• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Steelhouse lane

Nice piccie, and I was in me prime in 1959 (there's a poem there if I can just get it together).
Until very recently, I had a lovely thermometer in the hall that came from Harrisons Opticians. It was a china one with the Harrisons logo and was given to me way back when by one of the managers, when it closed.
We had the hall redecorated and I dropped the darn thing onto the wooden floor - it shattered and I was in tears all that day. I really loved it and, of course, it's irreplaceable.

Hi

I have searched Photographs of Steelhouse Lane
for the Shops opposite the Gaumont.
Plenty of the Gaumont and the shops that lead to the General
Hospital.
My Mom worked at Stubers TV Rental for most of her Working Life.
The Shop was demolished in the early 1960's.
The shop was later moved to Stafford Street and finally
located in the New Market in the Bull Ring.
It closed in the early 1990's.

Mike Jenkd

Attachments

• City Steelhouse Lane Top of Snow Hill.jpg
    City Steelhouse Lane Top of Snow Hill.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting these photos. Charlie, I am very sorry you lost your
Harrison's memento. So sad. We used to call that building the "Rook with a Book" so memorable at night when lit up. We used to catch the tram outside
the Wesleyan & General for several years and then they moved the stops down to Whittall Street and Steelhouse Lane. I also recognize the General Hospital and the police station. That tall building just close to Lancaster Place had Pickford's offices in it for many years.

Moma P

Great picture well remember my first Job used to catch the tram to Aston from
down there started at the Norton does anyone remember down the side of the Gaumont on the opposite side was a Tropical fish shop used to spend most of my time in there had an Angel fish from there got it all the way home to hall green left it in the tank for an hour had a look at it and it turned over and died.Think it trying to tell me something?? Cost me Seven and a Tanner as well.

How I Remember Steelhouse Lane

Seeing the picture brings back memories on three accounts
1) My regular walk from Snowhill to Woodcock Street Baths most teatimes to do my training. Was there a Fishing Tackle Shop somewhere down on the left?
2) Dreamily walking into the path of a Fire Ambulance as it was beginning to drive out of the exit of the Fire Station at the bottom of Steelhouse Lane (being tugged out of its way by my sister)
3) The General Hospital where I worked as a Casualty Staff Nurse just after newly qualifying, then going on to being an Acting Sister in Charge of Surgical Ward 1-2
Now of course named the Princess Diana Children's Hospital I went on two trips down memory lane. The first time to show my husband the ward I worked on. It was much the same as I remembered it, even down to all my rearranging of the stationary cupboard! The second time the ward had become the classroom for the children. All the bedheads had computer terminals in order for the children to receive virtual schooling if unable to attend the classroom
I was overjoyed at the beautiful restoration of the Victoriana, that is if you could look past the installed Fire Regulatory walls and doors at the tops and bottoms of the gracious staircases. The Chapel, where I took my Oath was a very tranquil sanctuary.
Thank you for reminding me of all this. This is how I remember Steelhouse Lane!
Anne

Hi

Thanks for the Photographs. Attached another
showing Ponds Tools and the row of shops mentioned.
I use to walk every day from the Firestation to Snowhill
to catch the bus to school in Handsworth.
The Gun shops there were several.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• City Steelhouse Lane 1954  x.jpg
    City Steelhouse Lane 1954 x.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 42
In Kelly's 1949 there are a number of gun shops in Steelhouse Lane but one George Bate at number 132 they were a gunsmiths who also sold fishing tackle.I remember them in the 70's when they had moved to Colmore Circus,where they were still selling guns and tackle, I think it was mainly game fishing tackle,fly rods and such rather than co.... fishing,and everything seemed to be very expensive.

Colin

The Beginning of the End

Thank you for answering my query about whether I remembered correctly about the fishing tackle shop.
I have since found this picture and it represents the beginnings of the redevelopment and....it looks as if the gunshop/fishing tackle shop will be the next to go.
Anne

In Lighter Mood -Tongue Twisters
Had Ed edited it?
Stick these six thick thistle sticks in the sixth thick thistle stick stack

Attachments

• City Steelhouse Lane 1961.jpg
    City Steelhouse Lane 1961.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 47
Hi

The pictures shows the end is nigh
of Steelhouse Lane. Only the Gaumont survives
Moms shop Stubers is somewhere in the huge hole.
Never fathomed out this huge hole it was always
difficult to walk say from Snowhill to the General Hospital
once this underpass was built. We all became Moles
in this period and the underpasses were a muggers
paradise at night.
It seems the Wooden steps up to the Gaumont are
a tribute to the Builders.
The sound of Music was on at the Time.
I remember a great Chines restaurent somewhere down below.
Around this period in the Mid 60's spent someyears working in
West Berlin. Had the great distiction in 1966 of Watching the
World Cup final in a Cinema on the Kuferstendamm in relative
silence.
The area and the Wooden steps reminded me of the Wall constructed
all around Birmingham driving us folks underground.
Clearly not for the same reasons but the effect was the same.
Huge areas of the City were vituallt lost to huge underground
structures where once we strolled.

Mike Jenks

Attachments

• City Steelhouse Lane (3).jpg
    City Steelhouse Lane (3).jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 35
I notice that the picture on the left of Colmore Circus was taken on 7th November 1965. I met my husband at Birmingham Art College and we started dating on 31st October 1965. We could have been on the photo holding hands! We caught the No 64 bus home to Erdington just down by the hospital opposite the Police Station - and we often went into The China Garden for a curry first. We also went to see The Sound of Music. Did anyone go to the dances at the CAT - College of Advanced Technology - which was by the Fire Station - it's now the University. I remember the pater noster lifts there - very scarey. We saw amongst others Zoot Money, Alan Price and The Bonzo Dog Dooda Band. Those were the days. Still together after all this time.

Lovely memories of this `Lane` for so many. I worked in Lloyd House in l962
on the 9th floor. It was an offshoot of GEC on the 9th floor, so that area was much traversed by myself. I visited Brum at Xmas l965 and went with my
Mother to see the `Sound Of Music`at the Gaumont. It must have had a long run there because Mom and Dad were the xxxxxxxxxxx(not sure) patrons to view the film there one afternoon and had their photos taken and given chocolates and a plant. Birmingham Mail building gone now as well and so much new building going on in Snow Hill. There has been talk of pulling down the Dental Hospital but not for a while.

Mike, it certainly was a strange arrangement when they built the underground passages around Lewis`s and Steelhouse Lane, a bit frightening at night. Also, the ones off Paradise Street were my brother avoided having his attache case stolen from him in broad daylight.

Historymaker, I don`t remember the aquarium shop off Steelhouse Lane.
Those Angel Fish are very hard to keep. I know because we had an aquarium and had no success with Angel fish. Lovely looking creatures.

Patfereday - I used to work as a permanent Temp in Birmingham in the 1960's, and was sent to work at the University buildings near the Fire Station for a couple of weeks, working as secretary, covering for holidays. It was the first and only time I have seen or been on paternoster lifts, and as you say, they were quite scary, having to jump on and off as they moved. Your post brought back memories of them that I had forgotten.

Anne

Thank you for answering my query about whether I remembered correctly about the fishing tackle shop.
I have since found this picture and it represents the beginnings of the redevelopment and....it looks as if the gunshop/fishing tackle shop will be the next to go.
Anne

In Lighter Mood -Tongue Twisters
Had Ed edited it?
Stick these six thick thistle sticks in the sixth thick thistle stick stack

Great photo of the gunsmiths bought a BSA air rifle there and know what I
still have it now think it was thirty bob.

Birmingham Mail building gone now as well and so much new building going on in Snow Hill. There has been talk of pulling down the Dental Hospital but not for a while.

Snow Hill is developing into Birmingham's new economic district. Expect much more construction and high rises, that's all I can say. Although, I haven't heard anything about the Dental Hospital being pulled down. Whilst it is a prominent site, I just can't see it happening due to the sheer cost involved in moving facilities and constructing new ones.

This might exceed some people's memories;) but in 1688, a set of almshouses were constructed on Steelhouse Lane. These were the second set in the city with the first being built in Digbeth by Lench's Trust. The two almshouses were demolished and replaced with another set of almshouses, also on Steelhouse Lane, in 1764. In 1824, Sarah Glover and Elizabeth Mansfield gave property for a Birmingham Orphans School Association if such should be founded, and in default for that, an almshouse for women. The almshouse for women was constructed in the 1830s.

In December 1818, the Steelhouse Lane Chapel was completed.

Erebus555, Great piece of information on the Almshouses and Steelhouse Lane thanks for posting! I wonder where the chapel was?

Erebus555....You are probably right that the city won't redevelop the
Dental Hospital...bottom line...the cost. Here is a link about the proposal for redevelopment but not at that site, in Selly Oak with outreach clinics in Stoke and Coventry. It's not good news since the place is bursting at the seams.
[FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]https://www.hobtpct.nhs.uk/_docs/board/trust/2005/200512/Encl%2006%20Dental%20Hospital_Outline%20Business%20Case.doc.

When I went for an interview in l972 at the Dental Hospital. I saw those paternoster lifts but refused to try and get on board. I took the stairs. People were jumping on and off ok but I didn't like the idea and was nervous about my interview.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Back