• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Birmingham air raids

Yes Sticher , that looks like one of Dad's saves, also went to Coventry, never realized how close that was to Bum.
Cheers Tim

I have a small booklet, published by Raphael Tuck & Sons Ltd for The Fire Service Benevolent Fund in 1944. Its objective was to raise funds by its purchase.
The title is 'In the service of the nation' with a sub title The NFS goes into action. The storyline is fictitious but was written by an un-named senior fire officer describing some the vents attended by firefighters during the second world war. The National Fire Service was formed early on in the war but did not become a legal entity until 1943! The Auxiliary Fire Service continued after the re-organization of the countries fire services in 1947 until around 1966. The FS benevolent fund has changed it name to The Fire Services Charity. You can always support it by attending one of their 'car washes'. I go to a local one but did get my car washed at a fire station in Oldbury after visiting the Black Country Museum. I was an area representative for twenty five years of the former FSNBF - hence the plug. ;)

lakey Lane..jpg
This bomb crater Is in a field off Lakey Lane Hall Green. The field was/is at the back of the house where I was born and raised and I have been told in the past that if you looked over the fence from our back garden you would have been facing the woman in the picture.

Hello all. I am conducting research for a second book. Some of you will recall that last year the volunteers of West Midlands police museum released a book called a Fair Cop for charity. So far we have paid our £4,000 cost's back and have already donated an additional £2,000 to charities for domestic violence and I take this opportunity to thank those of you that supported that project with information. So the second book, this will be Policing Birmingham in WWII. Whilst we do not have a confirmed name as yet or even a decision what the profits will go towards it is likely we will opt for the museum heritage project that is currently looking for a location for the new museum when Sparkhill Police station (were it is currently based) closes. I am hoping some of you can provide some information. Today I went to Sandwell Valley and to the Golf course at Hilltop. Adjacent to that is an old Gun Emplacement and I have attached some picture of this. I am hoping for additional information concerning what exactly was there. There are at least two Gun pits but signs of other long since collapsed building. Does anyone have any information? I am also looking for information on Rowheath Pavilion as we have an account for the book from a police messenger who states that Rockets were fired at the location which was another form of defence. Does anybody know of any existing surface brock shelter that still service, I am aware of the one that was at Pype Hayes but that has now gone or does anybody know of somebody that has an Anderson shelter in their back garden that I could photograph. What would be really nice would be to find some evidence of the bombing such as shrapnel and other air raid related stuff that I could photograph. Can anybody out there assist with the above or photographs that are not copyright protected that I could consider using.

Attachments

• DSCN0023.JPG
    DSCN0023.JPG
    909.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN0024.JPG
    DSCN0024.JPG
    938.6 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0029.JPG
    DSCN0029.JPG
    948.8 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN0030.JPG
    DSCN0030.JPG
    915.3 KB · Views: 39
well done with the sales of the first book steve...glad you covered the costs and also made £2000 on top for a worthy charity....good luck with the 2nd book profits of this for the museum heritage fund would be fantastic as i know you are all working very hard to find a new police museum venue...great photos by the way...i didnt even know about the sandwell valley gun emplacement...i am sure our members will be happy to help you with any information they can provide...as always steve good luck...

lyn

There is much that you can research - I assume you live in or near the city.
This Forum has many threads that refer to industrial premises and factories that had their own defences such as pill boxes and even underground shelters and it is surprising what gems can arise in a thread where past reminisces are concerned. Make good use of the search facility - you may not get what you want first time so alter the wording and try again. ;)
Following the loss of so much of the city's industrial heritage many of these structures have been demolished or erased but I am certain that records exist in the city's libraries of the city. Details of those such as the Lion Works (thread here on the Forum) are well documented as are certain WW2 artefacts at Longbridge Shadow factory and other large industrial places. Even department stores had provision for air raids. Some of these things still exist, such as anti aircraft gun emplacement structures in Sutton Park and Handsworth, a pill box at Lifford adjacent to the canal.
You might look into, if you haven't already, the working of the corporation: buses, trams, fire, ambulance, water, gas, electricity and the more difficult services such as rescue and removal of dead ans injured people. The water, gas and electricity supplies were a corporation affair at that time. I am sure the Police had much to do observing and policing much of this. For instance due to bombing of tram and bus garages many trams were stabled in the open further away from the city centre and major industrial premises. This proved a very successful move and I would not be surprised if the local bobbies were asked to keep a watchful eye on them.
I do recall policemen checking identity cards of people travelling on buses and trams. I do not know whether that was a regular occurrence or simply when looking for criminals, aliens or military deserters.
Much of this you already know probably, but hopefully there might be a comment or two which is helpful.

Radiorails, I think it was a regular occurrence, twice I was with my Mom on our way to Aston from Shirley to see our Nan, and were stopped outside the Market Hall by a PC, I think it was to make sure you were carrying your ID and no other reason, this was at the time of the bombings so would be 1940 -41 (I was 10 or 11 !). Strange how certain happenings stick in your mind. Eric

Eric,
It is re-assuring that someone else remember these police checks. I remember that it seemed to happen on Stratford Road bus services, usually at Robin Hood island. We travelled to the city many different ways, I have no idea why, on buses and trains but it was usually after visiting someone - and then probably travelling with them - to town. You mention ID cards, well I never carried mine, my Guardian carried it, I still posses it however.
I wonder if the routes that travelled on minor roads were checked?

poster_39a.jpg

dogid.gif

Steve
If you haven't come across it , you might look at "The defence of Worcestershire and the southern apptoaches to Birmingham in WW2" by Mick Wilks. It is only concerned with worcestershire, but might give you some ideas

Back in 2015 I uploaded a copy of my identity card issued when I was 4 years old and must have been security concious because I blurred out some details on it. I cannot understand why we do not have plastic ones with photographs today but the views of people against them prevailed.
I'm one of the diminishing band of people who was registered and still have my identity card shown below. I have blurred out some information. The card was required to obtain ration books and I have memories of long queues in the 'Food Office' (now Baskerville House) with my mom obtaining the ration books. The card was probably stamped every time a ration book was issued.
View attachment 102096_View attachment 102097
index.php

index.php

images only visible if logged in

Last edited:
Radiorails, I don't remember seeing my ID card, I suppose Mom carried it. We travelled to our Nan's every weekend and were never stopped on the Midland Red 'bus or the 3x Tram, only in the Bull Ring by the Market. Eric

oldMohawk, I agree, in these uncertain times I think an ID card should be mandatory, other European countries have them, we had them during the war regardless of what people thought. Eric

Radiorails, I don't remember seeing my ID card, I suppose Mom carried it. We travelled to our Nan's every weekend and were never stopped on the Midland Red 'bus or the 3x Tram, only in the Bull Ring by the Market. Eric
Possibly as the Midland Red were limited stop once over the city boundaries, had longer journeys and were a less frequent service and as such delays were more intrusive into their service timetable. Whereas the BCT stopped frequently, were far more frequent and were, I am sure, more able to adjust to delays as their journeys were shorter. Just a guess, mind you. :D It was on a BCT route 37 bus that I immediately recall and never recall a 29A or Midland Red check, but I guess they happened.

Don't know if this was a general thing, but my mum was stopped on more than one occasion to check if she had her gas mask. The box often carried her dancing shoes, but not the mask. She had a few ticking offs over it. Viv.

The neighbours Anderson shelter I spent many a night in was converted to a shed, painted green, had a side window cut in, and moved near to the house. Many people converted them after the war. I've just had a look on Apple Maps and it appears to still be there. It was certainly there in 2001 because I saw it but cannot be 100% sure now because of the way Apple generates 3D objects but it looks familiar ..:)
anderson_iOS.jpg

We never had an Anderson shelter, we had the indoor Morrison shelter which took the form of a large steel table when assembled, which we all clambered under during an air raid (2 adults and 3 children !). Don't remember what happened to that, maybe collected after the war ? Eric

Don’t know if this has featured before, but from the Birmingham Daily Post May 1945.

Alfred Road, Sparkbrook

2F2C2975-6AB7-4BF4-91D1-652A827A3F79.jpeg

Back