Carl Chinn.

Attachments

• 187 Scholefield Street Duddeston March 1960.jpg
    187 Scholefield Street Duddeston March 1960.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 43
Scholefield St Eagle Inn map.jpg

Eagle Inn on the corner of Scholefield Street and Weston Street. My Nan lived and worked here, cleaning and pulling pints.

Maps (from 1950) of Scholefield St and Cranbury St for Keith...

0 - Scholefield St.jpg 0 - Cranbury St.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone remember anything about the top end of Schofield St., Nechells, at the junction with Great Lister St., ?
The cafe on the corner, the corn shop on the other corner, the lady that used to sell the toffee apples or old residents of the back to backs. Only six when I left 187.
My nan actually remembers the cafe, I believe her mum worked there at some point!

Back