• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Army & R A F Recruiting Offices

Anyone know of an Army barracks/gun emplacement or the like situated in the Hollywood/Romsley area during WW11, Or even better, anywhere that the Royal Lincolnshire regiment were posted in the Midlands area,?

There was an AA gunsite, that my father said was in Crabmill lane which ran from Druids lane at the Maypole, Tom. He was R Warwicks Home Guard.
I'd never considered it before but those fields do carry across to Hollywood.

Those with an interest in the WW2 period might like to search staffshomeguard, there are links to Warwickshire cities there.

anyone ever go to "Park hall Camp" Oswestry ?
paul

My dad was at Park Hall Camp during the war before I was born. I was there a month ago walking along the old railway line between Gobowen and Oswestry. Park Hall Halt was by what is now The Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital, one of three top orthopaedic hospital in the country. I believe this was the former camp hospital. At Park Hall Halt I spoke to a man who was painting signs for the railway preservation society which is hoping to reopen the line.

anyone ever go to "Park hall Camp" Oswestry ?
paul

While at Hereford, we were taken to have a look around Park Hall camp.
Those of us that intended to stay "on the guns" were to be posted there. They would be in Fox (Continuation) Troop.
I wanted to be a signaller and for training was destined to be sent to Rhyl, (Bodelwyddan).

My wife has an appointment at Oswestry hospital soon, I can visit the camp site if you like Paul.

baz

Thanks for that lads, I only asked as it was the "Junior Guardsman's company" in late 50's early 60's, and was also a Royal Artillery Barracks, and ACF centre. how things change, I believe that the "Outward Bound Scheme" was also based there.
paul

There was a recruiting office in Digbeth in 1904. Advert from a programme for the Prince of Wales Theatre, Broad Street. There's an assumption here that "Smart Youths" frequented the theatre. Viv.

image.jpeg

A little late, but always better than never, the Army recruiting office on James Watt Street (c1961) and the R.A.F one on the corner of Albert Street - Dale End (c1953)above Wake's Greengrocers.

City James Watt St 1961.jpg City Albert St - High St 1953.JPG

Last edited:
Where did us who were about to Do our National Service go for the medical where you walked from cubicle to cubicle?..cough, bend over, stand on one leg, touch your toes close you eyes and touch your nose.....you are fit A1, Army, Navy or Royal Air Force? Uuuh Air F...., Army then for you. The day I was there I followed a young lad from the Black Country, we got to the doctor (they were all old) who looked at legs and feet and he looked at the lads legs and said'funny knees, what job do you do old chap? I'm nailing. Oh you are a carpenter?.......he looked at the lads knees again. They were very flat. The lad said no I'm nailing...this conversation went on for at least 10 minutes as we all stood there in our 1950s underpants, the victims were piling up in this cubicle and in the next cubicle we kept hearing a plaintive next or are we finished. Eventually the doctor said but if you are nailing you must be in a wood connected trade. The boy exasperated said in a very loud blackcountry voice, no I mek chains and I'm nailing in front of a b...?y fernice (furnace), all day long. He was signed off as medically unfit. However where was this?
Bob

For the life of me, I cannot remember where I had to go for my National Service medical in 1957 when it was decided that the R.A.F. could no longer do without me. Can anyone enlighten me where it was that I would have to go. I would appreciate your help. Regards. willey

I had 2 medicals when I joined the RAF in 1948, the standard entry medical and a much stricter medical when I applied for aircrew training, think that was at Halton, but not sure, (it was nearly 70 years ago !) and that was repeated every 12 months whilst flying. Eric

nice photo viv...i would love to know where my grandad joined up but i think it just says birmingham on his army records...i will have to check that out

There's a very good image of the James Watt office posted by Phil in post #28. Viv.

Back