• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bordesley Green Doctors...

Hello there, col h,
"....... the younger one with I think an Irish accent" would have been Dr Aidan Martin; he was the only Irishman in the 5-doctor, 3-surgery practice. The other four doctors were all Welsh and had the associated, pronounced "sing-song" accent. Although younger than both Dr Bowen (the senior partner) and Dr Jones, Dr Martin was not the youngest of the five GPs. The youngest - and "newest" - was Dr Benbow, who joined the practice in 1957.
Dr Aidan Martin's son, Dr Niall Martin, was also a member of the practice prior to and after their joining other local doctors at the Yardley Green Medical Centre. David

Hello, Maria,

Dr Jones's wife, Myra, outlived him quite handsomely. David

Afraid your wrong there David, my parents were caretakers for the practice lived in the house attached to the surgery. My Mum was also the receptonist :) this was in the 50's - 60's I was 14 at the time. Dr Jone's wife along with his 8 year old young daughter were killed in a car accident on their way to Wales for a family holiday. Very sad time.

Back