• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Transportation To Tasmania

Going back to the original post the Assizes are definitely Staffs as it says so in the corner and William is definitely from Birmingham - so - the plot thickens!
Perhaps Dad got done in Staffs and the son in Birmingham (Warwick) after all it does say 'wife and 5 children initially.

Going back and looking at the Staffs Lent Seesions there were “28 prisoners capitally convicted, and sentenced to death...including a William Bolton for house-breaking, and a William Bolton for sacrilege...23 of these capital convicts were reprieved before the judges left town, but 5 others are left for execution...

....in the case of William Bolton and Joseph Jostage, they appeared to belong to a gang of depregators, possessed by a variety of implements, by the use of which they were enabled to break into that Sacred place, which probably they have scarce visited since their baptismal rites had been performed, and stealing those things which they admitted were of little value to them; that Book to which the true Christians turned for consolation in the hour of grief, was to them an object of plunder....

...such of them whose lives were spared, must be transported for life.”

The William Bolton convicted of house-breaking at this Stafford Session is not the one to appear as No 482 on the Lord Hungerford. No 482 is (18?) and his trial date was 31 March at Warwick, and not Stafford. Also at Stafford some ages of 16, 17 and 18 are given.

So 'our' William is not on the Lord Hungerford? I wonder how he got there? He's definitely the one convicted of sacrilege though.

Our William, convicted of sacrilege, is No 475 on the Lord Hungerford List. I think the other William No 482 (18?) is just coincidental. In some papers he is Boulton. It’s unlikely that he is the son of 475.

Last edited:
Have done a search of NSW records and most have to be paid for as they are not digitised but did find this which could be our Mary.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-15_9-44-25.png
    upload_2018-3-15_9-44-25.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 11
Have done a search of NSW records and most have to be paid for as they are not digitised but did find this which could be our Mary.

So it looks like Mary Boulton behaved herself. She had been sentenced to 7 years transportation in 1824 and sailed on the ship Grenada on the 25th September 1824. Her freedom and ticket of leave date from 13th September 1831, 7 years after she arrived. But did she stay in Australia or come home?

I am not sure what the "ticket of leave" does. Perhaps we need to check 1841 or 1851 censuses.
Apparently it means they were free to pursue a new life on the new colony. It does not imply they left Australia.

Last edited:
Peter, I believe she stayed in Australia as she appears to have died there in 1836. I say 'believe' because this is hearsay as I don't have access to the Australian records. I will check on this. I am pretty sure her family stayed there but will check on this too.

Morning Pen.
Just amended #74 now I have found out what it means. There are some records on FMP but you need a subscription to read them.

Yes it is not clear from the summing up of the judge, whether those who were transported for life, could just come back for a visit or a permanent stay. Mary had been sentenced to 7 years transportation and I think her ticket of leave may alow her to come home, with the understanding that she would be sent back if she reoffended?

7B550FC0-DC4B-41E0-B6CA-94B3C77FC30E.jpeg
I am not sure what the "ticket of leave" does. Perhaps we need to check 1841 or 1851 censuses.
Apparently it means they were free to pursue a new life on the new colony. It does not imply they left Australia.

If you think logically - the only way she could come home was to buy passage but she would not have the money. So it is more likely she stayed.

For the record the info on the three William Boltons...

Our William Bolton, convicted of sacrilege at Stafford Lent Assizes on 15th March 1821, sentenced to Death, reprieved to Transportation to Van's Land, and was No 475 on the ship the Lord Hungerford which departed on the 28th July 1821.

The William Bolton, convicted of burglary at the same Session as Our William, was sentenced to death, reprieved to transportation to New South Wales, and sailed on the Asia on the 1st April 1822.

The William Bolton who’s sailed with Our William and was No 482 on the Lord Hungerford, was convicted of larceny at Warwick Lent Assizes on the 31st March 1921, sentenced to 7 years transportation to Van’s Land.

Back