• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Henley Street/South Road, Sparkbrook

my mother used to work at the brush/broom factory it was called Stephenson's and I think it was two brothers who owned it and one was called Eric. I remember watching my work there making the brooms. It was extremely dusty hard work and I bet health and safety would not allow that kind of work today.

Hi Sue

I knew a few people that lived in your street and Queen St & Studley St, my best mate at one time was Alf the youngest of the Stokes family. That was after he was married and moved from Alfred Street.

Hello Phil, Yes I remember the Stokes family. In fact when we were teenagers and behaving like groupies for the pigeon fanciers we used to congregate at Ruth & Gerry Stokes house. There was the Guest family on the corner of Queen Street, The Chinns, Miss Alan in the shop on Alfred Street and my mad old Auntie Lizzie had the china shop. It was a great community with lots of characters and a couple of worthy pubs!

Hi Sue

Yes the Stokes were all pigeon mad, I was also good friends with Jerry and Ruth and often stopped with them at weekends at their house on Golden Hillock Rd. I was at Jerry's funeral a few years back there was a large turnout for that even Carl Chinn was there. Ruth and all her family live in Worcester now I believe. My Wife is a Stokes her father was the son of Jerry's fathers brother. I haven't seen Alfie since my Aunts funeral and that's a couple of years ago now I must look him up as I think he and his sister (Rena?) are the only ones left alive out of what was a very large family.

I've been really interested in all the stories about south road and Henley st all my mothers family came from both streets my mom's father and brother worked at the wood yard called manleys at the top of south road my grandads name was Harry Warren and my uncle John Warren all where born in South road including my mom then Doris Warren and myself we where all moved away in the late 60s my mom and dads house was directly behind the woodman pub and I would climb on the wall behind the pub to watch them putting the rings on the pigeons .my nan and grandad lived right next door to Evelyn gradeys grocery shop just up south road from the woodman all I can say is happy days.

Ellie, welcome to the thread, it sounds like your parents were in around the same location as where I believe my father was born. He was born at 1back 96 Henley St which I think backed on to the Woodman Pub in South Road. With everything long since cleared and virtually no family photos, I have not been able to get anything that shows how the pub and the surround houses looked, if you have any I would love to see them.
Fingers crossed
Bob

Ellie, welcome to the thread, it sounds like your parents were in around the same location as where I believe my father was born. He was born at 1back 96 Henley St which I think backed on to the Woodman Pub in South Road. With everything long since cleared and virtually no family photos, I have not been able to get anything that shows how the pub and the surround houses looked, if you have any I would love to see them.
Fingers crossed
Bob
Hello we have a some family photos I don't know how much of the houses they show but I will certainly look for you.we lived at 2/98 would you believe.

Been trying to do a bit of detective work on the house numbers, I found 38 on Street View and counted my way up Henley Street, unfortunately the join in the 1905 map I have is a bit out of alignment but I think I have identified where 96 and 98 were. Based on that I think I know which one was 1 back 96 Henley Street, where my father was born1905 Henley Street Map Annotated.jpg

Below is a map c 1950 showing Henley St. It confirms 38 & 82 (82 being written in on the map originally), but shows 96 & 98 shifted a little.

Attachments

• map c 1950 Henley st showing 38 82.96 98 and Woodman.jpg
    map c 1950 Henley st showing 38 82.96 98 and Woodman.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 51
Coming to this late, sorry.
I have just found out that a relative had a sign writing business in Henley Street, just up from Stratford Road. Finding this information out reminded me that I used to see a sign - Vincent, Sign Writers - hanging from one of the walls as Mam and I went past on the 37 bus. If anyone could help I would be most grateful - this information came from a relative in New Zealand, amazing how small the world has become!!

I was born in Henley street went to Christ church school then Oakley road i remember the Nash family Edwards millers Wilkes Odreans fruit shop Stubbs Woodcocks Dales most all TAYLORS CAKES and the barber who tried to sell us you know what my brother told he put holes in them so the kids could go their to get their hair cut. Every Sunday we played football in farm park then formed a very good side called farm united in the coronation league. Most of them became very successful snudge

I've recently come across some notes that my aunt wrote about her life. I have similar ones that my mother wrote too. They were both born at 11 Malvern Terrace, Henly Street. My aunt Winnifred Baker went to Oakley Road school and my Grandad's local was the Woodman pub. They later moved to Bolton Road and then to Mary Street where my Grandad had a small factory. There were 5 children by then Norman the eldest, Elsie, my Mom, Winnifred, Herbert and Grace. Does anyone remember them.

I do not recall the terrace you speak of, by the Woodman pub perhaps. The Smiths, greens, lived in that area i lived at the top end of Henley street opposite Woodcocks sweet shop i spent time with Sheila Mayers from Stratford street and she later married an American, i went to Oakley road in 1949 in 1956 went into the RAF all my brothers served in the forces and my father who died in 1944 and two of his brothers. i hope you do well in your search and people contribute.

I do not recall the terrace you speak of, by the Woodman pub perhaps. The Smiths, greens, lived in that area i lived at the top end of Henley street opposite Woodcocks sweet shop i spent time with Sheila Mayers from Stratford street and she later married an American, i went to Oakley road in 1949 in 1956 went into the RAF all my brothers served in the forces and my father who died in 1944 and two of his brothers. i hope you do well in your search and people contribute.
Thank you anyway. I think my aunt must have been much older than you and left Oakley Road long before you arrived. It's difficult to follow up on her notes now that she is no longer with us to answer questions.

Hi,
I wonder if anyone would be able to help me please. I am carrying out some family research and I am trying to locate a family who lived in Henley Street Sparkbrook during the mid to late 1960's. They lived next door to my parents - Ted Owen and Betty Owen and my sister and brother. The wife was called Joy but unfortunately that is all the information I have. The husband worked in one of the steel tube factories close by as I believe these properties were owned by Universal Steel and Tube Co and some of their employees rented them until they were demolished in the early 70's.
The family were neighbours of my parents but I'm not sure what number in Henley street they lived at. Sorry not a great deal of information and it is a long shot. Any help or information would be greatly received. Thanks, Helen

hi.i was born.in the woodman, 1946.my mom and dad ran the pub.from the 30s.till 1952.idnt remember much but some of you might remember.my brother joseph.he was 12yr.my senior.the names .i recall.ted williams the tailor.allbrooks.the butchers. anybody remember nurse gem..my surname is ross.looking forward to chats
I'd like to know more about Joseph Standley Ross and his wife Elizabeth.

CALLING ALL RESIDENTS OF HENLEY STREET ..... need help identifying some people in this photograph which, I assume, is part of the Coronation celebrations. The image was given to me by somebody who had grandparents in the street but does not know anything about the pic.

Attachments

• henley-street-rose-tavern-1953.jpg
    henley-street-rose-tavern-1953.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 18
My mother inlaw was born at 10 Grafton rd 1946 & was raised by the Stubbs family in the corner shop. We’ve recently come across these pics. The older girl in the middle is Joan Stubbs & my mother inlaw Mary is the little girl below does anyone recognise the others? The other photo is Joan & Mary I assume outside the house on Grafton Rd.

Attachments

• 2DB6D971-2CC1-4073-ADF8-4EA8983D5BAF.jpeg
    2DB6D971-2CC1-4073-ADF8-4EA8983D5BAF.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 5950993E-471D-4ACE-91B9-DEA7D7BF5267.jpeg
    5950993E-471D-4ACE-91B9-DEA7D7BF5267.jpeg
    562.4 KB · Views: 9
I used the woodman pub in South road Henley street I remember the brush factory but not name and I used to go to Oakley school from 66 to 1970

Back