• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

See Birmingham by Post Card

Came across a booklet of Old Birmingham by postcard. Many have been seen on the Forum, but I can’t recall this one of the Birmingham Super Prix, 1988.

5910D479-4F8B-4E37-BFDE-DF8C5EB10C94.jpeg

I have this same postcard. There is a stamp on the back but unfortunately it is not franked. The stamp is a George V green halfpenny. This, plus the clothes worn in the photo, perhaps suggests 1910 or soon after. Dave.
Farmerdave
What is the back like on your card? If it is split then it is after 1905, a full back makes it before that date and the bottom title line has a suggestion of an early Frith card, also there is a horse bus in it. Regrettably the stamp and postage dates often are misleading, people bought cards put them in a draw and then posted them years later.
Bob

The back is split in that it has a left hand side for the message and a right hand side for the address. There does seem to be a horse bus in it but there is only a rear view with no visible destination sign. At the very bottom of the front side of the postcard it says "The Wrench Series No. 5735". Dave.

The back is split in that it has a left hand side for the message and a right hand side for the address. There does seem to be a horse bus in it but there is only a rear view with no visible destination sign. At the very bottom of the front side of the postcard it says "The Wrench Series No. 5735". Dave.
Thanks, the photo was taken prior to 1906 as Wrench ceased pc publishing 1906/7. It is a horse bus you can see the horse art the front turning left, the split back is time appropriate as well.
Bob

Post 1898, Billesley Arms, shows bus 272 OX 1548 an AEC built in 1927 running on the 11 Outer Circle. This class of bus was withdrawn between 1935 and 1937. The Billesley Arms opened for trade in 1927.

Last edited:
It connected the cricket pitch in front of the factory to the girl's grounds on the other side of the lane. It was by the side of the cricket pavilion

map c 1916 showing bridge accross bournville lane.jpg

St Mary's Row Moseley ... all the buildings in the view are still there but changed ...
View attachment 122223
When you look at the bus in this picture it almost says I agree to Radiorails remark about the colour of Birmingham buses being his favourite and I agree with him, how smart, clean and business like this bus looks. Actually I don't know who the publisher is, but this is one of those superb late forties early fifties colour postcards. Not garish in colour and a recognisable view.

Bob

The postcard was manufactured by me when I coloured it about 8 hours ago ... :rolleyes:
That is why I put the pic in this thread rather than the main street pic threads. The image I worked on is shown below and a feature which caught my eye is the van in front of the bus. It seems out of proportion and looks slightly too small. I moved the title in the colour pic because of the watermark.
StMarysRowMos.jpg
With regard to postcards and colour look at the image in post#1901. I can see colour artifacts that suggest it might have been coloured by a computer. Look at the sky, it is difficult for a computer to get the edges of clouds correct. Also that grey shadow patch on the road would have been smoother if hand coloured. Some strange pink areas on buildings and many other odd things which I can recognise as possible computer colouring.

Last edited:
The postcard was manufactured by me when I coloured it about 8 hours ago ... :rolleyes:
That is why I put the pic in this thread rather than the main street pic threads. The image I worked on is shown below and a feature which caught my eye is the van in front of the bus. It seems out of proportion and looks slightly too small. I moved the title in the colour pic because of the watermark.
View attachment 122233
With regard to postcards and colour look at the image in post#1901. I can see colour artifacts that suggest it might have been coloured by a computer. Look at the sky, it is difficult for a computer to get the edges of clouds correct. Also that grey shadow patch on the road would have been smoother if hand coloured. Some strange pink areas on buildings and many other odd things which I can recognise as possible computer colouring.
OM
How wrong can I be? All I can say congratulations on a magnificent job. You really threw me with that one, I thought I was looking at a Jarrold or Dixon postcard and you spoilt my evening by proving me wrong, but unlike early colourists you did get the bus colours spot on. Its one of the post war HOV or early JOJ Daimlers, until Radiorails proves me wrong by saying it's one of the Crossleys
Bob

Hi Bob,
I have a laptop, desktop, and iPad and the colour of Birmingham buses looks different on each of them so we probably all see slightly different colours. The 'streetview' pic in the link below shows I got the bank (now Costa) wrong. The traffic light was a puzzle but must have been an early design.
oldmohawk :)
https://goo.gl/maps/7NAvMBpYJLS2

I am not going to contradict you Bob, I also think it is a Daimler as you suggest. :) It certainly is not one of the AEC Regents which were often on the 1A - wrong saloon windows and neither is it one of the Brush Leylands - wrong upper rear window. Crossleys were not common on the 1A, as far as I know, in those days - maybe in the later time of their lives.
Nice picture however.

Hi Bob,
I have a laptop, desktop, and iPad and the colour of Birmingham buses looks different on each of them so we probably all see slightly different colours. The 'streetview' pic in the link below shows I got the bank (now Costa) wrong. The traffic light was a puzzle but must have been an early design.
oldmohawk :)
https://goo.gl/maps/7NAvMBpYJLS2
The traffic light is a puzzle, why only one on one side of the road? No matter that you made a mistake, it is still a fine piece of colouring....it had me fooled.

Bob

Looking at the roadway - to the rear of the bus - suggests the photo was taken where the two 'legs' of St, Mary's Row meet. The left hand side (the bus side of the road) is presently one-way, I wonder when that came about? Whatever, the other traffic signal(s) would be there but just out of view I believe.
Todays view shows the bank to be a coffee shop, The Bulls Head is there but the bus stop has moved below the junction closer to Alcester Road. The traffic signals have gone.

This photo, from the Bloomsbury Street thread is even more distinct.
I believe it is a photo taken prior to the abandonment of trams on the 7 Nechells route which was in 1922. The first city trolleybuses, also route 7, took over until 1940 when wartime necessities caused buses to take over the route which became route 43.
The track to the right, Saltley Road, which was used by route 10 trams to Washwood Heath until September 1950 when bus route 56 took over. Between the Nechells route and the Washwood Heath route there was a section of track with a loop. This was retained after the Nechells trams ceased and was used as a method, using a skate in the track enabling the trolleybuses to gain a way to the Washwood Heath depot.
The building in the background was a library. A good photo exists also on the Bloomsbury Street thread.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/bloomsbury-st.28050/page-2
Addendum: I forgot to mention this. There are two tram stop signs, one on each of the traction poles on the right hand side of the photo (they neatly frame the two policemen). It seems odd that they should be so close. Anyone any ideas?
index.php

Last edited:
I dont know if this has been posted before, but its too good not to share. Max
This shop was once a waiting room for the City of Birmingham Tramways (battery) accumulator cars as this was the Suffolk Street terminus. The distant terminus was at Dawlish Road, Bournbrook. These trams ran for eleven years - 1890 - 1901 until superseded by CBT electric trams.
936-86170b1d2eb5ba015165cec1ddc865a7.jpg

This picture, posted by Stitcher, in the Electric Trams thread shows one of these trams It also shows a good shot of Simpkiss's shop, he was a pawnbroker.

I found this postcard on ebay - Cambridge Road Kings Heath. The building on the left is, I think, Cambridge Road Church which is still there. The metal railing have gone from the top of the wall and some of the buildings have also been replaced. Modern image from Google Streetview.
d9dd8a24-ccd3-43b9-87ed-eba7fa23a9b0

Attachments

• Cambridge Road.jpg
    Cambridge Road.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 42
  • upload_2018-3-27_11-57-51.png
    upload_2018-3-27_11-57-51.png
    409.8 KB · Views: 39
The Exchange, Stephenson Place. 1885. Designed by Edward Holmes and opened on Jan 2nd 1865, the Exchange building provided the largest commercial complex in the town. It housed the Exchange and The Chamber of Commerce; and was a place to conduct business. It contained meeting rooms, offices, dining, smoking and coffee rooms. The building was demolished 1960s.

Attachments

• Stephenson Place.jpg
    Stephenson Place.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
I notice the name Gaydon Grocer on the side of the building. Thomas Gaydon is listed in the 1900 Kelly's directory at 84 High street Harborne . Is this likely to be the right date?
By 1913 he occupied 102 and 104 High street

Back