• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Comics Of The 1920s And 30s

S

Stitcher

I vaguely remember a magazine called School Friend or something similar. (Images were lost from this thread - image below is a replacement/substitute Viv).
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the School Friend lasted until the 1950's. One of my sisters must have taken it for me to remember.

I remember The Film Fun from the 1940s Eric but it is not with my 1920s Opie pages. That is not to say it was not published during the 20s of course.

I recall several, especially 'Tiny Tots' as I used to have a great heap of 1920's and 30's comics as a child, inherited from my aunts ... I only wished I still had them!

JonhO, now you mention it I seem to recall the Tiny Tots so maybe thats another one that survived the decade.

One of my favourite comics as a child was Film Fun, was it not out in 1920's ??? Eric

Yes Eric

Film Fun was a British comic book that ran from (issues dates) 17 January 1920 to 15 September 1962, when it merged with Buster, a total of 2225 issues. There were also annuals in the forties and fifties. It had been renamed Film Fun and Thrills in 1959. As the title suggests, the comic mainly featured comic strip versions of people from films from the 1920s to the 1960s.

A wide variety of comics were availiable in the 1930s, mostly for boys. Established names such as Comic Cuts were usually not in colour and cost 1d. More recent names with more colour and more pages cost 2d. The new ones in the 30s included Mickey Mouse Weekly (1936), The Dandy (1937) and The Beano (1938). Cowboys were still a favourite theme; The Ranger first appeared in 1931 and Wild West Weekly in 1938. Free gifts were part of the attraction and The Gem offered a working model aero-car over three issues. The Playbox gave away a wristlet watch. The Ovaltineys were founded in 1935.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the images originally posted on this thread were from the Opie books but were lost. Found a few images of 1920s comics (afraid not from Opie's books) but posting these below. Sorry, some images not very good quality. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 23
Great old comics (before my time of course ;-D)
I can imagine some of them would not be very PC now - especially the Boy's Magazine by the looks of the cover!

No not very PC. Using free gifts to sell magazines was nothing new even back in the 1920s. The magazine in post#1 offers a free gift of a Clive Brook 'real' photo. His film career had just launched in the 1920s and I expect young girls were his fans. Roles included Sherlock Holmes. This is him, looking dapper. Wonder if this was the free photo. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 6
In the late 40's my Gran used to send me a comic called Rainbow (designed for tots). Doing a search suggests it ran from before 1920 to at least the mid 1950s. This hadn't the same characters as the more modern paper of the same name featuring Zippy, Bungle etc but may well be the same publisher.
Rainbow Annual.JPG

I used to have the Dandy and the Beano during the week , then on Saturday morning up to Mrs Parkes shop cnr William St and Bishopsgate St for either the Topper or the Beezer

Don't think any of those comics were around in the 1920 to 30 Williamstreeter, they were late 1940s and 50s when they first came out.

Try the thread Essence of the 50s and 60s Williamstreeter, there will probably be many memories for you there.

Back