• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Miles Tea & Coffee

Paul D

master brummie
Hi, I believe the Miles Tea & Coffee business moved to Victoria Road, Sutton Coldfield when the original premises was bombed in 1940. Does anyone know where the original business was please?

I presume this was Henry Miles & Co, tea merchants, 1 & 2 Central Buildings Scotland Passage, High St. It is marked approximately in blue on the c1937 map below, , though not sure exactly how far back from the High St it went

map_c_1937_showing_12C2_central_buildings_Scotland_passage.jpg

Mike

Did they have other premises elsewhere, as this photo of part of their premises on Scotland Passage seem to indicate that they did I can't quite make out what it says? Also it looks from this photo that they must have been on both sides of the passage.

Attachments

• City Scotland Passage (3).jpg
    City Scotland Passage (3).jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 33
Phil
Its 22 (or possibly another number before the 22) Mincing lane, London. They seem to have had several depots, as the first Woolworths in the UK is stated to have been in a building in Liverpool previously occupied by them. I was going on them being only on the north side of the passage by Kellys in 1940, but they could well have also occupied some on the south side

Last edited:
Thanks Mike,

It seems possible that they were on both sides of the passage as there is even a connecting bridge.

I do not live in the area so do not know, so to ask a possibly silly question was the depot in Scotland Passage, High St destroyed during the war?

I wonder if the Henry Miles in Liverpool was a different person. Just read on the Woolworths museum site their first shop in the UK was in the former Henry Miles milleners there.

Yes I think it must have been a different firm. the link I got just gav ethe name of the firm, and not what it did, and I made an unwarranted assumption

Mike

Did they have other premises elsewhere, as this photo of part of their premises on Scotland Passage seem to indicate that they did I can't quite make out what it says? Also it looks from this photo that they must have been on both sides of the passage.
Just wondered if you know the date of the photograph you have posted here and if we would be able to use in on our History page, I work for Miles Tea & Coffee (now based in Somerset) in the Marketing department, cheers.

Back